Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I thought that was Waggy's fifth goal of the season!

I guess NS subscribes to the view that Dale Stephens scored Waggy's volley against Bournemouth along with a number of other journos.

Being local you'd hope NS would know better!
  • Yep, definitely 5!
  • My stats say it is 5, so 5 it is!
  • The lad's a goal scorer. I'd definitely keep him for next season if we go up.
  • The lad's a goal scorer. I'd definitely keep him for next season if we go up.
    This. Don't forget he is only 22, he's been with us for about 11 years now and he love the club. You have got to have someone like that around.
  • edited April 2012
    He's certainly has bundles of energy!

Has had to bide his time , but has come back with a bang.
  • Still see him as a poor mans Johnny Robinson, massive work rate, scores goals, likes a moan, can't really cross (although Robbo worked on that).

Think someone mentioned over the weekend, mould his workrate with Green's crossing, you'll have some player
  • They've done a silent edit!
  • Personally prefer him over Green. Inconsistency is a given with the majority of wingers, but I feel he just about has the edge at the moment.
  • Think he's come back into the side a better player last few games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Waggy has perhaps been hampered by having AP and PP as managers as they both tended to play the 'blame someone else' game. We'd spoken to Waggy at Bournemouth and there was no side to him at all. He said the team was playing well and that had to come first so he'd have to be patient. He said he was training hard but just didn't get picked and we remarked a bit later that you couldn't fault his attitude. I don't know whether concentrating on his crrossing in training might bring dividends, but I recall Cantona writing in his book that he was a good player simply because he'd worked a whole lot harder than other players. Maybe under CP and by having regular games, a more potent Waggy can emerge. I'd love to see it.
  • He's been way better than Green the last couple of games so just keep starting him SCP.

He also did this if anyone remembers this far back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxOdwCJ39Y
  • Still see him as a poor mans Johnny Robinson, massive work rate, scores goals, likes a moan, can't really cross (although Robbo worked on that).

Think someone mentioned over the weekend, mould his workrate with Green's crossing, you'll have some player
    This.

And I regard it as a compliment to Waggy. It took Robbo a little while to fully establish himself but once he did he never looked back.

As SA says Waggy is from the 90% perspiration 10% inspiration school and with that attitude I truly believe he is capable of growing with the Club.

• It looked to me the last few times he's played he has made much more of an effort to cross balls in (or lay off to Chris Solly, Solly to do the same) than drive into the box as he always did before. Admittedly Green still head and shoulders above him in that particular regard, but he has learned lessons which is excellent to see,
  • Agree that Waggy has the edge over Green. Work rate and understanding with Solly gives our right side a very athletic balance. Could you picture Green popping up at the near post for the goal ? Neither can I. Close season of reflection for Danny Green. Lots more to come from Scott too. Aged 22 and probably four years from peak.
  • Waggy is a great penalty box finisher, and has excellent energy, pace and commitment.He also falls over far too easily and can be a big girl's blouse.

Green is a better crosser and dead ball taker - remember last week when we had Solly and Wiggins taking corners, in the absence of JJ, Green (and Stephens). However he isn't as good defensively and isn't as fast.

I'm not sure which is better, but earlier in the season felt it was unfair that Waggy had been out of the team for so long, when Green had been reasonable but nothing special.
  • Green and Wagstaff are the same age, but Scott has played at a higher level, and with better players, so it's nice to have the competition
  • edited April 2012
    One thing I don't think you can use to describe Waggy is "big girl's blouse".

Yes, he has a moan at officials ala Robinson (can't see the problem with that) but he is kicked up in the air on a regular basis and gets up and gets on with it. And he doesn't pull out of tackles.

• Robinson is a good comparison. I remember when he first joined us- we had lost Robert Lee and I thought we are in trouble if this is the best replacement we can get - how wrong I was! Waggy has a lot of the same qualities and could develop into something similar but he still needs to do a bit of developing - I'd definitely be looking to keep him though - he is young and does know where the goal is.
  • One thing I don't you use to describe Waggy is "big girl's blouse".

Yes, he has a moan at officials ala Robinson (can't see the problem with that) but he is kicked up in the air on a regular basis and gets up and gets on with it. And he doesn't pull out of tackles.

On Saturday I agree he was properly kicked, but earlier in the season before he got himself back in the starting lineup he would go down poleaxed if someone breathed in his ear, then (by himself) harrangue the referee in a completely embarrassing manner. I can recall several instance of this in front of the East Stand which did him no favours with the fans. Hopefully CP told him to cut it out...
  • Sponsored links:

• Think he's played really well in the last two home games. I think the comparisons with Robinson are pretty apt.

Robbo's a bit of a legend these days but when he was playing there were plenty of people moaning about him.
  • I like him I think he's a good young player, and he works well with Solly. I hope we keep them both for a few years to come at least.
  • wagstaff is not a 'big girls blouse'. Danny Green however, is.
    He bottled so many challenges last time he played that the guy behind started singing "10 Green Bottles".
  • i thought he had a great game saturday
  • Danny Green is the sort of player your squad can only have one off, any more and there'd be no tackles. just alot of nice dead balls and thats about it.

I rate Wagstaff as is work rate is top notch and he finds good space. Also had £2 on him first goal Sat as it was his birthday, happy days :-)
  • I like Wagstaff and he is in posession of the right wing shirt at the moment, but the extra crossing quality Green brings will be useful in the Championship.
    hmmm ,
  • Wagstaff is definitely not a bottlejob!He, along with Kermorgant are our two most fouled players.....Waggy seems to get some really bad challenges on him!Partly due to the ball normally being too far infront of him when running!However, he is certainly no bottlejob!
  • Months ago I posted that I didn't think that Wagstaff would make it as a Championship player despite being Charlton through and through. I hope that I am wrong.