Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Playing a 6string tuned to b is enough strings for me, any more would interfere with mid-note drinking.
  • Leroy, you forgot to mention the lighter fluid.
  • Playing a 6string tuned to b is enough strings for me, any more would interfere with mid-note drinking.
    LOL - you're not 'proper' doom unless you have tunes under 20 bpm...

I used to play a 6 string tuned to B, but no matter what set-up I had, the strings flapped about like f**k and my intonation kept going way out. Don't have that problem with the 7 string :)
  • Leroy, you forgot to mention the lighter fluid.
    Ha - what, for cleaning, or for Hendrix-esque dangerous experiments in arson...
  • Our Betfair corespondent does/did.
  • Must be the oldest on this thread just realised I started on the guitar 40 years ago. Would echo Mattaddick's sound advice ( no pun intended) and try to find someone who is a bit better than you, a mate who you can watch and learn from. That was what helped me. Failing that maybe a few lessons. I found that was the best way to pick stuff and technique up. Also play runs really slowly at first so that you are playing them accurately and cleanly. Speed up gradually instead of trying to go at 90 mph , it will sound better in the long run. Good luck with it, I still always enjoy picking up a guitar, that thrill never goes.

I'm on at least 40 years (I have a feeling it's about 42.5), but it's not a competition (is it?). During my one visit to the Lib, I met a few very very old Clique members and one of them is a player of some renown.

To answer the question about equipment, my main guitar these days is a Fender Strat Plus from the 1980s bought for me (secondhand I hasten to add) by my wife for my 50th birthday. First real Fender I've ever owned. Until it packed up in the middle of a gig recently, my amp was a Peavey Classic 30 - our bassist is trying to repair it as we speak. Previously owned a simply marvelous Marshall JCM 800. Problem was getting a good sound at the volume I wanted to play. Mind you, I got a lot more for that than I paid for it.

• My gf's dad plays the guitar and has acoustic and electric.

He is going to give me some lessons and has tuned the guitar for me. Hopefully I have the patience to keep at it even when certain parts are driving me mad. I'll just watch the dvds, read the books and take pointers from everyone on here

Thanks for the help lifers
  • I've been playing for 10 years Randy. As said it gets easier, it becomes natural. For me the best moment was playing a song then realising I wasn't having to look at the fretboard, I just knew where I was. 

I have a Burns Marquee Special, cherry red. Its my baby. 
    Also have an acoustic. Not really sure what make it is! Bought it from Greenwich market about 9 years ago. All I know is it looks and sounds lovely and has the letter K on the headstock.  

Anyway, keep practicing. Don't worry so much about getting it spot on just yet. Just get into the habit of playing and have fun!

• Anyway, keep practicing. Don't worry so much about getting it spot on just yet. Just get into the habit of playing and have fun!
    Great advice!
  • It's not cheap ... but Total Guitar magazine has kept me playing through many times when i felt like giving up, its 5 pounds a month if you buy it off the shelves but something like 3.50 with a subscription, but you get lots of info on bands, tours, interviews, techniques, lessons, and fully tabbed songs (which are fairly varied so you can almost always find something you like) as well as reviews of actual guitars and pedals and all sorts. Has helped me so very much!
  • Sponsored links:

• am currently working my way through this thanks to the excellent jbruce channel on youtube - my favourite guitar resource

tricky solo in the middle in terms of timing...great song though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPXnoLAEUSQ
  • edited February 2012
    I just wrote something so geeky about guitars that I had to delete it. Sorry. You'll never know!
  • Oakster - cheers for chipping away at a tiny bit on my ignorance. I always assumed that The Clash version was an original rather than a cover. I'd never heard this one before.
  • Thought I would see how the guitar learning is going? I have been learning over a year now
  • Struggling big time but I have been trying to teach myself through the books YouTube etc.

Might be a better idea if i just pay out for a teacher
  • Haven't read all the posts but seem to remember that Bert weedon wrote a book entitled( something like) " How to play a guitar in 1 day "

It was mentioned in the news item about his passing last week.

Apologies if this has been said previously...
  • Struggling big time but I have been trying to teach myself through the books YouTube etc.

Might be a better idea if i just pay out for a teacher
    Honestly mate get a teacher, I would of giving up ages ago if it wasn't for the bloke that teaches me, I wouldn't say I am very good just enjoy being able to pick up the guitar and have a little muck about.

• Yea that's what I want to be able to do but I know I have to put the time in to make it happen.

Must be brilliant to pick it up and just play so hopefully one day
  • What ever you are struggling with just practise it really slow (I mean painfully slow) then gradually bring the speed up and when you get use it muscle memory kicks in. I am awful at chord changes so I have to do it that way, give it go see how it goes
  • Cheers

I find cord changes extemley hard. I have to look at which fret im putting my fingers on but suppose the more practice that will change
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck and keep going mate
  • Ohh a guitar thread!

I've got a telecaster deluxe reissue and after months of searching I've just purchased a Fender Cyclone.
  • Not sure if this is still available but Nils Lofgren who plays with amongst others Bruce Springsteen used to have a web site with guitar tutorials and it was free. I used it a couple of times a few years ago and it was very user friendly. All the advice is goood especially Leroys on holding the guitar properly and getting a few lessons from a good tutor. Afetr that it's practice which personally I have never found difficult I just love picking the guitar up and playing even if it's only for 10 minutes.
  • When I started I had some lessons - it certainly helps, but I would recommend also just sitting with a guitar and mucking about - getting used to what sound comes out when you play each string and when you fret it in various positions. Also, I used to listen to songs I liked and try to play the melody - just one note stuff - after a while you'll be able to pick up a tune.
  • Good advice Saga I used to try and play along with songs actually managed to get the solo in Sunshine of your Love note for note that way, then you can start to add your own little tweaks and make it your own which is more or less what every guitarist does.
  • Some sound advice on here.
    I've been playing over 30 years, I would say learn the basic open chords first and a basic E minor scale to get your fingers working. Dont just rush into buying a different (more expensive) electric guitar in the hope that its going to improve your skill. Buy a good quality acoustic as well, you can wallpaper over the cracks with a bit of distortion on an electric, but an acoustic is less forgiving. As mentioned Justin Guitar is very good, my father in law started playing 3-4 years ago and used Justin and still does and is a sound player now. Give it plenty of time, play songs you like, get a tuner, play along to CD's, stick with standard tuning while you learn, you wont regret learning, good luck.

• Good advice Saga I used to try and play along with songs actually managed to get the solo in Sunshine of your Love note for note that way, then you can start to add your own little tweaks and make it your own which is more or less what every guitarist does.
    Seen this.....
    Hendrix swaps the lead with the bass player...... then the announcer comes on stage and jimi walks off, in the middle of a tv coverage.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52B69YDCo8s
  • How are all you beginner, intermediate and too bloody good for your own good guitarists progressing?? I am working my way through various scales at the moment trying to get to grips with solos - finding smooth rhythmic picking a challenge - but practise is the key. Anyone started or even given up recently?
  • edited July 2012
    Beginners:

Make sure your guitar is always handy to just pick up and play ......even whenever you've got a few minutes, like waiting for the kettle to boil, commercial breaks on telly etc.

You'll soon make it a habit to play in odd free moments.

And as for difficulty with chord changes, just practice making the shapes without strumming or picking etc.
    You can even do that while watching telly, listening to the radio etc.

• Ive had a guitar for 5 years. I think this could be the summer where I finally try learn to play.