Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    taking my kids to their first ever hockey game this Friday - not the NHL but our hometown team the Canmore Eagles fighting to stay in an AJHL play-off spot with a game against arch enemies the Olds Grizzlies!!

http://www.canmoreeagles.com/default.aspx?p=home
  • Options
    Been many games in here stockholm
    its like foitball ends all flip over to ice hockey
    aik dgarden crowd mental game delayed
    fighting etc The Globen mad place
    Wirld cup here and helsinki this year should be fun have get cafc flag up for tv
  • Options
    Well that was tense at the end! Mighty Maple Leafs 1-0 Penguins. Reimer is back, Reimer is back woah woah! Bring on the Dirty Habs Sunday!
  • Options
    I enjoyed the apex restart.
  • Options
    Managed to get a stream to watch the 3rd straight win for the Leafs tonight against Edmonton, Winnipeg tomorrow. Really hit some form since the crazy 10 minute collapse in Pittsburgh, hoping the top two lines can keep it up along with Reimer keeping it tight. Kessel's got 6 points in his last 2 games and Lupul's goal drought ended tonight. All in all a satisfying 6-3 victory!
  • Options
    Wouldn't get too excited about pushing 6 past the Oilers. They'd be doing better with Doc and Big Mig in defence.
  • Options
    Canmore...Isn't that where Gavin Peacock now lives Oakster? I have a hunch that it could be a repeat Stanley Cup final this year between the might Canucks and the Bruins! Would be great. Would also be great to see that horrible weasel on a man Marchand hit and flattened by 230lbs...I hate him like I hate that ex Liverpool and Bolton player that gobs on people (cant bloody remember his name now)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Oilers have a lot of young talent (Gagner's 8 point night was outrageous) but dreadful coaching. You also can't have 6 d-men who think they're Paul Coffey and expect to make a serious run at the cup. Give them a couple of years and some shrewd tradesfree agency moves though and they'll be a contender.

Anyone see Orpik send Paille into orbit the other night? THAT is why it's the greatest sport on Earth. Totally clean open-ice hit, absolutely mullers the bloke and he gets up and carries on playing like nowt happened.
  • Options
    Wouldn't get too excited about pushing 6 past the Oilers. They'd be doing better with Doc and Big Mig in defence.

To be honest I've been more concerned with our defence, but Reimer seems to have got some form back after having a terrible season since his concussion in pretty much the second week. Beating the Habs 5-0 Saturday night was the more impressive win, we beat Winnipeg tonight and we start to put a bit of distance between ourselves and 9th place.

As for Gagner's 8 point night, how the hell does anyone get 8 points in one game?! Remarkable! But after last night if he asks nicely Dion Phaneuf will let him out of his pocket by Friday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BOOM - now that's a hit. As good as Phaneuf rolling over Sauer earlier this year
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc3ij0TSqAc

Dion is a beast, his old man's reaction is quality!
  • Options
    It was officially announced today (although it been common knowledge for quite a while) that the Leafs will play Detroit in the 2013 Winter Classic, can't wait for the 24/7 coverage and I'm seriously thinking of going over for it. 115,000 people watching it will be insane.
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    When does the season start and finish?

What channel do you watch it on?
  • Options
    How 'bout them Leafs eh RA?

:o)

Was laughing and joking with a Laffs fan at work earlier this season after he told me they'd make a serious run at the cup this year. Told him he should be more concerned about making the playoffs - looks like I was right! He took the piss out of me for suggesting that - they were about two wins out of first at the time. He's not laughing now!
  • Options
    I'd been too embarrassed to post in this thread for ages! It's been so bad it's almost funny. Thank god Burke finally fired Wilson though, giving him a contract extension earlier in the season was absolutely scandalous! Hopefully Carlyle can sort it out and try and resuce some sort of run for the Play Offs. Beating Montreal Saturday night certainly is a good start but beating Boston on Wednesday would really get the belief back. Feels like forever since we got any change out of the Bruins.
    I take it you saw Malkin's goal a couple of weeks back (Can't remember who it was against)? Absolute joke! He destroyed a whole team single handedly. What a player.
    I saw a guy in the away end at Bournemouth wearing a Penguins jacket, that wasn't you by any chance was it? Surely we can't have two of you dodgy lot supporting the Addicks?! :o)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    How come that us (adopted) Canadians, overwhelmingly the number one hockey loving nation on the planet are so consistently rubbish NHL wise - most teams in the US are made up of a good 50 - 75% Canadian players/coaches & they totally dominate the sport.

At present 13 of 16 play-off spots are with US teams. We haven't seen a Stanley Cup in Canada for nearly 20 years.

A similar analogy could be expanding the County Championship in Cricket to Germany, filling the made up/franchise German teams with English players and then seeing utter domination by the German franchises forever.

I guess it's money.

• Options
    How come that us (adopted) Canadians, overwhelmingly the number one hockey loving nation on the planet are so consistently rubbish NHL wise - most teams in the US are made up of a good 50 - 75% Canadian players/coaches & they totally dominate the sport.

At present 13 of 16 play-off spots are with US teams. We haven't seen a Stanley Cup in Canada for nearly 20 years.

A similar analogy could be expanding the County Championship in Cricket to Germany, filling the made up/franchise German teams with English players and then seeing utter domination by the German franchises forever.

I guess it's money.

