Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

cockchafers

edited May 2012 in Not Sports Related
has anyone else got these critters buzzing around the garden in the evening and crashing into windows?
(more info)

Comments

• Yeah, we get them mate, sound like a blaaady chinook in the quiet of the night!
  • Insert joke here...............!
  • i was wondering what they were. i hate beetles. they are given wings (by the way no pun here intended) when they clearly don’t know how to use them properly.
    i remember being in italy a few years ago and these bloody fruit beetles were everywhere thanks to a fruit tree outside the apartment. they fly into you....usually aiming for the face. if you swat them away it feels like your hitting a golf ball.
  • my aim is to destroy insectkind this spring/summer as they are pointless tossers.
  • my aim is to destroy insectkind this spring/summer as they are pointless tossers.
    I'll be out smashing any troublesome wasps and hornets, it's my job....

• Is it me or is there new insects this year? One in my room last night was a cross between a daddy longlegs and a beetle.
  • Right now if you were to jump 100 feet in the air, you would discover there's something like 1 billion bugs flying overhead, right now. There's a bug superhighway over our heads and we never see it! True, if somewhat tenuous story. https://www.wimp.com/bughighway/
  • I think I saw one in Australia. Stupid things that fly full speed in to things and die as a consequence!
  • I think I saw one in Australia. Stupid things that fly full speed in to things and die as a consequence!
    That would be the kamikazechafer!

; )
    I'll be out smashing any troublesome wasps and hornets, it's my job....

like the way you got the "made in england" bit on the measuring tape!

get rid of the feckers before i get there mate or we'll have ross jumping around like a little girl.......
  • Sponsored links:

• HaHa Just noticed that as it goes. ; )
  • We used to get them in our corner of Swanley until we got rid of our pond a couple of years ago and now we don't get them at all. Have to admit they were a PITA at this time of year but only used to last for about 2-3 weeks. Have you ever swallowed a Cockchafer? I can tell you it ain't pleasant.
  • Right now if you were to jump 100 feet in the air, you would discover there's something like 1 billion bugs flying overhead, right now. There's a bug superhighway over our heads and we never see it! True, if somewhat tenuous story. https://www.wimp.com/bughighway/
    i'm in an office over 100ft up and can't see anything..;o)

• are they june bugs or is that something different?
  • edited May 2012
  • Can @Lincs blame the Olympics for them ?
    Maybugs, if you have a dig about the garden, you might see a few wholes and inside are their larvea. Big maggots upto an inch long!
    Yes, but I knew them as Maybugs when I was growing up!

Haven't had any crashing into my windows yet this year but I'll be on the lookout now.

• as of next Friday do Maybugs become Junebugs?
  • as of next Friday do Maybugs become Junebugs?
    No, they just die.

; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Have you ever swallowed a Cockchafer?
    Only after rohypnol
  • Ha ha. Nice one DM!
  • Huh, you should try life in Thailand or Malaysia
  • Huh, you should try life in Thailand or Malaysia
    Perv

• Poor little buggers. They spend 3 years stuck in the ground as larvae and when they finally hatch and spread their wings, they only live for up to 6 weeks, only if they're lucky enough not to come across one of you nasty killers............................................

Save the cock thingys......................................

• edited May 2012
    And they have to put up with all the other insects taking the piss out of their name (except the dung beetles)
  • Is it me or is there new insects this year? One in my room last night was a cross between a daddy longlegs and a beetle.
    Sign of climate change.

Palaeoclimatolgists use beetles in the fosil record as a way of tracking climate changes. Because they have wings they are able to move rapidly to different parts of the globe as they warm up and cool down to become more/less hospitable to that thype of species. Same goes for plants and other animals but they either take a longer time to move or don't appear in great enough numbers in the fossil record to be useful.

Theory is if you know the rocks from 250 million years ago that were deposited near the equator have species A in it and rocks form 60° N don't but at 240 million years old species A is no longer seen near the equator but is seen at 60° N then you can infer that the world was warming between between those two times and that 60°N was a similar temperature at 240 million years to the equator at 250 million years.

• It's not just insects, EA, last night there was a programme on Radio 4 about how jellyfish are taking over the NE Atlantic due to increased sea temperatures and the ecosystem is royally screwed as a result.

Reminds me of when I jumped on top of* a mediterranean woodlouse spider in my sister's living room in Troughton rd, Charlton in 1991. They have now spread throughout the country as they can breed due to the milder climate, whereas before they couldn't get a toehold...

*my tiny nephew was asleep upstairs and the thing looked freaky and I didn't want to take a chance. Yes, they can harm humans!
  • Had one of these may bug things indoors last night chasing it around at 11pm they make an fffing noise I know that!

Got a great pic of it in a glass before it got lobbed out the window
  • Horrible things, they stick to you.