Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 19th Feb 1994 Bristol City 1 Charlton 1

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
F.A. Cup 5th Round. Bristol City 1 (1) (Tinnion 11) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Robson 59) Aston Gate, Att: 20,416

Bristol City: Welch, Munro, Scott, Shail, Bryant, Tinnion, Martin, Pennyfather (Bent 70) Robinson, Allison, Edwards. Unused subs: Llewellyn, Leaning.

Charlton: Salmon, Brown, Minto, Pardew, Balmer, McLeary, Robson, Pitcher, Leaburn, Grant, Nelson. Unused subs: Garland, Sturgess, Bolder.

Referee: K. Hackett (Sheffield)

Charlton won the replay at The Valley 2-0 in front of 8,205 fans. A Darren Pitcher penalty on 36 minutes and an 89th minute Kim Grant goal being enough to secure a quarter final encounter with Manchester United*
*for another day.

Comments

• Options
    Was at this game although i was very young 10 or 11. Remember it seem like there was about 5 thousand cafc fans there. I was stood near the front and remember looking behind as the players came out and the sea of ripped up newspapers being thrown into the air was amazing and the 'who ate all the pies' bloke. dont remember much about the game tho.
  • Options
    I was there too...typical nervous cup tie, we had the whole of the away end and Robson equalised with a cross to the far post, he feinted to shoot one way, when the keeper committed himself he buried the shot the other way. a cool finish.

What else...a Charlton player getting injured, a City player kicking the ball out to allow the physio on and then Minto taking the throw and giving the ball to one of our players, that was just before the equaliser but not I think in the move that led to the goal.
  • Options
    I was not at this game but wasn't this the game when it all kicked off in the Charlton end with some City fans either during the game or just after it? I am sure that I heard about some crowd trouble at this one.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite] and the 'who ate all the pies' bloke. [/quote]

you mean this guy:

http://www.charltonlife.com/gallery/index.php?album=Steve_Bridge&image=tangotickertape.jpg
  • Options
    THATS THE GEEZER!!!!!!
    what happend to him?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Didn't go to this game but went to the replay. Wasn't this game one referred to at length by Gary Nelson in his first book? Wasn't he the one who got injured? I went to the Blackburn away reply game eariler in the competition (great night) and the ManUre game that followed (great day out). That was a really good cup run.

Who remembers the shambolic ticket arrangements for the ManUre game? Queuing right the way up Harvey Gardens and up round the corner up towards the Heights. The club changed the allocation basis as we were in the queue. I wanted two tickets which were originally available to non season ticket holders/members. After a hour or so in the queue, it was changed to members 2 ticket each.None members weren't going to get any. I had left my Valley Gold membership stuff at home in Tunbridge Wells. I decided to go and borrow my dad's who lived about 3/4 hr away. The blokes around me held my place in the queue and I went off for and hour and half, returning and the queue had only moved about 10 yards forward. What a shambles. Still it was worth the effort.
  • Options
    Sadly, i think most memories of this game will be blurred by the trouble that followed. Knew there was going to be a waiting committee when five minutes from time, about 100 blokes in the block to our left all got up and left at the same time. Parking a skip next to a football ground has to go down as one of the most stupid decisions ever.

Remember we took 6,000, which was amazing baring in mind our home crowds and it wasn't exactly a plum draw. On a big open terrace though, the atmosphere was a real let down.
  • Options
    Remember standing there making the old man blow ballons up then as the teams came out releasing and watching them all disappear over the back of the stand. Also remember jumping of a six foot wall into a park to get away from the trouble as we left
  • Options
    I went with my Dad to this one. Got there quite late I think, ended up standing towards the right of the goal towards the end of the terrace. I always remembered it as a good atmosphere but might be wrong.

I don't really remember much violence after the game but could feel it in the air as I walked out. I think we were seperated from the city fans by a line of that police-do not cross tape.
  • Options
    I remember the game well during my tax dodgign days.

I remember the game mainly cos of the aggro outside.That was not police tape - it was a single rope. Just that seperated us from the home fans. Ahh yes the nearby skip that was loaded with wood. That was stragetically placed. As for the game - yes awesone away following.

It was one of the final games before our 1993-94 season went completely tits up.

The game that started the rot? Man U V Charlton 12(?) March 1994.

The run afterwards? Was it 3 wins out of 15?

I went to a few of them - Tranmere, Boro and Derby. All 3 games ended in 2-0 defeats. The team had the stuffing knocked out of them. How small was John Vaughan?

Too many games that season. 61 including the Anglo Italian Cup?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    13 years ago. Time flies! We took 6,000 down there. Coaches laid on cheap by the club - £5.

As AFKA says the match is only memorable because of the trouble.
  • Options
    Bump.
    Went to both matches - from Scotland. Drove down to Bristol and stayed with a cousin for the first one, then splashed out on a flight (and time off work) to go to the replay. Sat in the West Stand, I think. Can't believe the home crowd was that small - but think that was a capacity issue in those days. We then took 10,000 to Old Trafford for the next round, complete with optimistic half-time singing of "Things can only get better". Perhaps the fact that they didn't is one of the reasons why I'm now a scarred Charlton pessimist!
  • Options
    didn't russel osman (the bristol city manager) have a few derogatory words to say about us if i remember rightly
  • Options
    oh the skip - i remember some tall lanky asian geezer giving it the right big un after the game when one of our finest planted an absolute pearler of a right hander straight on the button and put him on his ass big time.

Very hairy after the game but felt we held our own LOL
  • Options
    I was on the coach that Tavern organised with the winnings from those of us on the minubus who went to Blackburn away, stopped off at Blackpool and all put a few quid on us to win at 8-1.

