Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saturday 5pm - The Netherlands v Denmark - Preview / Match Thread

The Netherlands v Denmark – Saturday 9 June, 5pm kick off

Fifa rankings
:
The Netherlands 4
Denmark 9

The third game of the tournament sees the competition go east into the Ukraine. Birthplace of the Soviet nuclear industry, the university city of Kharkiv will play host to the opening game of Group B. In every football tournament there is a group of death, and this year it’s Group B.

Tactics

The Netherlands, regrettably, will not be playing the total football of Johan Cruyff. Under Bert van Marwijk, the Dutch will play in a more pragmatic fashion. However, 37 goals in 10 qualifying fixtures for this tournament, indicates they know where the back of the net is. When in possession they will pass their way forwards from the back and without the ball they will play a pressing game.

It is likely the Dutch will line up in a 4–2–3-1 formation. As a consequence of this formation, Klaas– Jan Huntelaar, top scorer in the Bundesliga, will not make the starting eleven. Wesley Sneijder will have a pivotal role to play in the centre of the 3, and his ability to link up with Robin van Persie, despite their personal differences, will be a key part of any Dutch success.

Denmark finished above Portugal in qualifying for Euro 2012 and are capable of upsetting the Dutch. Whilst lacking the talent of the brothers Laudrup, the Danes do have two former Addicks in their starting line up. Due to an injury to Thomas Sorensen, Stephan Andersen will start in goal, and taking his place on the wing will be Dennis Rommedahl. Denmark will play in a similar, but slightly more defensive, manner to the Dutch, and will begin the game in a 4-5-1 format. If Denmark are to progress Christian Eriksen will have to shine in his creative role and Nicklas Bendtner will need to score.

One to watch:
The Netherlands – Robin Van Persie
Denmark – Christian Eriksen

Odds:
The Netherlands to win 4 / 6
Denmark to win 5 / 1
A draw 13 / 5
(Paddy Power)

Prediction:

A comfortable win for the Netherlands, albeit not by a large margin of goals.

The Netherlands 2 Denmark 1

However, I would like to see, a free flowing game of beautiful football in the style of previous eras. A game which looks like its heading for a thrilling draw where the sides have shared 6 goals between them, until the penultimate minute of the game, when the ball finds its way to Dennis Rommedahl………….

Comments

• Options
    I've got one eye on the dutch. Step-dad from a young age is dutch, and i have a dutch name (just coincidence) half brother is dutch.

Got so much potential like the English have in previous tourni's, but it's a question of bottle.

HUP HOLLAND HUP
  • Options
    Nice write-up, good work.

I'll be keeping an eye on Rommedahl. He must have lost at least a touch of speed by now; not sure what else he'll bring.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the preview SheffieldRed, very nice.

Dane here. Can't wait to watch the game, though we've learned to lower our expectations, based on our results from the last couple of years - South Africa was a pretty good example (it really felt like we never arrived there two years ago). The positive thing is though, success has always been extra sweet, when it does come.

What a group we have landed in too, don't know what's up with Portugal and the draws we've been in recently, we seem to meet each other time and again... Though it's gonna be tough and the odds are completely against us, I quite like the underdog role. Here's hoping for a very exciting and entertaining game with a lot of good football. Don't count us out! Rommedahl, by the way, has been VERY important in the qualifications - look for the through passes from Eriksen out to him on the wing.
  • Options
    Good preview Sheffield.

Lookout, from what I've heard Dennis still has that pace, whether his ability has improved that I don't know.
  • Options
    Thanks SheffieldRed. Can't see beyond Holland for this one tbf. The Danes will always be well organised and give 100% and I'm looking forward to seeing Dennis again but think Robben's link up with RVP will ultimately be too good for them. Robben is still only 30 as well despite him seeming to be around for ever.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the write-up @SheffieldRed, nice one!
  • Options
    I see Andersen named as the starting keeper, is this the one who played for us?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Good preview Sheffield.

Lookout, from what I've heard Dennis still has that pace, whether his ability has improved that I don't know.

Dennis certainly hadn't lost his pace a few months back and as Sasquatch wrote he has beena very important part of the qualifying. As for ability try looking up his volley in the 1-1 in Oslo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuG9HgTnnA

One point in Sheffield's preview I would take issue with: whether or not Eriksen has the talent of a Laudrup is probably an unanswered question, he is only 20 and the mere fact that he should be (correctly, in my opinion) marked down as one to watch suggests the potential for far more to come.

