Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I HATE TV FOOTBALL BROADCASTING

Comments

• Options
    You sure Townsend said he watched his dad playing for Charlton?

Don left in 62 and Andy was born in 63.

But I do have 2 very old charlton programmes that belonged to Don and which he gave to Andy. Liverpool away 61 and Sheffield U Home 59.    Will be up for auction soon
  • Options
    Mountsfield Park...........my local park as a kid.

Charlton used to play there of course and Johhny Summers walked his whippet Kim in there almost every day during the late 50's early 60's.

Hi, Yes, local to me too from about 63, although we usually went to Forster Park for a kick-around, as it was a bit nearer. Didn't know about Johnny Summers.  At the time I thought it was just a typical town park and CAFC must have played there when they first started and were (presumably) a park team.  But, according to Wiki, it had a  50,000 capacity stadium in it and, of course, we actually did play in blue and blue stripes (!) one year.

Hope others don't mind this being off-topic.
    Likely we know one another as I too used to go to Forster Park more than Mountsfield. I lived in Broadfield Road (the section near to Brownhill Road) and went to Catford Boys.
  • Options
    That's what he said and I quote "I spent many a day down at The Valley as my dad played for them"..........unless Don hung around after he stopped playing as a coach maybe?
  • Options

That's strange.....I met Andy around 1980 at a party in Croydon and he really impressed me as an articulate young fella and very confident too as most of the people at the party were a generation older than him and he wasn't put off by that one bit as some youngsters might be.

We talked a lot about his dad and Charlton if I remember. My mate Colin had an art studio and Andy's cousin worked there, hence we ended up at this party along with him somewhere in darkest Croydon...........Ouch!

I also remember the girl who's party it was parents coming home 'unexpectedly' at about 1.00 o'clock in the morning and slinging us all out. I was hiding under their daughters bed......and ended up staying a bit longer than all the others! It was worth it too if I remember rightly! 

His dad left us and joined Palarse I believe. I always thought Andy would play for us at some point in his career.............but it never came about.

• Options
    We were on national TV for Christ sake! Only a Charlton fan could moan about this...
  • Options

But I do have 2 very old charlton programmes that belonged to Don and which he gave to Andy. Liverpool away 61 and Sheffield U Home 59.    Will be up for auction soon
    He definitely said he watched Charlton as a kid and said his dad played for them.  The implication was that the two happened together, but I'm not absolutely sure that is what he said.  He might have lived in the area and watched his local club.
  • Options
    Don went on to play for Palace for three years.  When he hung up his boots he became a newsagent in Bexley, I suspect that's when Andy was taken to watch Charlton.
  • Options

He definitely said he watched Charlton as a kid and said his dad played for them.  The implication was that the two happened together, but I'm not absolutely sure that is what he said.  He might have lived in the area and watched his local club.
    That would make more sense.

He moved to Palace but assume he lived in same house as when with Charlton and his dad took him to local games.
  • Options
    I know Andy was at Welling FC at one point.....
  • Options
    All begining to make sense now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't really mind the commentators talking more about Halifax today, since it's their day against big opposition. Just glad to see charlton have a big win on terrestrial telly!
  • Options
    Don is his Dad and he did play for Welling United. Always gutted that we never picked him up as he would have done a job for us!
  • Options
    Why didn't they show the streaker?!
    sounded like they couldn't catch him either.
    How could they not catch him? I heard the crowd singing "you fat b@stard".

• Options
    We were on national TV for Christ sake! Only a Charlton fan could moan about this...
    Actually i moan every time I watch football on tele ... it's just this time it was more infruriating because it was Charlton and i wanna watch the fucking game, not a million replyas of two second clips.
  • Options
    Likely we know one another as I too used to go to Forster Park more than Mountsfield. I lived in Broadfield Road (the section near to Brownhill Road) and went to Catford Boys.
    Off topic again...

I'm afraid probably not. We lived in Killearn Road, near the Torridon Road library, but we moved around every few years (Dad following jobs or just looking for a better house), so I never went to school in Catford at all. I was at junior school in Gypsy Hill/West Norwood area and then I had a scholarship to a secondary school in Dulwich (not Dulwich College). All my time in Catford, I was on the 108B bus too early and back too late to even see local kids, let alone make friends. I've been a commuter ever since I was 10.  Aargh!
  • Options
    Andy Townsend went to Bexleyheath school(where Charlie Revell was a games teacher) so it would make sense to follow charlton.
  • Options
    Thought the commentary was fine. Underdogs were built up and played very well for 80 minutes so an upset was in the offing. Just for once we played pretty well in a cup game. Wish Smith had come on earlier for Euell but apart from that we did better than okay and avoided the banana skin. Andy Townsend was quite respectful to us and so he should be as we were his old mans team.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Henry Irving said:

That's made your day Benjamin! You must have simply loved typing that?
  • Options
    lmfao
  • Options
    Off topic again...

I'm afraid probably not. We lived in Killearn Road, near the Torridon Road library, but we moved around every few years (Dad following jobs or just looking for a better house), so I never went to school in Catford at all. I was at junior school in Gypsy Hill/West Norwood area and then I had a scholarship to a secondary school in Dulwich (not Dulwich College). All my time in Catford, I was on the 108B bus too early and back too late to even see local kids, let alone make friends. I've been a commuter ever since I was 10.  Aargh!

I went to Torridon Road School and the youth club at St Andrews Church opposite the library..........sounds like you were an Alleyn's lad?

Did you know Chris Ritchie, a long time Addick? He was my neighbour, it was his parents who first took me to Charlton in 1957 and he went to Alleyn's. 1959/1965 I'd say.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Found it more tolerable than their commentary in the England game yesterday.
  • Options

Did you know Chris Ritchie, a long time Addick? He was my neighbour, it was his parents who first took me to Charlton in 1957 and he went to Alleyn's. 1959/1965 I'd say.

I've known Chris since our return to The Valley, still goes to homes games and a good few away games. Had a few health scares about ten years ago, had a quad heart by pass. Now days spends much of his time following his race horses that he part owns.
  • Options
    Seen a lot worse ITV sporting broadcasts to be honest, did ok for once.
  • Options
    Why didn't they show the streaker?!
    sounded like they couldn't catch him either.
    How could they not catch him? I heard the crowd singing "you fat b@stard".

Maybe the 'streaker' was actually one of the lads in the sumo suits?
  • Options
    I can't see what you're moaning about. They showed all the match and it was good professional camera work. That's all that counts. If you don't like the commentary turn it off. You don't get commentary if you go to a match anyway.

Obviously the people moaning about this aren't amongst those of us who had to put up with the Player service last season.

Personally I'd be happy to watch Charlton on TV even if the commentators spoke in Arabic - which is possibly what I'd be doing if we were in The Premier League.
  • Options
    I thought the coverage was fine.
  • Options
    aka Edward Alleyn's College of God's Gift.  I don't think I knew Chris or any other Addicks fans at Alleyn's (or in SE6, apart from my own family).  He would have been doing his A levels when I was in the first year. Sorry again.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Firstly, we have to accept that the reason we were chosen as the game was because ITV were hoping for another Northwich. I don't blame them for that, as the non Charlton supporting viewers were doing likewise. I thought the coverage was good and we were paid the necessary respect in that context.
  • Options
    Andy Townsend went to Bexleyheath school(where Charlie Revell was a games teacher) so it would make sense to follow charlton.
    He also went to Upton Road Prmary School, I think I posted a picture of Andy in his school team photo at Upton Road.
  • Options

Andy Townsend was in the same year as Large at Bexleyheath School................but not quite the same footballing acumen.