Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what to do in Edinburgh? help please

hey guys im travelling to Edinburgh for the Easter weekend with my girlfriend and wanted some advice on where to visit or eat. obviously there is the castle and the zoo but wondered if anyone had any other tips.

Comments

• If the weather's good, go on an open top bus tour. When you visit the castle, walk down the Royal Mile down to Holyrood and climb up Arthur's Seat. Also walk up Calton Hill - great view of the city. The Scott Monument on Princess Street is worth a visit too. Let me know if you need to know anything more.
    Have a great weekend - it's a lovely place.
  • For pubs (most with good food) you can't go far wrong with Rose Street or the Grassmarket
  • Sounds like you might be able to go skating.
  • what kind of food do you like? There's a really good vegetarian restaurant called Dvid Bann's, we always eat there. If you prefer, there is no shortage of Indian's with BYOB, so you can get really plastered. There are some nice areas to walk around such as brntfields and morningside, and go up Carlton hill if you get a change as the view are great. the castle is a rip off, but interesting enough, and at the other end of the royal mile is the palace of holyrood. It's changed a lot since I lived there, and we just walk about, as all the nice bits are fairly central and the shitty housing schemes are on the outskirts. There is no shortage of pubs and restaurants, there are literally hundreds. There's a really good club called Opium in the Cowgate if you like rock music!
  • Royal Yacht is moored in Leith Harbour. Worth a visit. Is there a game on at Hearts or Hibs? As already mentioned thr castle and royal mile. The after dark walking tours are good as well. Take you round supposed haunted sites. Get the train out and cross the Firth of Forth on the bridge.
  • Went to Uni there, amazing little City. You can tour the old city buried under the current one (entrance via the City Chmabers). There is Holyrood Palace, the Scottish Parliament building, all down the Royal Mile way. Sheeps Heid the other side of Arthur's Seat is one of the very oldest if not the oldest pub in Scotland. If you have a bit of cash treat your girlfriend to a meal in The Witchery at the top end of the Royal Mile, by the Castle. I worked in Mammas Pizzeria in Grassmarket which is a very cool and very different type of pizza place (cactus as a topping sir?). There is also the Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street for the culture on a cold rainy afternoon. And don't forget to spit on the Heart of Midlothian when you walk past it. Whatever you decide to do, you will have a lovely time.
  • Walk up Arthur's seat if it's a clear day. Great views. There's a house of illusions type thing right by the castle, it's a white tower, which is surprisingly entertaining. We turned away in horror when we saw the prices for the castle, but then we are a family of four. It's a great place for just general wandering around.
  • Loved Edinburgh.

Definitely do the Hop-on-hop-off bus tours, which takes you everywhere and dont forget to visit:
    scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/index.php
    and
    royalmilewhiskies.com/ for a souvenir.
  • Was at the Zoo last week. Very good but very hilly. Make sure you book in advance if you want to see the Giant Pandas, you have to book a slot.
  • Eat at the Witchery it's a bit pricey but it's probably the best restaurant in Scotland!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2012
    get a pie supper with plenty of chippy sauce (and a white pudding on the side).

MMMmmmmmmmmm
  • Edinburgh is a boring, grey, desolate dump - it has no redeeming features - none whatsoever. If it was a house it would be pebble-dashed and have polystyrene ceiling tiles. There's nothing there but that stupid castle that doesn't even look like a castle. Even the High Street only has shops on one side of the road. I spent a couple of weeks there for work with a mate and we only saw one attractive woman and she was German.

Go to Glasgow instead.
  • I know a couple of people who went ot the witchery, and thought it overpriced. Deffo do Mary Kings Close though - mentioned above by green with envy. Sort of an underground street. Like nothing you would hvae seen before. the whisky heritage centre on the royal mile is ok, you get a tour riding a whichky barrel, and can get a dram afterwards. If whisky is your thing, and you have a car, visit glenkinchie. Glenkinchie is rubbish, but the bar has all of the united distillers malts (100s of them!) on offer free after the tour, so you can get a cheeky couple of drams.
  • Can't beat a bit of Haggis! The Forth Bridge is quite an iconic structure, if you want a trip out of town.
    Edinburgh is a boring, grey, desolate dump - it has no redeeming features - none whatsoever. If it was a house it would be pebble-dashed and have polystyrene ceiling tiles. There's nothing there but that stupid castle that doesn't even look like a castle. Even the High Street only has shops on one side of the road. I spent a couple of weeks there for work with a mate and we only saw one attractive woman and she was German.

