Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goddards

2»

Comments

• I think PNE have Tennants - and they sell it inside their ground too !
  • ok wrong then :)
  • cafckev said:

Lets face it, we have sold off the food outlets, and we have sold off the club shop. We have no say in what is supplied and sold. They know we will buy it because we need food and will buy most Charlton related items because we are fans!

But those contracts must have expiry dates/break clauses ? I'm sure on this site we must have contacts with good, local suppliers. Perhaps by speaking to them, explaining the opportunity we'd be able to come up with a viable alternative menu which would be attractive enough to both the club and the fans.
  • BIG_ROB said:

Or just do Charlton Cocktails! Half a lager, half a cider with a red aftershock dropped in the middle! 4 quid!

the real winner
  • They'd soon sort it out if people stopped buying that rubbish, they had their chance with me this season and they stuffed it.
  • edited August 2013
    There are plenty of brewers in London these days. Really good ones too. Isn't the Mean Time founder a Charlton fan? If so, an affordable deal could be made, surely.

Not a great fan of Mean Time as there are better breweries in London and Kent, but they do a range of brews and are local and would be ten times better than Fosters and John Smith's. The Kernel at Tower Bridge, for instance is superb, but they would deffo be too expensive.

Goddard's would have been perfect too. I've stopped buying the food and drink at the ground (unless desperate and hungover) because it's the worst food and drink I have all week.
  • But aren't all the itk crowd banging on about us knocking local suppliers? Therefore, why would meantime, goddards want to supply us?
  • No idea if that's true, but if so, it's an own goal that costs the club, local suppliers and the fans alike.
  • A brand brewery just got funded to start up in the Arsenal! That might be worth it. Tho since its a fledgling company we don't know how good the product would be.
  • Plenty of good ideas on this thread. Surely it's not difficult to sell good locally-made grub and beer. For the latter, as SHG says above, Shepherd Neame ales from Faversham would be an excellent choice at a reasonable price. And Hurlimann, SN's lager, really packs a punch.
  • Sponsored links:

• We often went in the Cricketers (handy for the bus back to Eltham), quite enjoyed the Jazz band that used to play in there.
  • edited August 2013

Plenty of good ideas on this thread. Surely it's not difficult to sell good locally-made grub and beer. For the latter, as SHG says above, Shepherd Neame ales from Faversham would be an excellent choice at a reasonable price. And Hurlimann, SN's lager, really packs a punch.

Millis brewery from Dartford would be good to, they sell Gravesend Guzzerler and Dartford Wobbler.
  • If only someone was listening.

The sausage stall at Greenwich market would be much better than the street meat we flog. Local people who source their own stuff and the owner's dad's a Charlton fan.
  • Heineken currently pay the club £60k pa for pouring rights at The Valley.

Do the club also make decent revenue/profit on the sales ?
  • Do we know what the average spend is per customer at the valley?
  • edited August 2013
    The average attendance last season was 18,500 for 23 games = 425,500. Then add 12,500 for the two cup-ties, which makes 438,000.

Other matchday income, which I believe includes the programme, was £1.8m. The programme is probably around £300-350k mark these days, so say £1.5m to account for.

That suggests about £3.50 a head average net spend on food and drink (not including VAT and duty), but out of that comes cost of sale, i.e. staffing, fuel and supplies, which will account for at least half and probably more. And that's before any capital investment.

In practice the average attendance overstates the number of people in the ground by 20 per cent or more, which would skew the calculation.
  • I suppose a business is always going to go for the cheapest option, especially if they are losing money and don't give a stuff about the 'customers'.
  • I suppose if customers are willing to buy crap then why bother changing. It never fails to amaze me how some people when they go to the pub ask for Fosters - Why the blazes would you do that when you have a decent set of options. Therein is the problem.

Difficult for small local companies to compete with that.....unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• And hard for a business that is losing money to turn it down too.
  • Nicholas said:

Arments off walworth rd best pie hole in London.

Nice to see a pie and mash shop open rather then close though

couldn't agree more, a highlight of when we play there, double pie & mash with cherry pie for pud, pies for £1.18 as well, glad Goddards is back but a little designer pie & mash for me. Arment's is the place

• Plenty of good ideas on this thread. Surely it's not difficult to sell good locally-made grub and beer. For the latter, as SHG says above, Shepherd Neame ales from Faversham would be an excellent choice at a reasonable price. And Hurlimann, SN's lager, really packs a punch.

Indeed - Lincoln have just started to serve Batemans 617 Ale.
  • Never mind that boom, we are more interested in the contents of your fridge.
  • Curb_It said:

Never mind that boom, we are more interested in the contents of your fridge.

Ha - the fridge is now bare!

Apparently, I ate everything the missus had bought at Tescos last night.
  • edited August 2013
    Ah that explains the Harissa Hummus. A woman's touch. You best nip to Tescos.

Refer to the being drunk thread..