Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sweden | Friday 15th June | 19.45pm kick-off

Comments

• Options
    Will be Rooney and wellbeck up front I am 100% certain of that

Agreed with the hodgson statement cappello and Sven would not have made the sub
  • Options
    Will be Rooney and wellbeck up front I am 100% certain of that

Agreed with the hodgson statement cappello and Sven would not have made the sub
    Not sure about that, Ukraine also looked very suspect in the air against France, might decide to give Welbeck a rest and not push him for three games in a week.
  • Options
    Footballs simple you score u should win ;-)
  • Options
    I thought England played well. Some of you have Sheffield Wednesday syndrome. We're not world class, but we aren't quite sh*t. That was an ok game.
    Milner doesn't have the speed to be on the wing in that set up, Gerrard should be in front of the midfield and Carroll needs to be fed better balls.
  • Options
    My man of the match....Roy Hodgson, Well played sir.

Best thing for me this tournament so far is that it's nice to see fans, players and management getting on with things without the burden of thinking that we're a quality team with a chance. In my (38 years) lifetime we've always been a not good enough team with some great players and way too much false expectation. Things are so much better now that seems to be acknowledged at this moment in time. (Ignoring the s** rag and their idiotic sheep readership)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I actually thought we had every chance of beating sweden at 2-1 down after watching the France v Ukraine match cos Ukraine were useless beyond belief and they had beaten Sweden
    Unless Ukraine really up their game , we should stroll through

How can sweden have more support than us at that game , do they all live in Kiev ??
  • Options
    Not the best quality but an enjoyable game all the same. Someone beat me to it saying it was reminiscent of a mid-table Premier League game as that is exactly what I thought.

I think Hodgson has done a great job. They just seem to be an England team again and last night played to the English strengths. Right call against France to go defensive (Chelsea Champions League style) but open out against similar type of opposition, i.e. Sweden.

• Options
    At the end of the game, my thoughts were how lucky we had been, but, I feel differently this morning. It's true that we aren't the best team ever at this level. It's true that Sweden were modest opposition. It's true that it was more like a mid-table Premier League game. However, we have got a draw against a team that play with a more 'continental' style and beaten a team that play with a more 'English' style. We were bound to look less assured o the ball because Sweden did not allow us time. We also have a squad that wants to make the most of its talents, which is more than can be said of recent teams.

If Rooney comes back and clicks, we might be a bit harder to beat than most of us thought a week ago. I'm not suggesting we are going to win this tournament, but we look like a team that will improve with time and give it their all and, as Charlton fans, we know the difference that makes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Great result! Never lost any faith in the boys tbph!

Anyone else think that Olof Mellberg looks like he's just got in from a 5 day booze fueled bender? Fair-play if he has like....
  • Options
    anyone else see Ibrahimovic's reaction when they scored their second last night - face to face with Hart!! I do beileve he uttered the sex travel words directly at Jo!!.....so glad he lost
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    anyone else see Ibrahimovic's reaction when they scored their second last night - face to face with Hart!! I do beileve he uttered the sex travel words directly at Jo!!.....so glad he lost
    Yeah I see that, he who laughs last eh.
  • Options
    Lots of positives to take out of the game but some of our defending was also woeful and at times we were all over the shop. The good thing is that, at least on here anyway, we recognise that despite our obvious failings there is a certain resilance and unity in the team and this can only be good for the future even if a better team than Sweden would have taken us apart yesterday.

• Options
    I was very impressed by Mellberg last night, every challenge we went for he seemed to win cleanly, and he was a major threat in the air too. And as for Imbrahimovic, I don't care who you are, the man is a complete joke on the rest of humanity. How can someone who's 6y foot 5 be that quick, that skillful, and have that hard a shot too? If his head was screwed on properly people would talk of him like they do about Ronaldo and Messi.

As for us, Johnson, Young and Milner were poor, would prefer that to read Walker, Walcott and Downing for the next match (I say Downing because I think we need to get balls into the box if Carroll plays, and Walcott cannot cross) Parker had a good game, as did Carroll, the rest were all much of a muchness in my eyes, but hey we got 4 points so far and have the opportunity to top our group, which I don't us to do as we'll probably get Italy then, and I'd rather we played Spain.
  • Options
    I actually thought we had every chance of beating sweden at 2-1 down after watching the France v Ukraine match cos Ukraine were useless beyond belief and they had beaten Sweden
    Unless Ukraine really up their game , we should stroll through

How can sweden have more support than us at that game , do they all live in Kiev ??
    No, but all their games are in Kiev.
  • Options
    he meant it but christ he is bad. NLA he really isnt a top player. he's not even a good player for man utd. i must watch a different game to the welbeck fan club.

thought we were poor again tonight but played against an even worse swedish side.

Glen Johnson is the one of the worst English fullbacks ive ever watched. Micah must be at home pointing and laughing.

Parker & Gerrard wont have enough in the engine to get through all these games.

Im dreading playing Spain if we get through

Still, England till i die woop woop
    Thank goodness for that, I'd hate to see what you had to say if you didn't like England mate...

