Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cockchafers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Don't get them since we dug up our lawn and layed paving; used to like the bumbling idiots crashing into walls and falling upside down.
    The grubs are truly gross though and bloody huge
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    What's the matter with you all? Insects are absolutely beautiful creatures. I encourage the wasps into our garden by feeding them honey.

I haven't had the pleasure of one of these yet, but I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to my first cockchafing experience.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be another thread about taking your sweaty pants off before bed for a minute.
  • Options
    What's the matter with you all? Insects are absolutely beautiful creatures. I encourage the wasps into our garden by feeding them honey.

I haven't had the pleasure of one of these yet, but I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to my first cockchafing experience.
    Watch life in the undergrowth and tell me Wasps are beautiful. I like all of nature, except Wasps who are the manifestation of pure evil in flying stripey form.

• Options

Watch life in the undergrowth and tell me Wasps are beautiful. I like all of nature, except Wasps who are the manifestation of pure evil in flying stripey form.

I do regularly EA. They are fantastic.
  • Options

What about the hornet then Stig, surely they are the work of Beelzebub (even though I do enjoy your photos of the stripey bringers of death & pain...)?

• Options
    Don't get them since we dug up our lawn and layed paving; used to like the bumbling idiots crashing into walls and falling upside down.
    The grubs are truly gross though and bloody huge
    Blow me down if the wife didn't just call me upstairs to get one out of the bedroom.
    Turned off lights and coaxed him into the bathroom where he smacked against the wall and landed upside down the the (empty) bath.You've got to love them. Safely released!

• Options

What about the hornet then Stig, surely they are the work of Beelzebub (even though I do enjoy your photos of the stripey bringers of death & pain...)?

I can't really comment on hornets as I don't have any experience of them. Would love the chance to get some photos of one though.

This is my weirdest encounter - a palm weevil. I should have killed it apparently as they spell death to palm trees, but I didn't know that at the time. Bad photo, but it was incredibly difficult in the half-light with the weevil in one hand and camera in the other.

• Options
    thats not a palm weevil thats an almond nut with a nose.
  • Options
    I can't really comment on hornets as I don't have any experience of them. Would love the chance to get some photos of one though.

I deal with between 40 - 70 hornet nests a year out here.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    We used to see them when living out there and you certainly take notice if there's a hornet buzzing about your picnic. Stig would be a brave man to have one pearched on his finger when it the same size as it!
  • Options
    A queen from a few weeks back.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    A queen from a few weeks back.

Dualit toaster...ooh get you ;-)

[checks to make sure it's not one of those pictures that people try to sneak onto eBay}
  • Options
    Love me toast! ; )
  • Options
    Are they stag beetles?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Are they stag beetles?
    no, you're probably thinking of stag beetles ;-)

Stage beetles are usually black, about double the size, don't usually fly and have antler-like jaws.
    Cockchafers are brown, love flying into windows and have red "leaves" on their antennae.

• Options
    Are Stag beetles getting scarce? Used to be loads when I was a pup and cant remember now when I saw one last.
  • Options
    That hornet's a monster....they don't half pack a punch too (unfortunately I know from bitter experience). Run away!
  • Options
    Are Stag beetles getting scarce? Used to be loads when I was a pup and cant remember now when I saw one last.
    generally yes I think, but quite common around SE London

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I still haven't seen a cockchafer, but I have seen several of these:

The Dagger Fly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone nurtured their own bot fly?
  • Options
    Thought this was about my underwear draw !