Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs. Charlton | 28th January 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited January 2012 in General Charlton
After dispatching of the two Sheffield teams in consecutive weeks using nothing but timewasting, dirty tactics and the summoning of leprechauns all around the land to give us a lot of luck (…), many could be forgiven to thinking that the hard work was over. Statto.com has us finishing on 96 points, nine clear of second place and 11 from the fateful third place, but before we even contemplate that we need to pick up points where all and sundry will be expecting us to.

On Saturday, we face an Exeter team who have not lost at home in their past six games although four of those results have been stalemates. Make no mistake, a victory at lowly Exeter will be a decent result – they have the fifth best defence at home in the whole league and have only conceded 1 goal in their last four at St James Park. Last year saw the Addicks succumb to a last minute defeat down in the South West and Chris Powell and his troops will be hoping to reverse fortunes in a fixture that has not seen Charlton win since 1929 in a division 3 (south) fixture where Len Glover, Soundasa£, Henry Irving, Ketman and March saw the Reds run out 5-2 winners.

There is very little to say about a defence that can’t be questioned, so Preview Towers will quickly move onto the centre of the park where options are being added to Powell’s armoury. Dale Stephens played over an hour against Margate midweek and will look to breathe down the impressive Bradley Pritchard’s neck in the next couple of weeks, although Saturday may come slightly too early. There seems no logical reason to swap anything else around in midfield although Stephens may take over bench-warming duties from Daryl Russel who commences a period of suspension.

Yann Kermongant, fresh from having his neck tickled by James Beattie last weekend will be looking to get the partnership with Bradley Wright-Phillips back up and running. Having activated a clause in his contract to keep him at The Valley for an extra year, BWP will be hoping to end a scoring drought at a ground that will be belters-a-plenty due to his previous Plymouth allegiances.

Two fantastic wins will mean nothing if we can’t back it up with expectant victories, but this game will confirm our status as the best team in the league. It’s been a year of breaking hoodoos, and an 83 year drought without a victory is another to banish for Powell and his band of Merry Men with a 2-0 victory.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    Taylor back to his former club too.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    balls, just broken one of my superstitions for this season - of not opening the pre-match thread,it had been very successful so far. sorry everyone.
  • Options
    Agree with the 2-0. goals from Kermit and Hollands
  • Options
    Oi! you cheeky whipper-snapper : - )

This run of four games could turn out to be pivotal to the whole season. Games that on league postition we would be expected to win but where we still have to outplay and outfight teams with something of their own to play for.

12 from the next 12 and the gap to third will have really opened up.

Hard game which we'll win with another "lucky" goal from BWP early on.

1 - 0 to the Champions.
  • Options
    Statto.com is completely wrong. 100 pts beckons.

3-0 to Charlton, BWP, Kermogant and Jackson on the score sheet.
  • Options
    gonna be a tough game and can see the huge away following sellout roaring us on to a comprehensive victory 0-4

• Options
    1-1, a hard fought game ending in a draw
  • Options
    Well we've won 4 of our last 5 league games, the one we lost was against Orient with 10 men so our form is pretty good.

Hopefully we'll be too much for them but it'll be another tough game like they all are. Taylor against his old club to head one in and BWP to score. Hope it's not a return to the miserable form we had before Xmas where we drew with Walsall and Oldham. Next 3 games are all winnable win them all and we'll be a minimum 10 points clear so a big week coming up.

But if I had to make a prediction I'd put money on a last minute Ben Marshall winner
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    A dog will run on the pitch. Charlton fans will abuse it and question its heritage. A thread bemoaning the dog haters will appear at fulltime. There will be 78 posts before someone who has nicked a respected posters username will lible the dog and cause the thread to be closed. It wont sell out. We wont win or score. 0-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm having to spend 2 1/2 hours with @Northstandsteve on the way back so praying for a win!

2-1 to the Addicks
  • Options
    After assessing both teams the only possible outcome is 9-3 victory with Simon Francis and Izale Mcleod sharing our goals.
  • Options
    just weighed out £72 for a train ticket so we better win.

3-0 addicks
  • Options
    1-1 which will be decent with two home games coming up
  • Options
    Players will have the hump because we are top of the league and have only sold half our allocation plus we are all racists plus we never win there other than friendlies in the Curbs glory years

1-0 Exeter.
  • Options
    WIll be tough as all games are but we should have too much quality - the game BWP breaks his drought - quite possibly. I'll go for 3-0 after an even first half hour.
  • Options
    3-2 with Jackson,green and bwp on the score sheet
  • Options
    1-0 Addicks, Jackson free kick, 3 games on the trot.
  • Options
    They will certainly be under orders not to give free kicks away in dangerous positions so might be a good tactic to run at them a bit.
  • Options
    2-1 charlton, Kermits 2nd half brace completes the comeback.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0...BWP with a brace to silence the critics.
  • Options
    2-0...BWP with a brace to silence the critics.
    Are his teeth that bad

:-)
  • Options
    I'll be delighted with a point and ecstatic with any more than that.
  • Options
    Exeter are averaging 1.0 goal a game at home. We've averaging 1.7 goals per game away. The stats say the score should be Exeter 1 - 1.7 Charlton
  • Options
    4-0

Kerm 2, bwp and hollands
  • Options
    Being the pessimist that I am where Charlton are concerned ........ The wheels fall off Saturday and a1-0 defeat .... Leaving our detractors to yet again claim we were punching above our weight. Of course goes without saying will be glued to iplayer and be delighted to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    My lad has just about convinced me to drive to this as he badly wants to go.

4 hours there and 4 hours back...very tempted.

If we go it will be a 1-0 loss. If we don't go it will be a 1-0 loss.
  • Options
    Unlike many you guys seem to realise that "bigger club" is not the same as "better team" on the day. I just love reading the comments from Leeds or Wednesday fans who seemed to think losing to Exeter really was one of the worst results in their history, entirely missing the point that we were/are in the same division because they were poor enough to get relegated and we were good enough to get promoted. In some ways it's a shame you're so respectful because that arrogance helps us I think. I fear that BWP will be abused again and will make "us" pay for it again. You know, while I would never join in with those chants what really annoys me is that the idiots don't seem to have noticed the obvoious which is that your typical professional im inspired by tbat kind of thing into a matchwinning performance. Instead the better he does the more they abuse him. However I really don't thimk that any club is worse than another in terms of the proportion who indulge in that kind of stuff. BIt of luck (no, lot of luck) and we might just edge it (see my second sentence above).
  • Options
    It's the same when Defoe plays against us. He never fails to score.
  • Options
    I cant see anything other than a comfortable Charlton win. Exeter don't score many goals ( or create many chances ). Definitely the game where BWP gets back on the score sheet.