Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Randolph named in PFA team

Republic of Ireland International goalkeeper Darren Randolph has been included in the PFA’s SPL Team of 2011/2012.

The 24-year old former Charlton stopper has been sensational for the Steelmen in his two years at Fir Park, keeping an astonishing 34 clean sheets in 92 appearances in Claret and Amber.
He has provided the backbone for Motherwell’s third-place finish in the league this year and remains, without doubt, one of the most talented keepers in the country.
Although he has been included in several Republic of Ireland squads, he has yet to make his full debut for Giovanni Trapattoni but remains in contention for a place in the party heading to Poland and Ukraine this summer for Euro 2012.

Comments

• Options
    Can't say I'm surprised, didn't want him to leave here.
  • Options
    a very good keeper
  • Options
    DEEEEANOOOO!
    Congratulations to him, a good keeper.
  • Options
    Good on him, A great keeper as others have said.
  • Options
    Well done Randy - was a criminal decision letting him go, always was a better keeper than Elliot and better than Hamer too imho. Would welcome him back in the summer if we were to go in for him.
  • Options
    I don't think we had much choice Exiled - out of contract and had a better offer.
  • Options
    A good keeper and getting better it would seem
  • Options
    I think NLN is right - at the time the club had to go for the cheapest option.

Can't see him coming back - Motherwell are in Europe aren't they?!
  • Options
    He's literally never played "in claret and amber" (second pedantic post of the day!), but he's done well up there. If I remember rightly he allegedly wanted money that we just couldn't afford for what was a second choice keeper at the time. Who would you say so far has built a better career, Robbie or Randolph ?
  • Options
    He was always the better keeper - would have him back anytime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could he do the business in the championship?
  • Options
    Good keeper but he is playing well in the SPL, probably not a much higher standard than League 1 so certainly don't think he is one that got away. Would be interested to see how he does in England now he is older and more experienced than the last time.

Am a big fan of Hamer though, we have moved on.
  • Options
    I did like Randolph but I always felt he was a little over-hyped. He was good but I never felt he was that good. It's good for him getting in to team of the year, though he's only competing against 11 other players in a league so bad it's technically a war crime to show it in some countries
  • Options
    PFA SPL's team of 11/12?

That's one up from the Maidstone and District U15 Guides team of the season.

• Options
    He'll be playing in the Champions' League next year...
  • Options
    Good keeper but wanted dough that we could not afford, no huge loss.
  • Options
    Who would you say so far has built a better career, Robbie or Randolph ?
    I suspect that Elliott is earning more as Newcastle's back-up than Randolph is as a #1 in the SPL. This would be a good question to re-visit in say, 3 years time.

• Options
    Good keeper but wanted dough that we could not afford, no huge loss.
    And wanted a guarantee of first place

• Options
    NO better than Elliott!
  • Options
    I always felt he was clearly the better keeper and should have been number 1 a lot earlier than the 2009/10 run in. I accept there may have been certain financial hinderances but I'd have tried harder to keep Randolph and sold Elliot. Always rated Randy very highly after seeing him perform very very well at Anfield and think he was badly undervalued by the Pardew/Parkinson regimes. Imho, he should have been starting ahead of even Weaver as early as 07/08 and his development was stifled while with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parkinson thought an on-loan Carl Ikeme was a better bet. Pure madness.
  • Options
    Not sure about all the "better than Elliott" quotes but certainly a decent keeper. Young and inexperienced whilst with us, but too be honest it's one poxy league up there! Reckon most of us could keep clean sheets in the SPL.
  • Options
    NO better than Elliott!

Much better, I'd say.
  • Options
    The loan of Ikmeme kick started randolphs career as it gave him the KITA to improve his attitude and improve his training.

• Options
    This is why there is no argument over Parkinson's departure.

Great goalkeeper, I wish him the best in the champions league next season.
  • Options
    Pardew valued Randolph higher than Elliot, the guy gave him his Premier League debut.

Plus recalled him from a loan spell after Weaver got sent off against Plymouth instead of using Elliot.
  • Options
    then Pardew bought Elliot?
  • Options
    Bought? He came up through the youth system and is a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    then Pardew bought Elliot?
    Huh?
  • Options
    Randolph wasn't tall enough