Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netflix

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Netflix created more original content in 2018 than all movie studios combined.
    That’s the line they’d like us to believe - I’d like to know if that includes buying in content that wasn’t getting a theatrical release or facing box office floppery. 
    It also kinda pisses me off when they buy up previously successful shows and call them 'netflix originals' yeah, one season maybe.

Trailer Park Boys is the best show ever made and is 100% not a netflix original, it really annoys me that they claim it is, now, I'm glad they bought the rights and let the guys make the show how they want, and I know the main guys involved really enjoy the freedom netflix give them but the show is older than netflix itself ffs.
    Trailer Park boys - 2001
    Netflix - 1997 

Trailer Park boys did exist before Netflix Originals, which started being created in 2012.

Before it was online streaming, it was like LoveFilm who were taken over by Amazon in 2011. Then known as Amazon Instant Video, who eventually became Amazon Prime Video.

Netflix is far better than that load of ball bags on there. 

I have to disagree on Trailer Park boys being the best show ever made, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    I had no idea netflix was that old, I stand corrected.

Also you're right, The Wire is the best show, TPB will have to settle for best comedy ;)

Arrested Development is another example of a non original
  • Options

Also you're right, The Wire is the best show, TPB will have to settle for best comedy ;)

It'd be fantastic if they had a "Netflix Revivals" category for those they have rescued. 

I loved the first few seasons of the wire and am watching it back on NowTV at the moment to catch the final season. 
  • Options
    Received 3 emails from Netflix last night, saying I had logged in from Gambia and then Brazil and then that my email had now been successfully so i was unable to log in this morning.  So please be aware.

I just called them, very easy to get through and they've changed my email address to another one for me and all reset.  
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Received 3 emails from Netflix last night, saying I had logged in from Gambia and then Brazil and then that my email had now been successfully so i was unable to log in this morning.  So please be aware.

I just called them, very easy to get through and they've changed my email address to another one for me and all reset.  
    Which kinda proves they don't care about VPN usage, as there's no way I travel from England to American, Sweden and Mexico most nights.

Cheers Netflix 👍
  • Options
    Enjoyed Russian Doll.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Dirty John.  Compelling.

I binge watch the 8 episodes yesterday. Based on a true/ish story which makes it a little more watchable but obviously glammed up a bit for entertainment purposes.

All 8 are pretty good with a nice finale and (I hope I'm not spoiling here), I think it will be the only 8 that are made. Most times with American series, if they are good they become cash cows and the story lines become more stretched with lots of filler nonsense.

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Enjoyed Russian Doll.
    I reckon there will be loads of spin offs.....
  • Options
    Anyone watched Abducted in Plain Sight?? Utter madness.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Which kinda proves they don't care about VPN usage, as there's no way I travel from England to American, Sweden and Mexico most nights.

Cheers Netflix 👍
    What are you watching on Mexican NetFlix?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Cheers Netflix 👍
    The only people negatively affected by the VPN usage are those who have already paid for exclusive rights, only to see Netflix flout them. Those companies (i.e. Sky) would need to put pressure on the studios, but in my experience, they're not keen to do that. I'm not entirely sure why - my guess is that maintaining relationships with studios is a tricky business and this isn't a battle worth fighting. Perhaps it's not prevalent enough. 

I don't think there's any other reason for Netflix to put a stop to it. It has to come from studio pressure. Maybe if the studios thought that DVD or Blu-Ray sales were being affected they'd stop it. Again, I don't think enough people are doing the VPN thing to make that an issue. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Anyone watched Abducted in Plain Sight?? Utter madness.
    With out spoiling it, I had to double check it was real as it was so far fetched.  This stuff actually happened wtf
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Curb_It said:

Cheers Netflix 👍
    What are you watching on Mexican NetFlix?
    No idea why but Mexico and Brazil seem to get a lot of movies unavailable in other regions, I use a netflix world search site to find whats available and go from there.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Curb_It said:

Cheers Netflix 👍
    The only people negatively affected by the VPN usage are those who have already paid for exclusive rights, only to see Netflix flout them. Those companies (i.e. Sky) would need to put pressure on the studios, but in my experience, they're not keen to do that. I'm not entirely sure why - my guess is that maintaining relationships with studios is a tricky business and this isn't a battle worth fighting. Perhaps it's not prevalent enough. 

I don't think there's any other reason for Netflix to put a stop to it. It has to come from studio pressure. Maybe if the studios thought that DVD or Blu-Ray sales were being affected they'd stop it. Again, I don't think enough people are doing the VPN thing to make that an issue. 
    Hopefully it continues like that, theyve had crack downs in the past, citing pressure from studios but it's never lasted for more than a week or so.

