Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Feb 17th 1976 Charlton 3 Fulham 2

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Tuesday 17th February 1976 Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Hales 32,46,90) Fulham 2 (0) (Mullery 47,52) The Valley Att: 11,551.

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Hope, Peacock, T Young, Unused sub: Bowman.

Fulham: Mellor, James, Strong, Mullery, Lacy, Moore, Lloyd, Conway, Busby, Slough, Barrett. Unused sub: Mitchell.

Referee: P. Reeves (Leicester)

Derek Hales scored his 50th career goal (and his 48th and 49th) in this game.

It was the last time many Charlton fans saw Graham Tutt play for Charlton. Four days after this game he suffered horific facial injuries due to being kicked in the face by Sunderlands Tom Finney at Roker Park which forced him to retire from pro football.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Real jumpers for goalposts stuff this. I can see it now, a rain soaked night, the numbers in the covered end always doubled
    when it rained. The steam coming off the players shirts as they waited for a corner to be delivered in front of us.
    The waft of beer and fags drifting up to the back of 'The right side'. A few choruses of "The famous Tottenham Hotspur
    went to Rome to see the Pope" at half time in the bar under the covered end and back up to watch the second half still
    clutching a light and bitter. Charlton 2 up and look like they've thrown it away.
    As some of the East Terrace begin to drift away, Killer picks the ball up on the edge of the box with his back to goal,
    two defenders close behind him. He spins and knocks the ball past one of them, wrestling him to the ground and just as
    the second defender thinks he's got the ball, Killer stretches out his leg and stabs the ball past the despairing
    keeper. The covered end erupts, Killer gets to his feet and clenches his fist in front of us to salute his hat-trick.

KIIIILLER......KIIIILLER.......KIIILLER

WONDERFULL

nb I was at the game but don't remember any of the goals, although Killer scored a fair few like the one described above.

Appologies to Steve Bridge for robbing his pic below.
  • great post

H&A - love these posts mate...
  • edited February 2007
    I remember this one, too......evening match under floodlights,
  • edited February 2007
    I remember this one, too......evening match under floodlights, the only time I ever saw Bobby Moore play (and Alan Mullery) - you didn't see England internationals at The Valley in those days, well, not until they were almost retired.

I do remember how we let a 2-0 lead slip and the frustration we all felt as Fulham were suddenly commanding and threatening to over run us. Even as we were pushed back we were still dangerous on the break, particularly through Paddy Powell on the right wing.

I liked Paddy - not the fastest winger but tricky and difficult to dispossess, great crossing ability and famed for cutting inside and firing thunderbolts from 25 yards. To think we picked him up at the age of 25, from non- League football for £25,000.
    Nice bloke, too, very friendly and chatty with supporters. Quite good at cutting grass these days. ;-)

That last minute Halesy goal was particularly satisfying as not only had Fulham looked the most likely team to win but Bobby Moore had been goading him, trying to trigger Killer's short fuse temper and get him sent off.
    Halesy had cut just inside the box on the left and as he was challenged, let fly from 15 yards.

As Stone said in his thread, that winning goal brought the house down and Bobby Moore stood there with hands on hips shaking his head.

I gave a few anecdotes of young keeper Buster Tutt's horrific injury - and Charlton players subsequent retribution on Tom Finney, in a previous Home & Away thread a few weeks ago.
  • edited February 2011
    I also remember the game well. The winner by Killer at the death, the two goals by Mullery, and seeing the great Bobby Moore. It was an exciting game and I stood in the covered end - I often stood there for evening games. I think Killer muscled his way past Moore and co and shot from just inside the penalty area. (I've just re read Oggy's post and he confirms it). God they were great nights!! We had a great home record during this period and feared nobody. It was with real expectation that we turned up to see our attractive team stretching the opposition and winning most of the time. As for our away record, well we'll draw a discrete veil over that.

As for Bobby Moore, I was too young really to remember his Hamsters days. Still I tell my kids I saw him play live, that was good enough for me
  • Graham Tutt, what a terrible injury and what a sad loss to the club he was. He only came to prominance the previous promotion season. He came out of the reserves almost from nowhere. There were stories about him being too small and then he just kept on growing until he was over 6 feet tall. He was replaced in the team by Jeff Wood who became one of my hero's particularly after a wonder save in injury time against Orient at Brisbane Road to keep us in the division a season or so later.
  • Great post, So Many memories, Killer scored right at the end, also went to the game at craven cottage 1-1, wasn't a bad season, went to quiet a lot of aways this season, think we even finished above Chelsea,keep em' coming, H&W,God it just takes me back.
  • [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Great post, So Many memories, Killer scored right at the end, also went to the game at craven cottage 1-1, wasn't a bad season, went to quiet a lot of aways this season, think we even finished above Chelsea,keep em' coming, H&W,God it just takes me back.

Yeah, I went to the away game as well Badge, my main memory was walking back to my car and having to duck as Fulham nutters were lobbing milk bottles in our direction. The ground was a sh*t hole then and guess what, its still a sh*t hole now. Happy days eh!
  • edited February 2007
    Sounds familar bingaddick,Forest away the same season night game,we done em 2-1 was the same, got a good kicking as usual? Coaches got done as well.If ONLY we had mobiles in them days eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, remember it, as went to the game by myself as a 13 year old for the 1st time I think. Used to go with my Dad but my Nan was seriously ill and he couldn't go.

