Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite Millwall & Palace players

Oh come now, it's the season of goodwill, so let's be nice to our noisy neighbours, the one in the 20s semi still with original wiring & wallpaper, and the other in the shoddy Barratt 90s job. 

Two players per team:

a)  Glad we got them - one of theirs who came to us later

b) Wished we'd signed them

Mine:

Palace

a) Mark Bright - great free transfer, chipped in with some useful goals, meant we cashed in on Leaburn, & set Clive on his way at Wembley.  Plus the satisfaction that Millwall had him & completely wasted him

b) Ian Wright.  Ignore the personality, just focus on 200+ league goals & wonder what would have happened if we'd splashed out on him rather than Andy Jones.  And if you simply don't like him, remember:  he wouldn't have stayed long, we'd have cashed in, got back to The Valley sooner & not had to sell Robert Lee

Millwall

a) Nicky Johns - found & nurtured by them, but put in a great shift for us - 2 promotions & back to the top division.  Says what a nice guy Bob Bolder is, since we forgive him for pushing Nicky out

b) Tim Cahill.  He wss ours, but we let him go - Curbs/Murray's biggest mistake?  Or maybe that was Francis Jeffers...

Comments

• Palace

a) David Whyte, or getting Morts and John Humphrey back.

I'm sorry, I can't answer any of the other ones, all I can think of is how much I hated Andy Roberts, who played for both the Village Idiots and the Village People.
  • Good thread , can I suggest a third category of we wish we had not got them , tried to pick different players

Palace

a) Chris Powell .

b)  Nigel Martyn

c) John Salako

Millwall

a)Phil Walker

b)Neil Harris

c)Eamon Dunphy

• Oh come now, it's the season of goodwill, so let's be nice to our noisy neighbours, the one in the 20s semi still with original wiring & wallpaper, and the other in the shoddy Barratt 90s job. 

Two players per team:

Mine:

Palace

a) Mark Bright - great free transfer, chipped in with some useful goals, meant we cashed in on Leaburn, & set Clive on his way at Wembley.  Plus the satisfaction that Millwall had him & completely wasted him

b) Ian Wright.  Ignore the personality, just focus on 200+ league goals & wonder what would have happened if we'd splashed out on him rather than Andy Jones.  And if you simply don't like him, remember:  he wouldn't have stayed long, we'd have cashed in, got back to The Valley sooner & not had to sell Robert Lee

Millwall

a) Nicky Johns - found & nurtured by them, but put in a great shift for us - 2 promotions & back to the top division.  Says what a nice guy Bob Bolder is, since we forgive him for pushing Nicky out

b) Tim Cahill.  He wss ours, but we let him go - Curbs/Murray's biggest mistake?  Or maybe that was Francis Jeffers...

There were outside reasons why Tim Cahill 'had to leave town' so to speak...we didn't let him get away he realised he was better off getting away from London.
  • Good thread , can I suggest a third category of we wish we had not got them , tried to pick different players

Palace

a) Chris Powell .

b)  Nigel Martyn

c) John Salako

Millwall

a)Phil Walker

b)Neil Harris

c)Eamon Dunphy

Oh come now, it's the season of goodwill, so let's be nice to our noisy neighbours, the one in the 20s semi still with original wiring & wallpaper, and the other in the shoddy Barratt 90s job. 

Two players per team:

Mine:

Palace

Millwall

There were outside reasons why Tim Cahill 'had to leave town' so to speak...we didn't let him get away he realised he was better off getting away from London.
    In Curbs' autobiography, he clearly regards the Cahill loss as a mistake - "we learned a valuable lesson....".  Has fresh info come to light, &/or was Curbs being a bit coy as to the real reason we didn't sign him?
  • Crystal Palace;

Mark Bright or Alan Pardew...both influential players at the time they were with us.

Billy Gilbert - we were a bit soft at the back in the early 80's and he'd have given us some edge. Him at the back and Hales up front.

Millwall;

Nicky Johns...but as he's been mentioned we'll go for....Alan McLeary, a good servant when we had no money.

Teddy Sherringham - without doubt the best player MIllwall have produced in my time (possibly ever).

• Fair enough Adam, I just never really think of him as ex-Palace...no logic to that, I know
  • Palace: I always admired Southgate.  Of the current squad Speroni

Milwall: Harris is an obvious one from recent years.  Keller looked a very good keeper for them.  Trotter from the current batch.

• Fair enough Adam, I just never really think of him as ex-Palace...no logic to that, I know
    It's because he's Charlton through and through.  Cut him and he bleeds red...
  • glad we got him ...scp

liked to have had ....jon jackson their old goalkeeper ,always used to play a blinder against us

glad we got him ...Nicky Johns ,honourable mention to phil walker and harry cripps

liked to have had ..gordon hill

• Sponsored links:

• Sheringham and Wright up front would have done us - can't think of many more of their players i would have taken over ours over the last 20 years. Cahill was good but better than Bent? Not really. Parker and Jensen and kinsella were better midfielders and Rufus was better than any of their centre backs. Powell and Young full backs. Wingers possibly, maybe Salako in his hey day and a centre half or are we going to claim George Costa. Kasey Kellar and Nigel Martyn were good keepers but better than Kiely? Possibly, but my heart says no so i think we'd take Sheringham, Wright, and Salako at his best and add that to ours.

