Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clive Mendonca - Hall of fame

13»

Comments

• The majority of goals that Clive scored is all we need from Nicky Ajose this season!!...

Nothing special its just about being in the right place at the right time
  • Super... SUPER Clive... Super... SUPER Clive... Super... SUPER Clive... SUPER CLIVE MENDONCA!!!!!
  • Count the goals he scored from outside the area?

I suspect van nistelrooy scored more at the valley than he did
  • On that special day he was the best striker in the world - every finish was world class.
  • When he was still at Grimsby I used to wonder why no clubs were really looking at trying to sign him as every time I had seen him play he looked quality. Especially against us. When we did sign him I knew we meant business that season. Only after that I realised just how good he actually was.
  • one of the most important and influential CAFC players EVER
  • Sponsored links:

The catalyst for the Curbs revolution!
  • And how tall was he?

THIS 1,000% and more ((:>)
  • Wont let me vote. Goals video was great though, seeing it all again.

THIS 1,000% and more ((:>)
    He was the final piece of the jigsaw (that would lead to other jigsaws) ;-)

I think his third longest range goal was a penalty.
  • edited September 2016

Count the goals he scored from outside the area?

I think his third longest range goal was a penalty.
    I recall people saying the same thing about Jimmy Greaves. ;)
  • I may be courting controversy here but whilst he did a fantastic job for us and scored a hatful of crucial goals, has he ever really shown any affection for the club?

The last thing I remember him doing was getting Steve Jones to flog a load of his stuff and we all know what happened there.

As I say, I might be speaking out of turn and he may have said some nice things about us but I can't remember seeing anything.
  • I may be courting controversy here but whilst he did a fantastic job for us and scored a hatful of crucial goals, has he ever really shown any affection for the club?

The last thing I remember him doing was getting Steve Jones to flog a load of his stuff and we all know what happened there.

As I say, I might be speaking out of turn and he may have said some nice things about us but I can't remember seeing anything.

I think its more his personality is it... Am sure you've read Alan Curbishley's book which despite not being the best gives a good insight into Clive and what he's like as a person... i.e. Curbs mentions that he was quiet all the way through the car journey after picking him up.

I reckon Mendonca is quite a shy person (i.e. I dont think he's done any Interview with any club other than the one he did for us in 2015) and is one of those Footballers who just loved to play the game and gets embarrassed easily when refered to as a hero by fans.

Quoted on the website on retirement:

Mendonca told the club's official website: "My time at Charlton has been the highlight of my career and I would particularly like to thank the fans for the reception they have always given me.

"I am bitterly disappointed that I will no longer have the opportunity to play a part in the future success of the club but Charlton will always have a special place in my affections."

I think @ForeverAddicted has it right - just a shy unassuming man who will forever be a Charlton legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• It surprises me that Mendonca even managed nine goals in our Division One title year... My memories were that he barely played but looking at the games he played in, he participated in half the season!!
  • bobmunro said:

I may be courting controversy here but whilst he did a fantastic job for us and scored a hatful of crucial goals, has he ever really shown any affection for the club?

Quoted on the website on retirement:

Mendonca told the club's official website: "My time at Charlton has been the highlight of my career and I would particularly like to thank the fans for the reception they have always given me.

"I am bitterly disappointed that I will no longer have the opportunity to play a part in the future success of the club but Charlton will always have a special place in my affections."

I think @ForeverAddicted has it right - just a shy unassuming man who will forever be a Charlton legend.
    Cheers.
  • I went to a pre season match at Margate where our team essentially comprised colts, reserves and Clive Mendonca. He was attempting a comeback from the back injury that eventually finished his career.

Quite by chance I found myself almost next to him in the bar and said that I hoped his back had stood up to the match ok. He thanked me for my concern and we chatted for about 10 minutes.

A quiet, modest, pleasant bloke in my experience.
  • It surprises me that Mendonca even managed nine goals in our Division One title year... My memories were that he barely played but looking at the games he played in, he participated in half the season!!

QPR away in December I think was his last game for us.