Remember coming home all excited about Killer's last gasp winner.

I thought he broke away from the half way line, running towards the Away end and smashed home a low shot from the edge of the area.

Great goal in my mind.

God I loved Killer, he'll always be my all time favourite.
  • edited February 2010
    I remember it the other way round Oggy. Hales booting Booby Moore all over show to knock his normal control for six. Must have worked as hales scored 3. Loved the win but sorry to see a true great struggling at that level.
  • One of Mullerys goals was a 30 yard screamer.
  • Killer days....
  • Another great night game at the Valley ... night games seem to have lost the quality they had in those days ... either that or I'm getting old ;-)
  • Graham Tutt was at Turnham Road Primary School in Brockley, a couple of years above me. I remember him playing in the Invicta Cup Final in around 1968, against Marvels Lane School. The school was a hot-bed of football, within the Honor Oak Estate, and produced a number of league players, including David Rocastle, Ian Wright, Steve Anthrobus, and now BWP, mainly due to an excellent after school football club for 8-14 year-olds, run by a coach called Mr Mitchell, which was rare in those days.
    I think Graham went to Roger Manwood Secondary School in Forest Hill, and used to work with my old man during the school hols in a shipping company in Peckham. I remember the old man telling me he was having a trial at QPR, next thing he's at Charlton in the first team, it was that quick. So he was the product of the old trial system.

The injury was a tragedy. But he's done well for himself in the States.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]I think Graham went to Roger Manwood Secondary School in Forest Hill, and used to work with my old man during the school hols in a shipping company in Peckham. [/quote]

My Dad used to teach at Roger Manwood during the time that Graham Tutt was there. I think David Rocastle might have gone there too.

My Dad has some "interesting" stories from his time there. One time he was asking the kids what they did in the evenings, and one said "I go out driving with my Dad and he tries to run over n****rs".
  • Just found this. The manager, I assume, was Andy Nelson.

The Implication of injury were profound for Graham Tutt, the Charlton Athletic goalkeeper who was forced to retire after a kick in the face at the age of 20:

“It’s impossible to erase from my memory the moment of impact and pain when the boot of…made contact with my face at full force. The physical and mental scars of the accident will be with me for the rest if my life…I reached the ball at the split second that…was poised to strike it. His boot whacked me in the face…I couldn’t hear anything. Everything was hazy and strange.

‘He’s kicked my eye out’ was the immediate thought that ran through my mind. There was also a great deal of blood spurting from my nose and more blood coming from my cheek. My eyelid was split as well. But the most frightening thought was that I had lost an eye”.

In a long and detailed account of the post-trauma events, Tutt did not indicate that his psychological ‘scars’ were appreciated by those involved in the treatment. In fact, when Tutt reached the dressing room, the manager’s reaction was hardly sensitive:

” By this time both my eyes were closed and I was coughing blood, as he said to me,’Can you go on?”
  • TELTEL
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Another great night game at the Valley ... night games seem to have lost the quality they had in those days ... either that or I'm getting old ;-)

That crackling atmosphere......the smell of beer, and onions, a bit of mist around the floodlights and that air that something special just might happen.....long gone and difficult I would imagine for the younger fans to appreciate.....The Valley was "Earthy" back then.

The sad thing is I can picture both the game and Tutty like it was yesterday......nice memories but tinged with sadness when the full extent of Tutts injuries began to unfold

On the other hand I remember the fat Fulham pleb giving it some on the London bound platform with his mates...thought he was untouchable until he looked behind him.....
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Another great night game at the Valley ... night games seem to have lost the quality they had in those days ... either that or I'm getting old ;-)

That crackling atmosphere......the smell of beer, and onions, a bit of mist around the floodlights and that air that something special just might happen.....long gone and difficult I would imagine for the younger fans to appreciate.....The Valley was "Earthy" back then.

'Earthy' ... great way to describe it Tel.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    the smell of beer and onions

Thought you were describing Off It for a minute :-)
  • I also recall seeing Bobby Moore at the Valley in another home match against Fulham, probably the following season. A nice sunny day to begin with, then a monsoon half-way through the first half had everyone running for cover. As I was in the open end, the nearest cover was the Valley Shop behind the main stand. Spent 15 minutes sheltering in there until it stopped.
  • Real football.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

I also recall seeing Bobby Moore at the Valley in another home match against Fulham, probably the following season. A nice sunny day to begin with, then a monsoon half-way through the first half had everyone running for cover. As I was in the open end, the nearest cover was the Valley Shop behind the main stand. Spent 15 minutes sheltering in there until it stopped.

My dad took me that this one it was my second time watching Charlton..i'm not sure but George Best may have been down to play in this one but was "injured"
  • Hales trod all over Bobby Moore that game. Kicked him up and down the pitch. Scored a hat trick but it was sad to see a true English legend like Moore past his sell by date.
  • I am sure i was in the programme for this game either on the front or inside. Albeit part of an east terrace crowd scene but i had black national helths on and a broken arm so couldnt be missed.
  • For some reason I remember Mullery's screamer more than of the Hales goals but I remember the feelgood factor after beating a team that had some names in it.
  • A great Valley evening under floodlights
  • Does anyone else remember Bobby Moore standing to attention and saluting the ref as he was being booked in front of the covered end or is my dodgy memory getting even more dodgier
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8594282641

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/