Go to Glasgow instead.
    A bit harsh, but I would agree that Glasgow is a lot nicer than people think it will be

• From what I have seen, most people do Heroin.

• From what I have seen, most people do Heroin.

Beat me to it!
  • mary kings close, is good if you like to be spooked. been there loved it.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/
  • Buy a kilt
  • Edinburgh is a boring, grey, desolate dump - it has no redeeming features - none whatsoever. If it was a house it would be pebble-dashed and have polystyrene ceiling tiles. There's nothing there but that stupid castle that doesn't even look like a castle. Even the High Street only has shops on one side of the road. I spent a couple of weeks there for work with a mate and we only saw one attractive woman and she was German.
    This, but the polar opposite. It's a wonderful city, fantastic architecture great history. We just spent the weekend wandering around, did the whisky tour, and in nice pubs and restaurants.
  • Try one of the many Ghost Tours they do in the evening. Always good fun, ewith plenty of pub visits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went last year.

The walk up Arthurs Seat is great, stunning views. Also the whiskey experience was good fun and interesting. Didn't do the castle as it was absolutely rammed.

Thought it was a lovely city but did prefer Glasgow personally. Tried to get in The Witchery but was fully booked, know people who have been and thought it was amazing.
  • mary kings close, is good if you like to be spooked. been there loved it.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/
    I thought this was one of the best tourist attractions I've been to, really very good indeed.

Thought the castle was massively overpriced for what it is. We paid to go round because the Missus wanted to but having been inside, in my humble opinion, the UK is full of better castles to visit.

• If you go to the Witchery, take a torch. Personally i like to be able to see what I'm eating.

I recommend you drink plenty of malt whisky while up there.
  • There's nothing there but that stupid castle that doesn't even look like a castle.
    Doesn't look like a castle? What do you think it looks like then, a bus shelter?

• My firm has offices in Glasgow and Edinburgh and while I am up there often I much prefer auld reekie (Edinburgh) as it has more class.if you like Thai food try Time for Thai as a variation on other suggestions .avoid nightclubs on the Calder road but pubs in the grassmarket are fine.rutland no1 is an okay boozer.order a half and a wee half ( of 80 shillings and a single malt chaser)
  • My two favourite pubs in central Edinburgh. If you take a drink, they are musts and are only five minutes apart.
    http://www.caferoyal.org.uk/http:
    //www.thedomeedinburgh.com/introduction/
  • There's nothing there but that stupid castle that doesn't even look like a castle.
    Doesn't look like a castle? What do you think it looks like then, a bus shelter?

Since you ask I think it looks like a Glasgow tenament building with some big walls around it!

This is a proper castle:
  • edited April 2012
    I too prefer Glasgow, which is why I chose to live here after eight dull years in Edinburgh! But the latter is great for visitors. I agree with others that the Witchery is very, very pricey. If you like seafood, then Ondine is one of the best restaurants around - next door to the Missoni Hotel, and has a good range of prices. Seafood is fab up here - far better than you get in London! There is also a little place called Monteith's down a side alley towards the lower end of the High Street/ Royal Mile, which is more bar/restuarant and a bit of a hidden gem. The Jolly Judge pub at the top end of the Royal Mile (just down from the castle) is also worth seeking out.

ondinerestaurant.co.uk/
    http://www.monteithsrestaurant.co.uk/
    jollyjudge.co.uk/

These are all in the Old Town, which is also where you can do the ghost tours - I'd recommend Mercat - you'll see their signboards on the street. Mary King's Close used to be wonderful and really atmospheric, but they did it all up and now have guides in costume - made it much more touristy and less spooky, I think.

In the New Town, Cardinal Sin has given a couple of good recommendations.

Have fun!
  • There's a restaurant in Edinburgh called Beef Encounter. I don't know if it's any good, I just like the name.