Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Alan Partridge

Comments

• ‘It might just be a smooth, fat teenage boy’ had me laughing.
    And the ‘Partridge you wanker’ as he walked down the street.
    Yes, forgot those. They were highlights too
  • So i have only watched a few episodes here and there, my friends can quote it all and often will have a quote off every so often on a day out drinking. Do i just watch the new series and go from there or watch back through the old series then start on the new one? 
  • I love A P but found this underwhelming, although in comparison to the new Martin Clunes sitcom which preceded it,  it felt like genius. WARREN was unfunny in the extreme. I hated every character in it.
  • So i have only watched a few episodes here and there, my friends can quote it all and often will have a quote off every so often on a day out drinking. Do i just watch the new series and go from there or watch back through the old series then start on the new one? 
    Go back to The Day Today where we first met Alan (preferably on radio first) and then Knowing Me, Knowing You followed by I'm Alan Partridge which in my opinion is his peak and a quite amazing one! Plenty of other Partridge around, the 2nd series of I'm Alan Partridge is good in parts but doesn't touch series one which is a landmark in TV comedy. He's done loads of stuff on various satellite channels, loads and loads and he almost peaked again in the feature film Alpha Papa which I had to see twice in two days as it was so good. 
    I liked a lot of last nights show but it was quite an ambitious format to attempt. I hate canned laughter but sometimes comedy without it is odd, IAP Series 2 had the loudest most ridiculous laughter sound track. 
     I think Alan Partridge needs Armando Iannucci as much as he needs Steve Coogan. 
  • The awkward walk up the extremely elongated steps to interview the “Hacktivist” was very funny 
  • Riviera said:
    So i have only watched a few episodes here and there, my friends can quote it all and often will have a quote off every so often on a day out drinking. Do i just watch the new series and go from there or watch back through the old series then start on the new one? 
    Go back to The Day Today where we first met Alan (preferably on radio first) and then Knowing Me, Knowing You followed by I'm Alan Partridge which in my opinion is his peak and a quite amazing one! Plenty of other Partridge around, the 2nd series of I'm Alan Partridge is good in parts but doesn't touch series one which is a landmark in TV comedy. He's done loads of stuff on various satellite channels, loads and loads and he almost peaked again in the feature film Alpha Papa which I had to see twice in two days as it was so good. 
    I liked a lot of last nights show but it was quite an ambitious format to attempt. I hate canned laughter but sometimes comedy without it is odd, IAP Series 2 had the loudest most ridiculous laughter sound track. 
    Patrick Marber left halfway or just before series 2 of IAP I think, which probably affected the quality of writing as well 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Alice Clunt aside, that was weak repetitive filler. Partridge is a grasping dimwit, we get it. I can't decide is partridge morphing into Richard Madeley or vice versa? Both as funny as they are competent

What do you mean by filler? 
    Too few gags, blunders or funny set pieces, padded out with too much repetitive not funny stuff, all resting on the hope that AP just being the grasping dimwitted manbaby AP has always been, is still funny.  There's little mileage in satirising the format cos the "photogenic cue card reader(s) on a sofa magazine show" was always hollow and is thoroughly worn through, there's no flesh left on that carcass to pick over.  (The actual) Madeley and his hectoring drunk sidekick crushed that to death a generation ago.
  • I loved it. Watched quite a bit from behind a cushion, such was the cringe, but loved it. 
    I've always found it interesting that even though he's such an unpleasant character, but you can't help rooting for him. 
  • DA9 said:
    The awkward walk up the extremely elongated steps to interview the “Hacktivist” was very funny 
    It’s those little thngs that make it for me, Sidekick Simon’s nervous tics for example. His look as Alan walks towards him - then wiping his nose with his sleeve. File not found.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s ok but the Alice Clunt line was fucking hilarious.
    Palace what? 
  • I thought it was funny, Alan Partridge has never been belly laugh after belly laugh. It's awkwardness and embarrassment and he had plenty of it 