And the fact that he and Dennis have spent so much time in Dutch football makes for an interesting match-up

• Options
    Netherlands V Denmark 2-1 Scorline (8-1 BetVictor)
    A Penalty to be awarded ( 3-1 Betfair)
    Van Bommel to be shown a card ( 7-4 Betfair)
  • Options
    I see Andersen named as the starting keeper, is this the one who played for us?
    Yes it is, as SR states in the preview. Pay attention at the back there boy! B-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Neverneverland Burgers are favorites .. but never underestimate the Vikings !!

Holland 1 v Denmark 1
  • Options
    That Rommedahl goal and his career in general make it all the more baffling - and frustrating - that he couldn't do it for us.
  • Options
    Best mate is a Dane, and got another Danish friend who has adopted Charlton as his English team, so despite having quite a few Dutch friends too, going to be rooting for the Vikings...
  • Options
    I was really surprised to see Rommer's pan on the tele last night. I didn't realise he was in the squad and thought he'd retired - something else I imagined, I guess. He must be knocking on a bit now though.
  • Options

Dane here. Can't wait to watch the game, though we've learned to lower our expectations, based on our results from the last couple of years - South Africa was a pretty good example (it really felt like we never arrived there two years ago). The positive thing is though, success has always been extra sweet, when it does come.

What a group we have landed in too, don't know what's up with Portugal and the draws we've been in recently, we seem to meet each other time and again... Though it's gonna be tough and the odds are completely against us, I quite like the underdog role. Here's hoping for a very exciting and entertaining game with a lot of good football. Don't count us out! Rommedahl, by the way, has been VERY important in the qualifications - look for the through passes from Eriksen out to him on the wing.
    Hi sasquatch. I'm a brit living in Copenhagen (been here the last 7 years). Yes, very much looking forward to the game and will be rooting for the Danes all the way - not only because of the Romm/Andersen link but also because my wife will never forgive me if I didn't (she is also Danish). :-)

Enjoy!

• Options
    Haha you've received the same orders I have! They didn't come on a fly-sheet headed "Oprop" did they? (try google if you don't understand)

In my case the Gestapo is 600km away but I have no doubt strenuous efforts will be made to ensure my compliance.
  • Options
    Haha you've received the same orders I have! They didn't come on a fly-sheet headed "Oprop" did they? (try google if you don't understand)

In my case the Gestapo is 600km away but I have no doubt strenuous efforts will be made to ensure my compliance.
    LOL! :-)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Danish flag put up in porch in Belvedere (wife of 47years is Danish) WE ARE RED WE ARE WHITE WE ARE DANISH DYNAMITE.
    She hates football but will watch the match. I will be texting Brother in Law in Denmark lives near Slagelse. (COYR)
  • Options
    edited June 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=aY3qivCJm3c

@ Dansk_Red & sasquatch something to get you in the mood guys. :-)

Kom så danmark!

• Options
    Holland/Germany double. 2/1 Betfair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

youtube.com/watch?v=aY3qivCJm3c

@ Dansk_Red & sasquatch something to get you in the mood guys. :-)

Kom så danmark!

Great! pumped up!
  • Options

Hi sasquatch. I'm a brit living in Copenhagen (been here the last 7 years). Yes, very much looking forward to the game and will be rooting for the Danes all the way - not only because of the Romm/Andersen link but also because my wife will never forgive me if I didn't (she is also Danish). :-)

Enjoy!

10 mins, the nerves!

Let's do this!!!
  • Options
    Very difficult to see on a bus in the glare of the sun and with no audio but I do believe it involved Charlton's only ever European footballer of the year - plus the occasional Elkjær. Tv'et look Line brunch of Björn Borgs though
  • Options
    Here we go then. Just had a couple of quid on Erikson @10/1 for 1st to score for his team. Can see Denmark scoring at some stage but still think Holland will have too much quality up front with RVP's form last season.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2012
    Andersen, always thought he was a decent keeper. Never really got the break with us.
  • Options
    Come on Denmark, two ex - Charlton players so you have to support them. Andersen was a great Keeper and as for Rommedahl I will always love him because of what he did at around 5:40 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6tjHpqOJk
  • Options
    Ditto WSS - thought he's replace Deano long term but didn't quite happen.

Holland are looking dangerous so far.
  • Options
    The Rocket! shame the cross was poor though
  • Options
    All Holland so far. Denmark giving the ball away far too cheaply.
  • Options
    Rommedahl has definitely still got pace!