Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Following on from the BBC3 interview at Millwall

Quite some hesitation from the senior players when questioned on homosexuality within the team.

Comments

• Horribly uncomfortable but fascinating documentary.

The last taboo?

• Horribly uncomfortable but fascinating documentary.

The last taboo?
    What about Necrophilia?

• For such an important topic did we really need to see the lady shoe shopping! Still a good programme. Football is indeed still in the dark ages. Missed the opening few minutes but they didn't make much of a reference to the abuse the players get from fans.
  • Interesting programme but what a shame some of the younger lads at Millwall were too gutless to be interviewed. Also can't beleive that twat Joey Barton was the only one that would stand up and be counted from the Prem...

the ex Forest (now BEEB) bloke didn't cover himeself in a lot of glory in his interview!
  • What's this all about then?
  • Pretty saggy for an athlete.
  • What's this all about then?
    Bbc programme about being gay in footie
    Sol Campbell was the presenter - lol
  • The last taboo?
    Not really. I think it's now widley accepted in general society that 'these sort of people' are going to get up to it no matter what we normal decent folk try to do to stop them. Frankly I think it's sick and depraved but as long as they don't do in my face I guess I can live with it. I mean...

someone has to support Millwall I suppose.
  • Interesting on twitter, Rio Ferdinand gave no comment about the programme, even though he said he was watching it and knocked back a chance to go on the programme.

Fair play to Joey Barton for doing so. It appears from comments on twitter and on the programme that young players find it a real issue.

• The problem with Joey Barton is that he has an opinion on everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting programme but what a shame some of the younger lads at Millwall were too gutless to be interviewed. Also can't beleive that twat Joey Barton was the only one that would stand up and be counted from the Prem...

the ex Forest (now BEEB) bloke didn't cover himeself in a lot of glory in his interview!
    Shame there were 91 other clubs who were too gutless to even let any player be interviewed eh?

No idea why it's such a big issue, since when do players have to declare their sexuality, whether they are straight or not?

In todays society I'd be surprised if that many people really gave a fuck to be honest. If any of our players came out, wouldn't concern me much.

& yes, they would come in for abuse from opposition fans...but then so do fat players, skinny players, ginger players, long haired players, peroxide blonde players, short players, tall players, french players, italian players, rival players, annoying players, aggressive players, ex-players, argentinian players, etc etc etc. I don't think a crowd shouting "coo-eee...." etc is much worse than many players get, like Rooney, Cole, Savage, the dwarf at Northampton, Lampard, referees etc etc etc
  • edited January 2012
    She was shocked at Leeds singing we can see you holding hands....

Didn't think it was horribly uncomfortable at all.

I would imagine the younger players just felt too embarassed to talk about the subject whereas the more senior players at Millwall all did.

Just a shame it was barton.

John fashanu should probably stay in Nigeria. Came across very insincere.

Look at the piss taking a lot of you give ambrose. No wonder no players come out... the abuse from opposition fans would be unbearable.
  • I found the father/daughter relationship uncomfortable and the McGovern laugh and 'poof' thing was also unsavoury.

I honestly don't think it's the fans that players are 'bothered' about, like SLL says they already get abuse - its the attitude of players, managers and the media. The silence on Twitter from usual big mouths with an opinion on everything was deafening.
  • edited January 2012
    I found the father/daughter relationship uncomfortable and the McGovern laugh and 'poof' thing was also unsavoury.

I honestly don't think it's the fans that players are 'bothered' about, like SLL says they already get abuse - its the attitude of players, managers and the media. The silence on Twitter from usual big mouths with an opinion on everything was deafening.
    Totally agree, I think it said a lot about Rio Ferdinand.

For me, it's all about the player and his associates thinking they will lose money via endorsements/transfer fees.

Was interesting that only the senior pro's at Millwall would step up.

As for John Fashanu.........
  • McGovern came over as creepy but, as mentioned by Curb_It, John Fashanu came across as terribly insincere.
  • McGovern came over as creepy but, as mentioned by Curb_It, John Fashanu came across as terribly insincere.
    (off topic) Lovely looking Daughter tho........

(off topic) Lovely looking Daughter tho........

Agreed!
  • In that Secret Footballer column he makes it clear that the real reason no footballer would come out is because of the fans, not fellow footballers. I'd have to agree with that, the stick would be merciless and unending.
  • John McGovern came across as every other bloke I know from his and indeed my generation.
  • edited January 2012
    Yes because didnt someone mention that players turn up to functions with male partners but not ones where their managers would be? Imagine what Fergie would say?

I think again McGovern is just another era and laughed more re "that being a cloughie type thing to say".. back then wasnt the word poof more commonly used than gay.

We have moved on but if a player doesnt want to come out and be openly abused then he should not have to come out, especially if its for his own peace of mind.

• Sponsored links:

• I thought it was an interesting show, I couldn't give a rats arse if any of our players came out, I'm straight do I get a medal too, yes if a player came out he would get pelters from the oppo, and from his own fans (there will always be a moron element) but there is a saying, 'sticks and stones...etc..etc'
  • Fash came accross so poorly, he seemed like he was trying to save face from that interview in 1990.... terrible.
  • From todays Metro,

Blackburn and Stoke are battling to sign Nancy defender Jean Calve.
    So obviously he's not botherd
    Seriously though i'm with Curb-it and Greenie.
  • Brighton as a team have been taking stick for years over their attachment to a large gay population.
    When she questioned the two senior Millwall players if they knew of any of their team being gay, how they never had a laugh at one of their teammates expence is beyond me.
    This isn't being homophobic, just having a sense of humour.
  • But they probably did. tho it would have got edited out.
  • Don't think Fash liked his younger brother much did he? Tried blackmailing MP's and was up for an assault charge on a 17 year old girl, Justin wasn't the nicest of men according to some.
  • A Fash interview is always, um, interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mknrOfgj4
  • I have not seen the show but am not surprised that John Fashanu came across badly, he is just about the most absurd person in public life.

The funny thing is that Fashanu thinks he is erudite, clever and something of an intellectual when he is, in fact, a well spoken moron, similar in many ways to a Hooray Henry type.
  • John Fashanu is one weird individual.