Steve Coogan does this stuff brilliantly, he gets how to make situations uncomfortable and having Lynne as his guard dog sniping at the other anchor had me giggling 
  • Just watched it again and without the weight of expectation I laughed a lot lot more. 
    Hopefully this now builds week on week, a bit like the first series of Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank
  • Has to be said that the actress who played Alan's co-host was absolutely brilliant. 
  • Watched the first half of it and found it boring. The two main series of I’m Alan Partridge were great, but haven’t found any of the spin offs since that good at all. 
  • cafctom said:
    Watched the first half of it and found it boring. The two main series of I’m Alan Partridge were great, but haven’t found any of the spin offs since that good at all. 
    I agree with the bit about I'm Alan Partidge. That was perfect and had me in fits and had some genuinely hilarious individual moments. The episode where he put the spike through his foot made me sick with laughter 
  • It's tempting to criticise but there were a couple of laugh out loud moments that make it better than practically all of the other comedy I've seen in the last few years. It shows just how high he set the bar all those years ago.
  • Partridge is akin to Marmite - I love it
  • Fumbluff said:
    Just watched it again and without the weight of expectation I laughed a lot lot more. 
    Hopefully this now builds week on week, a bit like the first series of Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank
    Have to say I preferred inner city Sumo
  • Sponsored links:

• Really torn between indifferent or Hating last nights episode 
  • Riviera said:
    So i have only watched a few episodes here and there, my friends can quote it all and often will have a quote off every so often on a day out drinking. Do i just watch the new series and go from there or watch back through the old series then start on the new one? 
    Without good writers the material suffers. The other problem is that much of what Partridge was spoofing has now become mainstream TV - most reality TV is garbage.
  • edited March 2019
    I do love a bit of AP ( that’s Partridge, not Pardew to be clear, though there are similarities  :/ ) and though I think the latest offering is a little hit and miss, a couple of bits last night actually made me laugh out loud. ( his history walk and his fighting  :)
    I am enjoying his filmed sequences the most, some of the parts on the sofa feel a bit less likely to me, but it’s still good to have him back  :)

• I thought it was better last night, can’t go wrong with a bit of Simon Farnaby...
  • Anybody doubting the quality of the new Partridge series should gain some perspective by tuning in 15 minutes early  and watching "Warren", the Beebs latest Martin Clunes vehicle. Dear lord, now thats a jawdropingly misrerable attempt at a sitcom!

Mind you, some people adore Mrs Brown's Boys so what do I know..!
  • Anybody doubting the quality of the new Partridge series should gain some perspective by tuning in 15 minutes early  and watching "Warren", the Beebs latest Martin Clunes vehicle. Dear lord, now thats a jawdropingly misrerable attempt at a sitcom!

Co-written by Paul McKenna......Hmmmm
  • Riviera said:
    Anybody doubting the quality of the new Partridge series should gain some perspective by tuning in 15 minutes early  and watching "Warren", the Beebs latest Martin Clunes vehicle. Dear lord, now thats a jawdropingly misrerable attempt at a sitcom!

Co-written by Paul McKenna......Hmmmm

He'd have his work cut out hypnotising me to believe that pile of shite is funny.
  • It's a different Paul McKenna.

https://www.pbjmanagement.co.uk/artists/paul-mckenna

As for Alan Partridge, I agree with 3blokes.
    The studio stuff is ok at best. The filmed stuff was better.
  • The Partridge Rankings of his main shows for me so far go:

1. I'm Alan Partridge Series 1
    2. Mid-Morning Matters Series 1
    3. I'm Alan Partridge Series 2
    4. Mid-Morning Matters Series 2
    5. Scissored Isles
    6. This Time (Provisional as only 2 eps in)
    7. Alpha Papa
    8. Knowing me knowing you
  • It's a different Paul McKenna.

https://www.pbjmanagement.co.uk/artists/paul-mckenna

As for Alan Partridge, I agree with 3blokes.
    The studio stuff is ok at best. The filmed stuff was better.
    And wide-awake you're back in the room.