That's what always winds me up when we lose to Florida or LA! The locals will never have seen snow or ice in their life!
  • Options
    I'd been too embarrassed to post in this thread for ages! It's been so bad it's almost funny. Thank god Burke finally fired Wilson though, giving him a contract extension earlier in the season was absolutely scandalous! Hopefully Carlyle can sort it out and try and resuce some sort of run for the Play Offs. Beating Montreal Saturday night certainly is a good start but beating Boston on Wednesday would really get the belief back. Feels like forever since we got any change out of the Bruins.
    I take it you saw Malkin's goal a couple of weeks back (Can't remember who it was against)? Absolute joke! He destroyed a whole team single handedly. What a player.
    I saw a guy in the away end at Bournemouth wearing a Penguins jacket, that wasn't you by any chance was it? Surely we can't have two of you dodgy lot supporting the Addicks?! :o)
    Ha - no it wasn't me - I've only done two aways this year and was playing golf on Saturday. Malkin is a beast - like watching Lemieux 20 years ago. Absolute travesty that it looks increasingly like Sid will never be the player he can be again - the two of them in tandem are arguably the best 1-2 punch the league's had since the Oilers in the 80s. Letang's got another concussion as well, and Staal isn't the player he was after injuries. The Laffs, on the other hand, have simply fallen apart the last month. It's not just coaching - teams have figured out how to play them, Kessel is looking even fatter and lazier than usual and Lupul is in slumpsville. If they sneak into the playoffs it'll only be because the Sens or Jets collapse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I guess it's money.

That's what always winds me up when we lose to Florida or LA! The locals will never have seen snow or ice in their life!
    but Florida are hardly an American team http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Panthers#Current_roster

it's a funny old game as someone used to say
  • Options
    I think a lot of it is the lack of support from the second and third lines. Kuli has been useless this year, Grabbo has had the whole contract debacle hanging over his head and has only really played in fits and starts. Connelly is the biggest joke of a hockey player I've ever seen. There's simply no support for Kess and Lupes. Granted the last month the pair of them have been poor but the lack of support from the other lines has really told when those two inevitably lost form for a period. I really think we should have fought to get Carter in before the deadline, seeing him go to the Kings in a fairly cheap deal considering was a poor oversight. The only player to come out the last month with any credit is Gardiner, he's going to be some player, Phaneuf's lack of form has been equally worrying. Hopefully like I said Randy Carlyle can sort it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi fellahs, new to this thread, I have just spent some time in Windsor Ontario working with a local Regiment (The Essex and Kent Scottish), a real good bunch and hockey/Tim Hortons mad! I stayed with a Maple Leafs fan but the majority were Redwings given the proximity to Detroit, they gave me a shirt when I left so if you do see a Redwings Jersey at an addicks game, its me with little knowledge but have watched a fair bit recently whilst over there and subscribed to ESPN America now home so hope to watch a lot more. Also the IPAD NHL ad is very good for following games given the TV blackout

Carlyle to Toronto is a bit Powellesque according to a couple of fans in a sports bar I was talking to a 3-0 start for him too, any how I will follow the thread and try and chip as my knowledge grows I hope

And as I catch up on yesterdays game Redwings lose 2-1 to the Blackhawks nothing like starting off with a defeat
  • Options
    Leafs @ Pens tonight, can't see anything but a Pens win if I'm honest. No Lupul is a huge loss for the Leafs and we've got young Ben Scrivens between the sticks.

Watched Leafs Bruins last night and although 5-4 sounds quite close it was anything but, Boston were just better all over the ice from start to finish.

I can see the Leafs bombing the rest of the season now to try and get a decent draft pick.
  • Options
    No shame going down to the Bruins - reigning champs with a good chance of repeating. Pens can't keep their level of play up forever - looked shaky at times against the Coyotes, but Flower was outstanding in goal. Still think the Laffs will get beaten though.

Altogether now: "Came to see the statue... you only came to see the statue..." :o)

Oh, and Sid being cleared for contact is fantastic (if a little unexpected) news.
  • Options
    Well fair play, I'm seeing slight improvement in the Leafs play but the old habits (the second Pens goal last night) clearly die hard. I'll take the small improvements though, best write this season off now and just start again next year.

Oh and nice hunk of brass outside the stadium :-)

Every time they zoomed in on Crosby last night he semed to be doing neck stretching exorcises! Quite surprised he was cleared for contact but they expect him back for the weekend. Be good to see him back. You get him fit and firing in the next 15/16 games you'll have a good chance in the PS.
  • Options
    Well fair play, I'm seeing slight improvement in the Leafs play but the old habits (the second Pens goal last night) clearly die hard. I'll take the small improvements though, best write this season off now and just start again next year.

Oh and nice hunk of brass outside the stadium :-)

Every time they zoomed in on Crosby last night he semed to be doing neck stretching exorcises! Quite surprised he was cleared for contact but they expect him back for the weekend. Be good to see him back. You get him fit and firing in the next 15/16 games you'll have a good chance in the PS.
    That's not quite true - he said the earliest he will be back is Sunday but he hasn't put a timeframe on it yet. Media have just jumped all over that and started chucking out "SID BACK ON SUNDAY!" stories. I just want him to be healthy - I hope he isn't rushing himself back because I think one more concussion ('soft tissue injury in his neck' me ballacks) and he'll go the way of Lindros, Kariya and Savard.

No team should ever throw a 2-0 lead away, but I think, in your defence, you were shocked to be 2-0 up!
  • Options
    We've thrown away far worse than that this year!
  • Options
    nearly 50,000 watched Toronto FC play LA Galaxy last night in Champions League game last night - if Toronto FC ever do well at MLS level the city will go crazy, credit to them - they like their football....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/03/07/sp-concacaf-tfc-galaxy.html
  • Options
    Yeah saw that Oakster, the new stadium is pretty nice just out of town, only holds 20,000 though I think but that's sold out every game by all accounts. A few of the season ticket holders I met said they love giving Becks pelters when he comes to town! Would love to see a football game at the Rogers Centre though, bet the attmosphere was electric last night, it never really got going for the Baseball or the Canadian Football game I saw there.