• Options
    Zlatan is an enigma. So big and strong, so talented and yet with such a huge chip on his shoulder.

He must be a nightmare for the manager because they clearly don't have a chance without him yet I suspect he would struggle to get into a better team. Perhaps he would respect better players more?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Job done last night.

Not confident of progressing should we get through the group but cross that one if and when we get there.

Why do the commentators ignore Parker yet lick Gerrard's nether regions? A decent cross for Carroll's goal but went missing too often for me at other times.

Credit to Welbeck. I didn't rate him before this tournament but he is growing on me and in my view he meant that finish unlike Walcott!
  • Options
    Good second half.. England are improving .. albeit slowly. Why do experienced professionals earning a fortune so often look so tentative and indecisive ? .. Anyway, Uncle is getting a good performance overall from this patched up outfit.
  • Options
    he meant it but christ he is bad. NLA he really isnt a top player. he's not even a good player for man utd. i must watch a different game to the welbeck fan club.

thought we were poor again tonight but played against an even worse swedish side.

Glen Johnson is the one of the worst English fullbacks ive ever watched. Micah must be at home pointing and laughing.

Parker & Gerrard wont have enough in the engine to get through all these games.

Im dreading playing Spain if we get through

Still, England till i die woop woop
    Thank goodness for that, I'd hate to see what you had to say if you didn't like England mate...

lol...im just very critical of England...much more so than Charlton.
  • Options
    anyone got video highlights? last night was a blur!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How can sweden have more support than us at that game
    Could be because it's marginally closer for them or they have a larger disposable income, or it could be that as Swedes have invaded the Ukraine in large numbers in the past, they knew the route.
  • Options
    Very average England team up against very average Swedish team. Positives are we played with fight and team spirit but the negatives in terms of football are almost too many to list. We have what we have and I am glad for the fans and players that we are making the most of those meagre resources.
  • Options
    anyone got video highlights? last night was a blur!!
    It'll be on Eurosport today. They are always a day late.
  • Options
    We are trying , there is effort and skill on display even if not in abundance

In comparison to previous tournaments and mgmt there seems to be a touch of the Italia 90 feel about the squad and the resentment towards the mgr

If we can get to the same level of fan happiness as that year do you know what I would be very happy and satisfied with that
  • Options
    Let's get a couple of things straight.

None of these players people claim are Shit, crap, rubbish, poor are any of that. They may not be the best in their position in the world, but they would still piss all over what we have been raving over and singing about for.the.last season.

We will not win this competition because our players are not as good as some other nations. But it now looks like we might qualify, which.many of us, including myself, thought we might not do. It was a decent game of high intensity football, and we.fought back well to win. Enjoy.

Agree.

More importantly for me is that the younger players are getting experience. This was Walcott 2nd game in a tournament and his first goal. He's 23 and should have had this opportunity a long time ago. At least he, Welbeck Carrol, Chamberlin are getting on the pitch in serious games not friendlies and should all be better for it.
  • Options
    Agree we did well to fight back and I unexpectedly enjoyed the game. I was however struck by the commentators rather relentless negative tone, notably Shearer and Hansen. I think we would all agree that our squad is unlikely to win because we don't have enough high calibre players and there's a lot of work still to do. But we did rather well with an unpractised cobbled together squad, a new manager who hasn't had the luxury of time to mould his squad, and who managed to get the substitutes spot on. The team spirit is much more in evidence and the players worked damm hard and we got a win. Surely some of that deserves recognition and praise from the sour pusses?
  • Options
    Regarding Welbeck, I don't think he's that good a player, but you don't have to be when you score goals which is his job. We all remember Derek Hales - but he was never a good player, but he knew where the back of the net was though.

Johnson was our best defender last night in what was an average performance for the defensive unit. Mellberg should never have been allowed a free header for their second.

All in all a more positive team outing than against France where England were set up to one job - not lose.

A question...why are we playing in that blue strip?
  • Options
    Watched the game on Al Jazeera Sports last night and it was a thoroughly enjoyable game. Jim Rosenthal chaired a panel comprising of Terry Venables, Glenn Hoddle & Ray Wilkins. They were all very knowledgeable & the show was excellent. Despite ValleyGary's assertations, they all rated Glenn Johnson as excellent! LOL.
  • Options
    I think it is well harsh that the Swede's first goal has been given as an o.g. to Johnson. Harsh on Johnson; harsh on Mellberg.
    Hart had made a good save and pushed the ball wide, it then hit Johnson who, unwittingly, pushed it back on target, and eventually in to the back of the net. It's a little unfair i guess. But in accordance to the rules.
  • Options
    Defo an own goal imo. Hart saved and if it hadnt of hit Johnson it wouldn't have gone in.

2nd goal was shocking defending. As soon as the ball was in the air you could see 3 swedes just waiting to pounce.

Well happy with the final result though and didn't actually think we would get back into it. Joe hart should have giving it the biggen to gonzo ibrahimavic after the game