Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    I haven't picked it up for a while purely because I'm no good at watching DVDs, Internet clips and self teaching. I just get too peed off.

Would I be better getting a tutor. Really want to crack it but it stresses me out too much.
  • Options
    Started learning a few weeks ago. Played the drums for a number of years but its proving a bit tricky to bang the skins in my new flat, had a few lessons and things seem to be progressing well, can play quite a few riffs, few chords and strum to some tunes, will keep it going for a while longer I think.
  • Options
    I only know C, D and G - but you'll be surprised how many songs only use C, D and G
  • Options
    Proper Rock n Roll only has 3 chords, anymore is just showing off.
  • Options
    I'm doing the same with a drum kit and hope MOG can give me some pointers when he visits eh @Miserableoldgit?

; )
  • Options

I haven't picked it up for a while purely because I'm no good at watching DVDs, Internet clips and self teaching. I just get too peed off.

Would I be better getting a tutor. Really want to crack it but it stresses me out too much.

Find a friend to jam along with.
  • Options
    Stebo said:

I only know C, D and G - but you'll be surprised how many songs only use C, D and G

And A minor. A classic combo.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Throw in a simple 2 finger E minor chord - and you've a load more songs in the key of G.
  • Options
    Three chords? Luxury! Two should be enough for anybody (ask the Velvets). If you have to showboat and stick in a third chord, keep it minimal!
  • Options
    While learning three chords, I recommend to check out a lot of songs on first albums by the artist because they mostly just consist of those main chords.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been playing for just 3 years.

Surprised at what helped me.

Guitar hero - it does help in a strange way.

You tube lessons - very useful, you can learn almost anything just by, with good help, an interactive teacher.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I'm doing the same with a drum kit and hope MOG can give me some pointers when he visits eh @Miserableoldgit?

; )

Would love too !
    ;-)

• Options
    I'm looking to buy my third guitar - I really want a Rickenbacker. Anyone got one?
  • Options
    Paul wellers got one.
  • Options

Paul wellers got one.

Ah great, if you see this Paul can you PM me?
  • Options
    Played one CH didn't much care for it but no doubt Rickenbackers have their own sound. Thinking about buying a PRS up to now I have been a Gibson man but was really impressed with the PMS I tried
  • Options
    People always said that Rickenbackers had a slightly narrower neck so were trickier to play, although Weller and McGuinn didn't do a bad job. My mate had a semi acoustic Rick which was a beaut, but a nightmare where feedback was concerned, although semi's always had that problem.

Best bet as always is to give it a good thrash in the shop, not in the Pete Townsend manner as you might get a hefty bill.

• Options
    I once tried to trade in my Gibson SG for a Ricky and the guy in the shop (who knew me) talked me out of it! Looking back I can't for the life of me remember why I ever thought that was a good idea. Maybe have a Ricky as well, but not instead of.
  • Options
    Hmm some interesting feedback, cheers guys. Looks like I'll be heading down to GAK in Brighton then.
  • Options
    I have a custom built strat sounds great but not in my hands, think finger are too short and it hurts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Kev I always thought The Strat was perhaps the most user friendly guitar of all, certainly the most versatile. Still prefer Gibson's though.
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Kev I always thought The Strat was perhaps the most user friendly guitar of all, certainly the most versatile. Still prefer Gibson's though.

Agree about the Strat, I've had a few over the years, I've got an ex Gary Moore Hamer Sunburst form the late '70's, a Gibson SG, Tele and a couple of acoustics, but my main Guitar is a 1984 E series strat, with the tone booster and Gotoh pick ups, best guitar I've ever played, loverly.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Throughout my long long life playing the guitar I've always loved Gibsons, but I've also had Strats and I must agree that they're more versatile for the jobbing musician. Since getting a Strat Plus 4 years ago it has instantly become my number one guitar for "general use".
  • Options
    Hmmm...just reading through this again - 6 months later I am still doing battle with scales, or specifically modes - ionian, dorian, mixolydian etc - do any of you chaps who play guitar know the various modes & how to apply them, or do you rely on playing by ear/experience?

Anyone else started or given up recently - I am using guitarjamz.com as my online teacher - Marty Schwartz is an excellent teacher
  • Options
    Been playing about ten years now, mostly electric. If I could go back and learn differently I would. I first started when I was about 15, just as I was getting into a lot of hard rock/metal music. Didn't have any lessons or do any online tutorials, but I just learned the songs and the music I loved. That was all well and good, but it left me in a position for quite a while were I could play headbanging thrash metal riffs but no next to nothing about the basics of the instrument.

Whatever you do, try not to get as worked up as this lad...

youtube.com/watch?v=9DbUPjEbIvA
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Hmmm...just reading through this again - 6 months later I am still doing battle with scales, or specifically modes - ionian, dorian, mixolydian etc - do any of you chaps who play guitar know the various modes & how to apply them, or do you rely on playing by ear/experience?

Anyone else started or given up recently - I am using guitarjamz.com as my online teacher - Marty Schwartz is an excellent teacher

Don't bother with all that theory shit. I know most of the modal theory (by no means all), but I play by ear and feel. Modes are derived from the major scale, and all designed to give a 'feel' to pieces. For instance, play something in the Phrygian mode (flat 2,3,6,7 - minor & minor seventh chords) and you'll notice it 'feels' like a flamenco piece. Similarly, if you play anything in Locrian mode (flat 2,3,5,6,7 - dim & flattened fifth chords) you'll feel it sounds 'evil' ('nuff death metal guitarists use this for soloing). All you need to know, theory-wise - is where to solo using mode patterns on the fretboard. Just practice making the mode patterns - eventually it'll come as naturally to you as soloing in major & minor scales.

Don't get bogged down in theory - you'll end up listening to jazz fusion and disappear up your own arsehole!
  • Options
    Tits to scales. I don't even use chords any more. Just make it sound nice.
  • Options
    I'd settle for being 1% as good as Clarence White...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6GBC6O62A
  • Options

Ohh a guitar thread!

I've got a telecaster deluxe reissue and after months of searching I've just purchased a Fender Cyclone.

Picture(s) pls