Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I HATE TV FOOTBALL BROADCASTING

The whole thing does my nut in. The way after a half chance you have to see a replay of the same thing from fourteen different angles directly after while the match is going on and the ball is moving upfield. How the adverts are every two seconds in half-time and full-time. And what the f*** was with them interviewing the manager and players who'd just come off the pitch half way through the game?!?! Crazy, it angers me so much. Surely someone else agrees with me?!

Comments

• Options
    Maybe go out for a picnic or something next time? I'm just glad it was on.
  • Options
    The whole thing does my nut in. The way after a half chance you have to see a replay of the same thing from fourteen different angles directly after while the match is going on and the ball is moving upfield. How the adverts are every two seconds in half-time and full-time. And what the f*** was with them interviewing the manager and players who'd just come off the pitch half way through the game?!?! Crazy, it angers me so much. Surely someone else agrees with me?!

I tend to turn the TV on five minutes prior to kick-off, wander off and do stuff at half-time and then turn off at full time. It's your choice if you want to watch the blather. The inane mid-match commentary usually annoys me - but today's commentators seemed to know a fair bit about Halifax having seen them play once or twice, although didn't seem to know much about Charlton, presumably ITV were using local, i.e. Yorkshire/Northern based commentators staff so perhaps that was why.
  • Options

HaHa! That side-line interviewing sucks balls I totally agree! The commentary was a pile of sh1t too as always, but glad it was on, even if it was with the sound off for the most of the second half!

• Options
    Andy Townsend is bloody good though.
  • Options
    Nice to see Andy Townsend finally "come out" about his Charlton past.

Can't stand that Pal@rse mug Southgate though.
  • Options
    I though the coverage was pretty good .
  • Options
    Andy Townsend is bloody good though.

He's definately gone up in my estimations after saying he used to watch Charlton when his dad played for us.

Didn't know that until then.

Obviously I'm not proper Charlton.

• Options

Can't stand that Pal@rse mug Southgate though.
    I was in a pub and didn't hear that Off_it.............what did he have to say?
  • Options
    How can the coverage be anywhere near good when you have Adrian Chiles as the presenter? lol
  • Options
    I disliked the coverage. I hated how even when we went 4-0 up the commentators only talked about Halifax. When Jackson scored they focused more of how unlucky Halifax were to be two down rather than what a great strike it was, and when it ended they griped that it's 'not very romantic'. Barely a word about a professional job done by a team that's flying in the league. I get why they were doing it, an upset makes for better tv, but they didn't have to do it for the whole game. Charlton may as well not have been there the way they were talking
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....Don Townsend maybe?
  • Options
    I thought the coverage was decent, obviously they were going to talk about Halifax more and who can begrudge them that? Who knows when their next televised game will be - we've got one in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    ....Don Townsend maybe?
    Yep
  • Options
    These ties are all about the minnow.

99.9% of people watching who have no affliation with Charlton wouldnt be interested in us one iota.

Teams like Halifax get the limelight once in a blue moon, why begrudge them it?
  • Options
    Commentary isn't meant to be done on who gets the most coverage, it's meant to be a fair and accurate discription of the game, WHat was on today was neither IMO
  • Options
    I thought the coverage was decent but hate all the adverts. 

Also Adrian Chiles shouldn't be the presenter as he's clueless at time's.
  • Options

Especially as he has always sounded so anti-Charlton in the past
  • Options
    They did describe the game accurately though. Against Brentford in the JPT they (Birtles mainly) never stopped lauding their play, but today I don't think they went over the top.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I thought the coverage was pretty good to be honest. In fact they talked up our recent form and gave us a lot more praise than I was expecting.
  • Options
    I think it is down to opinion and/or interpretation, that said, I'm the biggest critic of most TV these days, so maybe I'm not the right person to comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Commentary isn't meant to be done on who gets the most coverage, it's meant to be a fair and accurate discription of the game, WHat was on today was neither IMO
    Tend to agree. I understand the bias towards the underdogs, but this was typical of the way ITV always writes a story beforehand and then hammers you over the head with it.  I also think the constant talk about Halifax was disrespectful to us in a way that wouldn't have happened to Shithampton or Norwich.
  • Options

The television broadcaster showing any cup match with a "minnow" playing a high-flying league team is hoping for an upset, with David beating the Goliath - in this case Charlton.

We have not rolled over and been beaten, which is great for us but does not provide the "romance " of the FA Cup that the TV companies are looking for.

Onwards and upwards. We have been selfish by not giving the majority of the television viewers what they wanted!

Tough!!

• Options
    As always with FA Cup commentary, particularly on ITV, I found the coverage hugely patronising towards Halifax. Yes they put up a decent fight in terms of effort and staying relatively organised and credit to them for keeping us quiet for 60 mins or so. However, we were pretty comfortable ourselves and I never thought we looked like losing or drawing after we scored. To listen to Champion and Beglin you'd think they had us on the rack for long periods.
  • Options
    Tend to agree. I understand the bias towards the underdogs, but this was typical of the way ITV always writes a story beforehand and then hammers you over the head with it.  I also think the constant talk about Halifax was disrespectful to us in a way that wouldn't have happened to Shithampton or Norwich.

Mountsfield Park...........my local park as a kid.

Charlton used to play there of course and Johhny Summers walked his whippet Kim in there almost every day during the late 50's early 60's.

• Options
    Why didn't they show the streaker?!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Could have been worse GARY BIRTLES could have been co comm --he borders on F88king useless.....and is do anti south clubs......... cop a listen next time he doing a sky game.................laughable the shite he comes out with
  • Options
    The only thing that annoyed me was the constant reminding of northwich every 10 minutes
  • Options
    sounded like they couldn't catch him either.
  • Options
    sounded like they couldn't catch him either.
    They never show people coming on to the pitch these days as it encourages more to do it if they think they can get on the box.
  • Options
    Mountsfield Park...........my local park as a kid.

Charlton used to play there of course and Johhny Summers walked his whippet Kim in there almost every day during the late 50's early 60's.

Hi, Yes, local to me too from about 63, although we usually went to Forster Park for a kick-around, as it was a bit nearer. Didn't know about Johnny Summers.  At the time I thought it was just a typical town park and CAFC must have played there when they first started and were (presumably) a park team.  But, according to Wiki, it had a  50,000 capacity stadium in it and, of course, we actually did play in blue and blue stripes (!) one year.

Hope others don't mind this being off-topic.