Was so pissed that I couldn't talk and when we walked out after the game when it was kicking off, I wondered why the fcuk everyone wearing red & white were fighting!
  • Options
    i rember hitting a charlton fan accidently who was running away,didnt get to the coach for over a hour and a half,messy!
  • Options
    Everyone will always remember the skips....I thought there were three. You knew it was going to go off when the yobs on the halfway line started to leave with about 10 mins to go. There was a lad I used to bump into all the time at away games..think he was "Involved" had a huge scar across his neck which happened up north somewhere...bumped into him before the game and he was virtually legless...said hello and he walked off to look for a "Yokel"...Needless to say he found a few and I really thought he was in for a hiding, but he couldnt half look after himself.....I saw him chasing a couple of blokes after the game.....I had my then 9 year old son with me and was trying to shield him from all the debris from the skip...it was going off all over the shop. Awesome following on the day, and there was a fair bit of revenge at the replay when City were in a minority. As for the game...well I think all the excitement happened well after the final whistle...it was still going on twenty minutes after the game in the car park where Id left my car.
  • Options
    Yep I was on the Tavern coach,paid for by our winnings at Blackburn,what a day.
  • Options
    I went to this one with my old man, remember one of our players getting booked for 'over exuberant celebration' when we scored as it was the years definite booking offence that they were cracking down on.
  • Options
    Drunk in a pub named after one of their old players before the game. England international. A few CHarlton were singing and it wasn't going down to well with the locals. There were a few scuffles outside before

Remember it being a edgy game. A few nasty tackles and then we didn't throw the ball back to them. At the end the people in the upper tier of the stand to our left were throwing coins down on us. No police or stewards move to stop them.

The "thin blue line outside" ie a bit of rope meant we had some gobby city fans giving it. One said "you're small time Charlton and that's all you'll ever be". I had to laugh. You'd expect that from Spurs or Chelsea but Bristol City!

Was parked near an open green and there were running fights all up the road. some Charlton chased some City fans one of whom turned and landed a perfect punch on the chin of an oncoming Addick. He went down in a wobble like the opening sequence of Tales of the unexpected.

Couldn't get in the car when we reached it as there was fighting in the road and couldn't get round to open the door (this was before the car we went in had central locking). When we did we just drove off in the directon we were facing and drove around until we found a sign for the motorway.

Thankfully don't get so much of this rubbish anymore the police are slightly more on top of things. We were Div 2 then. What division were City in? Div 3 (I'm talking old money here)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nope same as us i believe at the time.
  • Options
    great day out had a bit of everything on par with Ipswich away in the 80's in the cup ........happy days
  • Options
    I still laugh just thinking about once it had all settled down, it turned into a real uneasy ghost town. We carried on walking down a road then suddenly the doys of a pub on our right opened, and this huge great big fat bloke came charging out towards. He was absolutely massive, but couldn't really run, and when he got within 10 yards of us, he lost his footing on a curb, and went face down into the road in about 0.1 seconds. He laid there for about 2 minutes while we launched into a mix of relief and uncontrollable laughter, and then a police man come and led him away, with most of his face still left on the road.
  • Options
    If I remember right on your ticket it had the section you had to go in by the colour of your stub ie...Blue,Yellow etc etc!

I was to the right of the goal and when we came out it was a piece of rope keeping us apart hahahaha!
    To the right their was a big advert hording with a gap to the right and as we walked past Brizzle chargered through it and attacked!
    They must have thought we were going to run back into the ground WRONG HAPPY DAYS!!

I remember a member of this board having it with a big lump in someones front garden (And doing very well)

NOW don't start me on the pie man........He came from Oxford (Cant remember his name?) he came over as this fella who knew the score and said later that season when we played Oxford Utd to meet up with him and he would have a drink with us.

We met him early doors and he was giving it that he was a main face in Oxford and he would sort out any trouble if it accured.........Yeah right! After the game we walked (5 of us Not looking for trouble may I add!) to the station 3 miles at a guess?
    When we get into the town center we meet their firm head on out numbering us 4/1 so were on our toes I'm with the pie man who has assured us he knew them and he could sort them out. So what does he do.....He runs round the corner and hides in PIZZA HUT by putting a menu in front of him which leaves me on my lonsome! Luckely they see some more Charlton in greater numbers and decide to have a pop at them! I think that was the last time he was seen a Charlton match?

Good old days eh!
  • Options
    "NOW don't start me on the pie man........He came from Oxford (Cant remember his name?) he came over as this fella who knew the score and said later that season when we played Oxford Utd to meet up with him and he would have a drink with us."

Think his name was Mark Shaw and he was a complete cnut.

Somehow managed to get hooked up with him at Oxford away in the 80's. Same thing as above, help initiate a row and then vanished.
  • Options
    ginger oxford i seem to remember,stitched one of ours up at rovers last game of the season as well GRASS GRASS GRASS
  • Options
    1377_t_w740_h600.jpg
    Here's a great photo of the game.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited June 2009
    and Im in it......crikey I had some hair then......

Im with Dave Millbank...I wonder if he still goes? We went down in a V8 Discovery Id just bought new.....the trip cured me of wanting a Discovery it cost £64 in petrol even back in those days, and I sold it 3 weeks later. Greig was with me (now 24) and Daves son Ben.

Im standing 6 rows back from Tav and to the right as you look at the picture, in a brown suede jacket next to Dave in a black bomber jacket with his arms folded...Greig is standing a couple of steps in front of us
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    god i was a lump then that is me in the front with a white Timberland top on
  • Options
    ha good day that Telnotinoz