I think you'd also be surprised with how many people use VPNs for netflix, there are loads of websites dedeicated to searching different regions, something that's only useful if you are using a VPN. I wouldn't be surpised if it was as high as 5-10% of their customer base, but that's obviously somewhat of a guess.

I can see why Netflix don't want to stop it, last time they clamped down there was a big push from people on Twitter to get people to cancel their accpounts,  as you say, Netflix lose nothing and certainly gain customers.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Ted Bundy Tapes was very good television if you like a docuseries.

Four episodes, an hour each.
  • Options
    Ted Bundy Tapes was very good television if you like a docuseries.

Four episodes, an hour each.
    Few, 'stop it, no fecking way' moments in that as well. 
  • Options

I recall reading recently the founders of Netflix offered blockbuster video their business for a relatively nominal cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars but they rejected to buy it.

• Options
    Watched Bird box last night, very decent for a Netflix production.
    thought it was shit personally. Had a lot of promise but then nothing really happens.
    The Happening all over again
    So true...

Netflix with one one or two rare exceptions just makes it easier to find very average tv and repeats...
  • Options
    razil said:
    thought it was shit personally. Had a lot of promise but then nothing really happens.
    So true...

Netflix with one one or two rare exceptions just makes it easier to find very average tv and repeats...
    Completely disagree with you there. Birdbox wasn't great, but some of Netflix's original series are top notch. That's before you even get to the additional series they've added to other favourites, like Black Mirror. Netflix used to have shite films and old series, but it has so much more than that now. The docuseries selection is great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    razil said:
    So true...

Completely disagree with you there. Birdbox wasn't great, but some of Netflix's original series are top notch. That's before you even get to the additional series they've added to other favourites, like Black Mirror. Netflix used to have shite films and old series, but it has so much more than that now. The docuseries selection is great.
    Personally think overall the Netflix films are pretty poor, the series' available and especially the Docuseries they do are what makes it worth while.
  • Options
    Netflix have deals with the likes of Lionsgate and Entertainment One, and they tend to make interesting mid-budget movies. Sky have always been really proud of their deals with the traditional big studios but the amount of blockbuster trash that Sony, WB and co. dish out these days... I just don’t think those deals are worth what they used to be. Especially as they’re likely to lose Disney, who are the only studio consistently making decent blockbusters. 

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Netflix created more original content in 2018 than all movie studios combined.
    That’s the line they’d like us to believe - I’d like to know if that includes buying in content that wasn’t getting a theatrical release or facing box office floppery. 
    Half the stuff marked as 'Netflix Original' on Canadian Netflix was in fact first aired on British TV. Recent examples would be Bodyguard and Derry Girls.
  • Options
    They put 'Netflix Original' on anything they have exclusive streaming rights to in a region. It's a really misleading title.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    They put 'Netflix Original' on anything they have exclusive streaming rights to in a region. It's a really misleading title.
    That ISN'T true.  They put original on things they fully finance, acquire part way through production of acquire the exclusive rights in a territory that nobody has the rights to - ie you won't or can't see it on Sky, on DVD etc....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Netflix have deals with the likes of Lionsgate and Entertainment One, and they tend to make interesting mid-budget movies. Sky have always been really proud of their deals with the traditional big studios but the amount of blockbuster trash that Sony, WB and co. dish out these days... I just don’t think those deals are worth what they used to be. Especially as they’re likely to lose Disney, who are the only studio consistently making decent blockbusters. 

We also sell them about 20 things a year and it's so regular they are almost our output partner too now.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    That ISN'T true.  They put original on things they fully finance, acquire part way through production or acquire the exclusive rights in a territory that nobody has the rights to - ie you won't or can't see it on Sky, on DVD etc....
    Is that not what I just said

People were asking why 'Original' is put on things they didn't finance
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    That ISN'T true.  They put original on things they fully finance, acquire part way through production or acquire the exclusive rights in a territory that nobody has the rights to - ie you won't or can't see it on Sky, on DVD etc....

No you said anything they have exclusive streaming rights on.   Which isn't true - they have exclusive STREAMING rights on nearly everything they have on the service - but doesn't mean you can't buy a DVD of it, or rent on iTunes, Sky Store etc - so not correct.   Technically.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:

No you said anything they have exclusive streaming rights on.   Which isn't true - they have exclusive STREAMING rights on nearly everything they have on the service - but doesn't mean you can't buy a DVD of it, or rent on iTunes, Sky Store etc - so not correct.   Technically.

Nice try mate
  • Options
    edited February 2019