Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Average speed cameras

Just wondered has anyone ever been done for speeding when there is a section of road with an average speed limit.

I quite often see people racing past me when I've set my speed to 49mph especially at the M3 southbound just after you exit the M25.

Comments

• Options
    Never been done. Don't believe these cameras measure average speed. If I'm wrong I've been lucky lots of times.
  • Options
    Never been done myself. But they work on how long it takes you to get from the start to the finish, and if you're quicker than a set time then you get a ticket. However, they apparently don't work if you switch lanes between cameras as then they don't detect you.
  • Options
    Oh and the other thing there only seems to be two cameras but three lanes.

How does that work?
  • Options
    I've never heard of anyone getting caught by them.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    There must be a big margin for error, cos I've done well over the average speed allowed all the way through many a time and never been done yet.

Call me Mr Cojones.
  • Options
    Yep they work and you get done....believe me...............54 average speed in 50 area......done!
  • Options
    Yep they work and you get done....believe me...............54 average speed in 50 area......done!
    Solly to hear that RM.

Judging by the people who fly past me they must rake it in especially as, going by the comments on here, most people don't seem to think they work.

• Options
    It's also whether or not they're operational. A lot of stretches of motorways have them but they aren't in use. They're only there to have traffic going slower to protect the miles of cones next to the roadworks where tons of invisible workmen are improving the nation's road network.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yes. My daughter and I shared the driving back from up North one day and it happened to be her turn when we came through the M1 roadworks. There was no-one working on the site at any point and she overdid it a bit (60mph) in the 50 mph limit and we got a letter a week or so later. But that was the temporary 'specs' type cameras, the permanent ones, I've been told, are rarely operational: certainly those on the M25 after J10 (w'bound) don't seem to bother anyone and the fast lane is, well, as fast as ever. It seems the ones nearest to Heathrow are the ones most likely to work. In my car delivery days I had to stick to the limits as it was the customer that got the notification and on one or two occassions I had to say that they might be hearing from OB but fortunately it never happened. The only time I know I hammered it on the M3 (M-Benz E55 AMG: couldn't help myself!) I didn't hear anything.
  • Options
    Never been done myself. Like Ross I've been told by a few people they can't detect if you switch lanes. Always have that in my head and change lanes at some point when going through them. Maybe makes no difference but never had a ticket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I go past that M3 one daily and I'm normally at or around 60mph, yet to be done for it.

The reason they're there is primarily about traffic flow, and they do work on the whole.
  • Options
    Never been done myself. Like Ross I've been told by a few people they can't detect if you switch lanes. Always have that in my head and change lanes at some point when going through them. Maybe makes no difference but never had a ticket
    Used to be that you could not be done if you were in a different lane when passing under each camera. This was because the system was not "Type Approved" for this situation, but that changed last year, so changing lanes now makes no difference.
    They are usually active in roadworks. A friend of mine got done on two successive days when they widened the A2 near Gravesend a few years back.

If you want to see if you have any speed camera tickets in the pipeline check your car reg.on this website.
    http://www.i-database.co.uk/
  • Options
    Although they're not 'average speed' cameras, does anyone know if the variable speed cameras catch anyone? I'm particularly thinking of the M20 junctions 4 -7. I use this stretch every day and am always wary and keep to the limit, but yet again people go past me above the prevailing speed limit, so wonder if they do work. Have never wanted to risk it just in case!
  • Options
    the ones on the M25 between j29 and the Dartford bridge certainly do - I got caught there coming back from the Huddersfield away game the other month !! I don't know how they work - but they do !!!
  • Options
    Used to be that you could not be done if you were in a different lane when passing under each camera. This was because the system was not "Type Approved" for this situation, but that changed last year, so changing lanes now makes no difference.
    They are usually active in roadworks. A friend of mine got done on two successive days when they widened the A2 near Gravesend a few years back.

If you want to see if you have any speed camera tickets in the pipeline check your car reg.on this website.
    Haha!! nice one!! I sh*t myself as Im on 9 points!!
  • Options

That website has me speeding in Woking last Friday. I have never been to Woking.
  • Options
    Look at the image gilbert !
  • Options
    Got done on the M25 coming back from Chesterfield ,so from M1 junction around that area 73mph in a 50mph zone(yes I know I'm a twat) but it was 1am and the poxy junction from M1 to M25 eastbound had been closed so was driving home quicker so I didn't fall asleep...
    I believed they didn't work but they do
    3pts and £60 fine pushing me up to 10pts all coming back from Charlton games ffs
    4pts from colchester away in 2009 when I ended up on the poxy A127 cos of roadworks , so gotta drive sensibly for 4 months to stop getting a ban
  • Options
    With average cameras I believe there are a number of cameras on the stretch but only 2 are ever on. Not that it makes any difference cos u can't tell
  • Options
    My brother got done a while back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tower Bridge 20mph and they do enforce it
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Why take the risk? I'm a 20 year old driver and 0 points on my license help keep my premiums down.
  • Options
    My best mates just been done by the ones on the A13
  • Options
    Although they're not 'average speed' cameras, does anyone know if the variable speed cameras catch anyone? I'm particularly thinking of the M20 junctions 4 -7. I use this stretch every day and am always wary and keep to the limit, but yet again people go past me above the prevailing speed limit, so wonder if they do work. Have never wanted to risk it just in case!
    Yes they work. Seen them flash many a time. Not sure that they all work though. May just be a few of them.
  • Options
    On the M4 around Newport that had a 50mph section with average speed cameras in place for a couple of years and according to this report on the BBC website the cameras certainly worked:

"Average speed cameras have been in operation along the stretch of the M4 since September 2009.

The cameras trigger penalty notices when the 50mph limit is exceeded.

More than 6,500 drivers have been issued with tickets according to figures in December 2010."

Also more info on how the tickets are issued and what you can get away with: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/04/08/just-over-2-000-caught-exceeding-50mph-m4-limit-91466-26196707/
  • Options
    I am convinced that 90% are not working but the problem is you don't know which ones. Bloody things are like a plague though everywhere you go.
  • Options
    That stretch on the M1 at the mo is beyond belief ... must be at least twenty miles, nothing happening, just thousands of cones...
  • Options
    Got done on the M25 coming back from Chesterfield ,so from M1 junction around that area 73mph in a 50mph zone(yes I know I'm a twat) but it was 1am and the poxy junction from M1 to M25 eastbound had been closed so was driving home quicker so I didn't fall asleep...
    I believed they didn't work but they do
    3pts and £60 fine pushing me up to 10pts all coming back from Charlton games ffs
    4pts from colchester away in 2009 when I ended up on the poxy A127 cos of roadworks , so gotta drive sensibly for 4 months to stop getting a ban
    Stop going to away games. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    Look at the image gilbert !
    Doh!
  • Options
    If they stopped using average ones, and invested in really good ones, they could catch more people. IMO.............