So:

Kiely

Young

Rufus

Costa

Powell

Salako

Parker

Jenson

Bent 

Sheringham

Wright

4 3 3 ? 

• When did you nearly sign Cahill?

Before he went to Everton? Have never seen that mentioned anywhere. I know Palace thought they almost had him.

• thomas brolin would have been good for the only purpose to make me look slim

Before he went to Everton? Have never seen that mentioned anywhere. I know Palace thought they almost had him.

Yes, apparantly we thought it was in the bag, Curbishley went on holiday and he went to Everton instead. 
  • Think we was apparently about to sign him from under the noses of Everton and Villa but obviously never happened.

The only one I actually like is Harris. Always comes across well and done very well to come back.

• Terry Hurlock (England B player) would have been a nice compliment to the silky skills of Colin Walsh - 'Av it!
  • A - Mark Bright
    B - Ian Wright
    C - Mark Hudson

D - ??? Mark Bright
    E - Alex Stepney
    F - ???

• Sorry to see Salako's name  under "wish we hadn't". Always liked him, he did a decent job on the wing in our return to the top flight. Even Robbo would have been impressed with the effort Salako put in when we were 0-2 down to Tranmere.

• Sorry to see Salako's name  under "wish we hadn't". Always liked him, he did a decent job on the wing in our return to the top flight. Even Robbo would have been impressed with the effort Salako put in when we were 0-2 down to Tranmere.

He even scored against Palace in a 2-1 boxing day win, which is about all you can ask for!
  • Millwall:

Sulivan

Sheringham

Palace:

Mark Bright

Wright

• Sponsored links:

• I thought it was the China trip that got in the way of signing Cahill?
  • Palace

a) Bobby Goldthorpe - ambition to be a footballing defender out of all proportion to his talent. Entertainer!

b)  Nigel Martyn - never bought into the Deano worship for a Prem keeper who never left his line

c) Mark Bright - his style encouraged the long ball and kept Steve jones on the sidelines

Millwall

a) Nicky Johns - I'm sure he had bad days but he used to make so many impossible saves

b) Tim Cahill - can someone whisper me why he left London?

c) Harry Cripps - thug

• 'arry Cripps

Yes, apparantly we thought it was in the bag, Curbishley went on holiday and he went to Everton instead. 

Would've been surprised if Cahill would've gone, but if it was all done bar the ink on the contract then fair enough. That would've been a bitter pill to swallow.

Must admit, can't think of many players we've signed from you, Racon & Cottrell, must be a few more.

Our best signing from you I'd say was Steve Gritt!

One I'd liked to have signed could be many, Rufus would've been ideal for us during the 90's or nicking Parker at a young age.

• Palace

a) Bobby Goldthorpe - ambition to be a footballing defender out of all proportion to his talent. Entertainer!

b)  Nigel Martyn - never bought into the Deano worship for a Prem keeper who never left his line

c) Mark Bright - his style encouraged the long ball and kept Steve jones on the sidelines

Millwall

a) Nicky Johns - I'm sure he had bad days but he used to make so many impossible saves

b) Tim Cahill - can someone whisper me why he left London?

c) Harry Cripps - thug

I'd imagine Cahill needed to leave cos of the lifestyle he lived in London - on the booze and in some trouble. Could be wrong.
  • Palace:

Nigel Martyn, Chris Powell and Wilfed Zaha

Milwall:

Teddy Sheringham, Tim Cahill and Steve Morison

• Must admit, can't think of many players we've signed from you, Racon & Cottrell, must be a few more.

One I'd liked to have signed could be many, Rufus would've been ideal for us during the 90's or nicking Parker at a young age.

Not trying to score a cheap point here, honest - but it's generally the case that players who've left CAFC for Millwall have generally been on the way down, career-wise (&, actually, the same is often true the other way).  Lawrie Madden was the exception maybe, but his best days came after he quit SE London altogether.  I can't think of many ex-Addicks who have ended up in blue where I've thought "we've missed out there". 
  • Must admit, can't think of many players we've signed from you, Racon & Cottrell, must be a few more.

Not trying to score a cheap point here, honest - but it's generally the case that players who've left CAFC for Millwall have generally been on the way down, career-wise (&, actually, the same is often true the other way).  Lawrie Madden was the exception maybe, but his best days came after he quit SE London altogether.  I can't think of many ex-Addicks who have ended up in blue where I've thought "we've missed out there". 
    We've had the shitty end of the stick when signing players from rivals. Palace have sold us some right duds, like Newman & Bowry, whilst they've pinched players like Chris Armstrong, Andy Roberts etc.Can't recall you taking many off us though, even Wimbledon got in on the act taking Kenny Cunningham.
  • Palace: Ian Wright & Nigel Martin
    Millwall: Sheringham & Hurlock

Interesting that Racon still can't get into a down in the dumps Millwall team, or is he still injured?
  • With regard to Cahill, I'm told that his Missus thought it would be a good idea if he moved away from London