Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stevenage.

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Horrible, Horrible side. Gonna be tough home game next week,Thats for sure. Plus the fans comments about bale,BWP could get some stick...

Comments

• Options
    Think they've played quite well today. Not as hoofy as I was expecting but Spurs have been poor.
  • Options
    That freeman looks good...
  • Options
    draw will be good cos the replay might distract them from our fixture
  • Options
    number 2 looks very good too
  • Options
    4 former cafc players playing or on the bench today. Parker, Defoe, Wilson and Long.

by my count anyway
  • Options
    You have to be as deluded as a Massive fan, not to realise next week will be a tough match. 1 loss in about 20 for them. I read somewhere
  • Options
    Freeman was with us till he was 12.
  • Options
    Lawrie Wilson is having a good game.
  • Options
    Their right back was on our books as well
  • Options
    Wilson looks very good. I used to watch the reserves at Aldershot and Wilson always looked brilliant, but I suspect it was more to do with his pace than his actual technical skills. Seems he's added a lot more to his armoury since then. Glad to see him doing well. I wouldn't mind Freeman in our side next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luke Freeman, was at Arsenal and then before that Gillingham i believe?
  • Options
    draw will be good cos the replay might distract them from our fixture
    Spot on.
  • Options
    That freeman looks good...
    Started with us according to Wikipedia

• Options
    Why are they or horrible. They are extremely professional and know exactly what their job is. Perhaps they should just lay down and die for teams because they are a small club ?
    Those who say they are long ball merchants obviously have never seen them play.
    Well done Stevenage.
  • Options
    exactly bedsaddick, fair play to them. it's like stoke, it's not their fault their style of football is successful.
  • Options
    They weren't horrible at all today. If any team is going to beat us at home it will be Stevenage so I'm a bit worried...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Fair play to them, they deserved their draw but they didnt exactly trouble us. Cudicini only made one save the entire game. They'll only be one result in the replay.

Would actually be nice if the Spurs players took the FA cup seriously. Our performance today even trumped how bad we were going forward against Watford.

Didnt Bostwick play for Ebbsfleet a few years back?
  • Options
    Wrong game for football for a fiver, IMHO. I'm half expecting a horrible defeat.
  • Options
    One eye on the Lane for them next weekend, good for us
  • Options
    Hopefully televised as well, they also play Wednesday night so might see our game to rest a few. Going to be a tough game maybe one where BWP scores again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheff Wednesday may have been thinking they'd rest a few and be below par last Tuesday, was not the case and don't expect it to be next weekend. We have a really tough test.

Solly against Freeman will be a good battle.
  • Options
    Seems a lot of people are expecting us to roll them over next week

They are a good side who have beaten us and both Sheffield sides and I think they could give us a few problems

I wouldn't be unhappy with 4 points this week
  • Options
    On the face of it I think they could give us a lot of problems, but I also think the players are still fuming about that defeat at their place so I reckon we'll see the best Charlton come out against them which should be too much for them
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK yeah he played for fleet a couple of seasons back when they won the FA trophy.
  • Options
    as Southend said, be very happy with four points from the next two games
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    With respect there was only one side trying to actually play football. What Stevenage did and did very well was to stop football being played. In terms of work rate and discipline I do not for one moment decry their efforts. They deserve every congratulation on completing a thoroughly impressive and professional performance. It had all the hallmarks of the Wimbledon of old without any of the attacking menace of a Fashanu or a Wise. Defensively they are even more compact.

I do not know if Westley (I know Smith is now the manager) was a military historian but he seems to work to the adage "military tactics do not win wars - military mistakes lose wars". It was all about getting the ball out of their dangers areas and into the opposing danger areas.

I hope Preston fans are up for it because what Westley has done refine the old Wimbledon methodology and worked in a few more wrinkles in the percentages game. No wonder some of the Preston squad were a little at odds with his training methods. Some of the process was more akin to the territorial approach to modern rugby i.e. kick for distance, chase and harry like mad on the basis the opposition will have to work the ball 60/70 yards to score and probably cock it up. Any ball into their back four comes out again at 100mph aimed at or behind the opposing back four.

It was so effective, in fact the only time they fell short was when they actually tried to play football. In open play I think I only saw just 3 effective examples of real skill the Freemen cross in the first half, the Byrom shot over the bar and the Wilson cross at the end.

It is to Spurs credit that on a poor surface, (how many times did you ever see Parker struggle to control the ball before) they were able to respond to a game plan so foreign to that they usually encounter. That said, it shows even with the array of talent they had available just how difficult it is to play against.

What we should remember is that more than a few League 1 sides will try and do play (not as effectively) in largely the same way against us on similar surfaces. So instead of perhaps regularly whingeing about the lack of open expansive football with which we should be destroying teams perhaps we should acknowledge our current team will roll up their sleeves, put their shift in, to at least get a result.

As for the game next week it will not be for the faint hearted.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Gonna be a tough test, was really impressed with them today, They play some decent football
  • Options
    Why are they or horrible. They are extremely professional and know exactly what their job is. Perhaps they should just lay down and die for teams because they are a small club ?
    Those who say they are long ball merchants obviously have never seen them play.
    Well done Stevenage.
    I agree. I cant do anything but respect the club for what they have achieved in a relatively short time
  • Options
    Just get the feeling that the team feel like they owe Stevenage one for what happened in October, so I'm expecting a big performance from us
  • Options
    I think it was BWP that said a couple of months ago that the players were looking forward to this game because of the 'dirty' tactics Stevenage used at their place.

Definitely going to be tough.