Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Average speed cameras

2»

Comments

• Options
    In my job, I get to drive past speed cameras (Mostly on the A2) and I am shocked how many don't actually flash. The most active camera I know of is the one coming down Gravel Hill. Its always flashing.
  • Options
    Some (if not all) of the A2 cameras are now the smaller digital type that don't flash when taking images, it's only the bigger speed cameras that still flash.
  • Options
    All depends if they are loaded with film, you can usaully tell because the locks are visable on the back if they are!
  • Options
    But you have passed them when you see the back!
  • Options
    I find that if you go past them at over 139mph, they can't get your registration :-)
  • Options
    Yep they work and you get done....believe me...............54 average speed in 50 area......done!
    If you got done for 54 in a 50 zone, then you should appeal. Car speedometer reads +\- 10% and there is no way the police would nick you, they would stop you if you are going 10% + 1 mph.
  • Options
    All depends if they are loaded with film, you can usaully tell because the locks are visable on the back if they are!
    Bit late when you can see the back
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yep they work and you get done....believe me...............54 average speed in 50 area......done!
    If you got done for 54 in a 50 zone, then you should appeal. Car speedometer reads +\- 10% and there is no way the police would nick you, they would stop you if you are going 10% + 1 mph.
    I think you'll find that's a guideline which is ignored by some police forces. Warwickshire Police did my wife for 54 in a 50 limit, the b*$&*$ds
  • Options
    Can you not appeal stating your speedo read 50?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bit late when you can see the back
    No shit, but I bet you look when you travel back in the opposite direction ! Point is they all flash but only some are loaded.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Specs cameras do work.
    What many incorrectly (and consequently expensively) think about them is that they measure your speed at one camera and at the next, divide the answer by two and get an average. So if you brake for the cameras you won't get done.
    Instead they log your time of arrival at one fixed point and then at the next and use the times to calculate what speed you were travelling at over the fixed distance between the sets of cameras. They don't actually measure your speed at all as per radar or lasers based cameras like Gatso or Tuvelo.
    They don't flash, they are digital and record very single vehicle going through them whatever the weather, day or night.
    What you can never be sure about is which cameras are linked on a long strech of roadworks. It could be the first set to the fourth, the second to the third or whatever.
    The ACPO guidelines (I think) suggest that the cameras should log cars travelling at the speed limit + 10% + 2mph. This to avoid issues with most cars having inaccurate speedometers. So in a 50mph limit the cameras will get you if you are travelling over 57mph. That would probably be at around an indicated 60mph for most speedometers.
    That's why if you've set cruise control to 50 you'll see people zooming past you. Either that or their GPS device is measuring their actual average speed for them or they've hidden up behind a lorry going through one set of cameras!
    As stated above the changing lanes thing doesn't help - that loophole was closed some while ago.
  • Options
    Can you not appeal stating your speedo read 50?
    No. The Court would not believe you.
    To avoid being sued by unhappy motorists all manufacturers fit over-optimistic speedos. That's why your speedo and your trip computer never show the same figures. My trip computer says I'm averaging 57mph when my speedo says I'm travelling at 60mph.
    No one will ever get done for breaking the speed limit if their speedometer said they weren't. In the main people just tell fibs about what speed they thought they were travelling at. (I was fitted up Guv, honest!)
  • Options
    Used to be that you could not be done if you were in a different lane when passing under each camera. This was because the system was not "Type Approved" for this situation, but that changed last year, so changing lanes now makes no difference.
    They are usually active in roadworks. A friend of mine got done on two successive days when they widened the A2 near Gravesend a few years back.

If you want to see if you have any speed camera tickets in the pipeline check your car reg.on this website.
    http://www.i-database.co.uk/

Checked - me too, and I've got one against my reg for 13th May - last Sunday -
    County ID
    N5/Geo/Gov
    Town
    Leiston,
    Road
    A30
    Grid Ref
    TR665789
    Camera Ref
    Speed Limit
    60mph
    Speed Recorded
    73.8mph
    Date of Offence
    Confirmed on May 13 2012

Wasn't any where near Leiston - don't even know where it is! Are these for real?
  • Options
    Check the picture of your offence.
  • Options
    It's a cruel spoof site. No one would spend money collecting this data on a national basis (or making it available to all and sundry in breach of data protection legislation). No doubt you get some nice malware to go with that sick feeling. Don't enter the site at all. It's owned by a firm called Big Idea Media - whoever they are!
  • Options
    Average speed cameras do not flash. As explained above they calculate the speed over distance and divide by cameras. There are such cameras in the Limehouse Link and they have left the old cameras in place. This causes the occasional users to think they can speed after the first camera and slow for the next.

A friend was caught doing 22mph on Tower Bridge and found herself in a Speed Awareness Course with 9 police officers who had all being just over the limit.

The old cameras had film which had to be removed and processed. This was an expensive process and the cost was very high. To create an impact some cameras that did not have film were fitted with flash units. These were moved around to confuse us all. Many cameras now are digital and may not flash. They can be linked to an automatic penalty issuing system.

I suspect that they only process a percentage of the speeding drivers each day (the worst offenders).
  • Options
    the website is bollocks says i have one in Middlesborough never been there in my life

But i know of 2 people who have been done
  • Options
    oh dear just looked at the pic LOL very good
  • Options
    I was told today that there are a couple of cameras on the gantries of the M20 London bound just after the A249 that have come into play. I've looked on the internet and can't seem to find anything. I was told that this has been in the local papers in the Medway. People have been complaining because they have been put in place without any warning given to motorists.
  • Options
    Weren't they warned of what the speed limit was when they took their driving tests then?