Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what to do in Edinburgh? help please

2»

Comments

• As X says Mary King Close is a great visit.

I'd also recommend the National Museum (free) which is a kind of a cross between the national history and science museums nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum.aspx.

For night life there's a mix of proper boozers and lively Irish themed bars on the grass market, so that would be a good spot to base yourself. Rose Street also has a fair number of good pubs, and there's a few more classy bars on George Street which runs parallel. There's a decent vodka bar on the bridges edinburghpubguide.co.uk/PubDetails/Bar_Kohl_114.html.

For food, if you like fish Cafe Royal is a cracking place with a decent pub attached, near Rose Street and the station caferoyal.org.uk/:

• Oh yes, forgot the Camera Oscura right next to the castle is a good tourist attraction too.
  • Frankensteins! 'It's a monster experience'!

www.frankensteinedinburgh.co.uk/
  • thanks for all the advice guys you been a great help. im sure were going to have a great weekend.
  • You're in for a treat. A weekend in Edinburgh is enough to hit the highlights, but little enough that you'll want to return. We enjoyed gorging ourselves in some great restaurants (The Kitchin in Leith, Martin Wishart and 21212 in the New Town and Number One) so made sure to sleep cheaply! In any event, you've some great advice on here, and I'd echo taking the open top bus around when you arrive, just to get your bearings if nothing else. Enjoy!
  • Help the Panda's mate
  • haha i would love to give them a helping hand but they are all booked up so can't see them unfortunately. am looking forward to the ghost walks and drinking a scotsman under the table
  • edited December 2022
    Looking at sorting a trip to Edinburgh and the Highlands for maybe October half term next year - any tips on places to stay (will be with kids so more likely airbnbs etc than hotels, but recommendations on either would be good), things to see and do to then plan places to stay around places we may go.

So far looking at all the normal places, Edinburgh Castle, Kelpies on the drive up, maybe the Jacobite train as the kids love Harry Potter, Loch Ness etc....
  • Obviously a Hibbs game.
    Going to watch them tonight against Celtic. Family friendly club but be warned that all football clubs are dry.
  • Would love to but may not be able to swing it with it being a family trip!
  • Sponsored links:

• If you're having a longer stay in Edinburgh then a trip out to North Berwick's worth it for the Scottish Seabird Centre - they do boat trips out to the rocks where the gannets are. Worth checking for age/date restrictions, but well worth doing. 
  • Camera Obscura & World of Illusions on the Royal Mile was recommended to me, but my trip to Edinburgh got cancelled during Covid.
  • Go to Panda & Sons for a drink. In the top 50 bars in the world and the cocktails are superb.
  • The Grass Market below the castle, for a night out.

Tick Hearts or Hibs for a game.

Princess Street is their Oxford Street.
  • We’ll worth a visit, in Edinburgh;

https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/
  • Get yourself a return train ticket to North Queensferry and enjoy a trip over the magnificent Firth of Forth rail bridge. Proper Charlton. 
  • Looking at sorting a trip to Edinburgh and the Highlands for maybe October half term next year - any tips on places to stay (will be with kids so more likely airbnbs etc than hotels, but recommendations on either would be good), things to see and do to then plan places to stay around places we may go.

So far looking at all the normal places, Edinburgh Castle, Kelpies on the drive up, maybe the Jacobite train as the kids love Harry Potter, Loch Ness etc....
    Edinburgh with kids is worth a day but i'd head for Aviemore where there are loads of activities and plenty of options for accommodation. Direct train from Kings Cross saves a long drive.
  • If you like horse racing there's a meeting at Musselburgh on Easter Saturday. Nice course a few miles east of Edinburgh.
  • Museum of Scotland is free and very interactive for kids and central Edinburgh.
    A bit like saying I'm visiting the south east of England, what to recommend as there's so much.
    Be worthwhile looking at visit Scotland and seeing what's on offer at various locations but don't forget the coastline and scenery is free. 
  • The Standing Order on George Street is good value. Plenty to see in there as well. Great history 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Get yourself a return train ticket to North Queensferry and enjoy a trip over the magnificent Firth of Forth rail bridge. Proper Charlton. 
    We done this train to North Queensferry then walked back over the motorway bridge for great views of the railway bridge, then train back from Dalmeny station, made for a good day out. The Oxford Bar is a great pub in Edinburgh new town.
  • Museum of Scotland is free and very interactive for kids and central Edinburgh.
    A bit like saying I'm visiting the south east of England, what to recommend as there's so much.
    Be worthwhile looking at visit Scotland and seeing what's on offer at various locations but don't forget the coastline and scenery is free. 
    Yeah true, hut worth an ask!!

Interested if anyone has stayed anywhere particularly good/reasonable etc too, in Edinburgh, Fort William, Inverness etc.
  • edited December 2022
    Looking at sorting a trip to Edinburgh and the Highlands for maybe October half term next year - any tips on places to stay (will be with kids so more likely airbnbs etc than hotels, but recommendations on either would be good), things to see and do to then plan places to stay around places we may go.

Edinburgh with kids is worth a day but i'd head for Aviemore where there are loads of activities and plenty of options for accommodation. Direct train from Kings Cross saves a long drive.
    We're looking at train to Edinburgh, possibly hire a car after that to drive to the Highlands, then flight back from Inverness, so Aviemore could be a stop off possibly!
  • Looking at sorting a trip to Edinburgh and the Highlands for maybe October half term next year - any tips on places to stay (will be with kids so more likely airbnbs etc than hotels, but recommendations on either would be good), things to see and do to then plan places to stay around places we may go.

We're looking at train to Edinburgh, possibly hire a car after that to drive to the Highlands, then flight back from Inverness, so Aviemore could be a stop off possibly!
    Flying to Edinburgh possibly a cheaper option.

I flew over the pond in a trip last month and we stayed in Edinburgh for a few days,if you get a chance eat at Amarones corner of St Andrews Sq and George St not that expensive but great Italian food best to call first because they get busy, 
    For breakfast there is a cafe called Snax it's on a side street off St Andrews Square the name is West Register St, huge bacon ,egg,and sausage derbies for just a few qiud.
    We did St Mary's Close your as well it was excellent.
  • Don't know what a derbies is meant to say Sarnies
  • A very wise person once told me that if you are new to a city its a good idea to do the tourist bus as that gives you a great overview of the highlights and let's you see where you'd may want to explore more. The Edinburgh bus is hop-on hop-off and lasts for 24 hours https://edinburghtour.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAkrWdBhBkEiwAZ9cdcMdpan_LgbIjxsuUgBWZ1obvvx9Rvi4dxWdwEoc5WP_3UPyf1Fwx6RoC8EMQAvD_BwE