Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any of you got a famous relative?

My great uncle Teddy Morgan was famous.
He played Rugby for Swansea in the early part of the 20th century. He was a doctor and took up a post at Guys Hospital here in London, so he then started playing for London Welsh.
He was obviously a rare talent because he was selected to play for Wales and went on to get 16 caps and score 14 tries.
In 1905 (now that year rings a bell no doubt!) Wales hosted the all conquering New Zealand All Blacks who had been unbeaten for some considerable time. They say it was one of the greatest days in the history of Welsh rugby.
Before the game the Welsh national anthem was sung for the first time at a Rugby International and Uncle Teddy had the honour of leading the singing!
However the day was far from over for Uncle Teddy.....he went on to score the only try of the game and Wales won 3-0! They were the only side to beat The All Blacks on that tour.
He was then chosen to play for The British Lions, he played 4 times for them and captained The Lions twice.
He later went back to South Wales and took up in general practice.....he then moved to Norfolk and started a surgery there, but sadly died at quite a young age in 1949 (69 I think he was)....a year after I was born. How I'd love to have met him.
I've got some fantastic old brown faded photos and postcards of him.......how about that then!!
So how about the rest of you Lifers...........I'm sure there are some facinating tales to tell?

Comments

• Options
    My great great uncle isolated Acetylchlorine from ergot in 1914 developed Sulphapyridine in 1939.
    Beat that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm not related to anyone famous, but I did sit on AJP Taylor's knee.
  • Options
    My wifes aunt is an agent to some hollywood film stars and is often at the oscars
  • Options
    My great great uncle isolated Acetylchlorine from ergot in 1914 developed Sulphapyridine in 1939.
    Beat that.
    Do you mean acetylcholine?
  • Options
    My uncle Bob was quite a well known rag n bone man ;)
  • Options
    I used to be related (by virtue of my dad's 2nd marriage) to Michael Crawford - he was my step uncle until he got divorced - never met him.
  • Options
    My son has...................ME................I'm a Mysteron!
  • Options
    paul mckenna is my cousin, and the late great maurice banham was great uncle i think. my cousin donna in sydney is a top judge out there. oh and my dad once had a pint with the yorkshire ripper in the watermans arms in charlton...
  • Options
    No. A few infamous ones though.
  • Options
    Related to Donald Campbell of Bluebird fame in some distant tenuous way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the word famous is open to discussion.
  • Options
    Was Uncle Teddys foot in touch though? The New Zealanders are still whinging about that!
  • Options
    I'm related to William Harvey, the physician who discovered blood circulation. I think those genius genes have been somewhat diluted over the centuries though.
  • Options
    Bobby and Jack Charlton somehow? Sunbury_addick can probably explain as he told me years ago!!!
  • Options
    an english screen starlet (ish)of the 30/40s called Patricia Plunkett
  • Options
    paul mckenna is my cousin, and the late great maurice banham was great uncle i think. my cousin donna in sydney is a top judge out there. oh and my dad once had a pint with the yorkshire ripper in the watermans arms in charlton...
    I thought you and Gervais were brothers from another mother?

And don't forget your twin Tim Wiseman!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    My step brother's mum is George Michael's first cousin.

My other brother's father in law was also a drummer for Dexy's Midnight Runners at one point.

Both slightly tenuos ;-)
  • Options
    Ellen Terry, an leading actress of the late 18 early 1900's is directly related. She was a great aunt of john gieulgud and also had a relationship with the (original) Henry Irvine.

My wife's da has researched their history and they've got a mayor of london somewhere in the distant past.
  • Options
    The aunt of Jane Seymour (Henry VIII's 3rd wife), who was also called Jane, is a direct great-great-whatever grandmother. Don't know how to work out the nth cousin x times removed thing...
  • Options
    Hold on, so you are best mates with Ricky Gervais, and now you are related to Paul Mackenna, pull the other one, you been hanging around with that bloke Walter Mitty!

Jackanory........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nearly! My dad used to play football with George Best and at the time was going out with his sister
  • Options
    My old man played golf on the European Tour. He played with Frank Carsson and Renato from Rene and Renato in a pro-am.
  • Options
    Oh and my Dad used to go out with William Joyce's (Lord Haw Haw) daughter
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    My uncle (Kit Napier) played for Brighton & Hove Albion in the late 60's/early 70's. His name often comes up as scoring one of their greatest goals.
  • Options
    My old man played golf on the European Tour. He played with Frank Carsson and Renato from Rene and Renato in a pro-am.
    Is that the highlight of his career?

• Options
    The gay one from westlife and nicola tappenden
  • Options
    Barry Little was a second cousin of mine, played for Charlton a couple of times and England Youth Teams, then moved to lower league and passed away in about 94 from a Brain Tumour. Curbs even went to his funeral.

http://doverathletic.com/index.php?p=news&id=478
  • Options
    The gay one from westlife and nicola tappenden
    What about the Nolan sisters D?
  • Options
    If it had been today I think my Uncle would have rated as famous.
    He was a journalist for Press Association and the 'official England team journalist'. He followed them to all their games and was the main reporter during the '66 world cup.
    Not many outside the world of media knew his name back them but with the way journalism is today he would have been famous now.
    Charlton fan and had tryouts as a lad.
  • Options
    Is that the highlight of his career?

Highlights, it was two different tournaments ;-)