Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is currently the most loved man in English football ?

In terms of 'across the board' endearment ?

Of course we are ridiculously biased, but I really struggle to see past Chris Powell with this one.

He currently holds the most ultimate 'hero' status with us.

He is classed as a 'legend' by Southend and Derby fans

He is loved by Leicester fans.

More importantly, you will rarely, if ever, hear a bad word said about him by fans of other clubs.

So is there anyone else currently in the game who holds similar appeal and universal favour similar to SCP currently does ?

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Gary Lineker
  • David Beckham.
  • Sepp Blatter!!!
  • John Terry?
  • SCP is the supreme being. Omnipotent even. End off. Roy Hodgson always seems like a decent fella as well.
  • Powell isn't necessarily most loved but certainly one of the most respected and agree nobody really has a bad word about him. I would think that Beckham is probably still the most loved Englishman in the game
  • fabrice muamba
  • Maybe Johnboy can enlighten us but given his prolific goal scoring record against Spurs I imagine fans there aren't too fond of CP?
  • Powell isn't necessarily most loved but certainly one of the most respected and agree nobody really has a bad word about him. I would think that Beckham is probably still the most loved Englishman in the game
    I'd agree with that tbh. You cant look past Becks. Despite his rough start and getting sent off against the Argies back in '98, the boy has come good. He's won everything in the game possible at club level, he's loved around the globe. We'd all want to be him, given half a chance.

• Sponsored links:

• Becks nailed on, even the people who claim he is a thick girly Essex boy with a stupid voice can't argue with what he has done in his career, and the amount of money he has made for himself in endorsements and sponsorship. Throw in the fact he comes across as down to earth and shy, and is an ambassador for the UN, and he's probably a contender for most liked person in the world.
  • Maybe Johnboy can enlighten us but given his prolific goal scoring record against Spurs I imagine fans there aren't too fond of CP?
    TBH, isnt it common knowledge that Powell is a life-long Spurs fan? You dont dislike your own, do you? Never heard anyone say a bad word against him.

• Beckham
  • Gotta be Steve Claridge for his amazing in depth analysis and unending knowledge of the game. ;-O
  • Well it certainly aint Steve Jones....that's for sure!
  • Joey Barton or Steve Keane, I can't decide.
  • edited May 2012
    Let's not get carried away.

He has done a good job with us in the 3rd division.

He was a hard working and committed player but the most loved man in English football. No.
  • I'd say that whoever comes top of most loved man in English football is probably quite low down in the list of most loved Englishman.
  • Powell may be the most loved amongst those who know him, but I bet a lot of Prem fans barely know who he is (and then only because he is one of the few black managers in the game).

More high profile and liked by almost all -

Rodgers, Martinez, Holloway, David Whelan, O'Neill
  • Stuart Hall & Geoff Hurst!
  • Sponsored links:

• Gary Neville .. he is SOOOOO cute !!
  • Martinez
  • Clark Carlisle seems like a top bloke.
  • Let's not get carried away.

He has done a good job with us in the 3rd division.

He was a hard working and committed player but the most loved man in English football. No.
    I agree PL.....not yet.
    However, he's slowly but surely getting there and I'd say there's a damn good chance he will be before too long as he's showing up on the radar more and more as the club regains a higher profile.
    The marvellous thing is he's not actually 'working at it' (as some are clearly seen to do), he's quite simply a thoughroughly likeable, decent, unasuming man.

• David Beckham is probably, apart from the Royal family, the most famous English person in the world in my opinion & incredibly respected within the game
  • Chris Hughton is a decent man.
  • Greavsie!
  • It was Bobby Robson before his death probably.

Hard to say now. Bobby Charlton or Geoff Hurst perhaps because of 1966.
  • Personal favourites - Martinez, Holloway and Dave Whelan. Love Dave Whelan's attitude to the game. Shame others arent like it.
  • Zola always comes accross as a likeable bloke