Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slater's Programme Notes from Saturday.

WSSWSS
edited September 2011 in General Charlton
"Given recent results, and the fact that we are still unbeaten in the league, you may consider it a little strange for me to again be calling for patience. However, I have noticed in recent home games that sometimes our passing game hasn't been truly appreciated in all corners of the ground, and that some fans clearly felt that getting the ball forward very quickly was a better tactic.

"Chris Powell is determined to produce a team that passes the ball well and retains possession. That's why he's here. He's developing players who know that if they stick to these basic principles, space will open up and opportunities will arise for a shot, or the killer pass of which our players are capable.

"Such opportunities may occur in the fifth minute or the 85th minute, but the prospects of creating an opportunity in the 85th minute will be greatly reduced if the players break their patient build-up play and resort to long-ball tactics.

"We have 11 players on the pitch, and every one of them - Ben Hamer included - understands the importance of passing the ball out of defence.

"It's important that the players' confidence is lifted by the support of the fans throughout the whole match rather than feeling burdened. All players make mistakes, but that's when we need to get behind them, because a player won't produce his best form if he senses that the crowd is on his back.

"Other clubs send scouts to our home games to provide analysis for their managers. If I had been a scout at our last home league match, against Exeter City, I think my report would have contained the words 'frustrate them early on, force them to pass it around their back four, and their fans will get on the players' backs very quickly'.

"Let's not play into the hands of our opponents by forgetting that patience brings rewards. Our team must play to its strengths, and not in a style our opponents would prefer.

"I know football is a game of opinions, and I don't claim to have a monopoly on tactical analysis, but there cannot be anyone in our crowd who hasn't noticed the improvement brought about by Chris and his management team.

Comments

• edited September 2011

So that is now the chairman and the manager who have said, in the space of a week, that the crowd getting on the players’ backs, either by specifically targeting individuals or the team collectively, is a hindrance and harms our chances of winning. Forgetting all the tedious threads that have already covered this matter several times over, I don’t see how anyone can now provide any justification for booing their own team.

• edited September 2011

• Dead right. 
  • Shame that the people that do it probably can't read.
  • It's pure common sense but it's amazing how little of that there is in some people.
  • So that is now the chairman and the manager who have said, in the space of a week, that the crowd getting on the players’ backs, either by specifically targeting individuals or the team collectively, is a hindrance and harms our chances of winning. Forgetting all the tedious threads that have already covered this matter several times over, I don’t see how anyone can now provide any justification for booing their own team.

Absolutely spot on, MrL.
  • Slater is great.
  • Slater always delivers a great interview ... and talks a lot of sense.
  • good on him, He should be called Mr common sense 
  • Do do do do, Michael Slater!

Ohhh Tony, Tony! Tony, Tony, Tony, Tony Jimenez!
  • Sponsored links:

• He likes a bit of bold type, doesn't he!
  • edited September 2011
    Wonder how the fickle fans would react if we were in the bottom 3
  • I'm not so keen on Tony, his daughter gave me the cold shoulder when we were 15 haha
  • edited September 2011
    Well said a.c slater

Unfortunatly I don't think the bell chedders doing it will take much notice so if we hear the negativity we have to outvoice the fumb ducks
  • i like his bold type ,i like him and i like scp and i like it all alot at the moment

• Read his page on Saturday and thought he was absolutely spot on. 

Brighton came to The Valley last year and passed us to death.  A large percentage of the time playing it around the back 5 (inc the keeper) and seemingly not hurting us.  We all know the final score and I am delighted we now have a team who are capable and comfortable to play this way and who have the professionalism to bide their time, look for the openings and exploit them!  This, coupled with the energy we seem to have in closing down the opposition when they have the ball will make this a season to enjoy.  Well, all than AND promotion as champions!! 

• I totally agree with Slater it's just a shame that nobody has spoken to Hamer despite mr slater claiming that all players are aware of the way chris powell is trying to get us playing. I lost count of the amount of times Hamer just booted the ball upfield to absolutely noone & occasionally to the opposition goalkeeper, sorry if you don't like it but it's the truth  
  • The problem is we need even more patience from the fans at home rather than away as opposing teams will come here looking to frustrate us, get us on the backs of our players before trying to break against us on the counter attack. By playing a patient passing style and not pressing them when they have 11 men in their area, They will slowly start to naturally push more forward, thus creating space for us to get behind them with a pacey attack.

All we need is to get that 1st goal, leaving them no option to come at us and play into Powells hands.

If our first goal doesn't come until the 88th minute then so be it.
  • we've had a few years of decline and more if you date back to the sale of Scott Parker... Point is that it is only now that the board can talk with authority about this issue because they have delivered new management and squad together with top of the table
    It will take time for this to sink in but the footy on the pitch can only help... IF we go up it's going to be far more important next season that we are all 100% behind the team as we look for a second promotion
  • We have had some great chairmen, all of whom knew/know how to get the message across.

Roger Alwen got the club moving (and home), Richard Murray got us up, and now Michael Slater will get us back where we belong.

• Sponsored links:

• Spot on from Slater....the only time you should ever consider booing your own team is if Marcus Bent or Amdy Faye are part of it and that was years ago. 

Playing well or not (and so far we have played well every game), these players are mainly young and every single one gives 100% out there for us so absolutely no arguments or excuses for booing etc (not that I have really heard any).

Plus in defense of Hamer (above post), there are few times he just boots it clear without first having a look to see if a throw out is a better bet. no point in chucking it to a defender if there is not one free and he clearly has not got the huge throw that blessed Elliot.

• edited September 2011

Plus in defense of Hamer (above post), there are few times he just boots it clear without first having a look to see if a throw out is a better bet. no point in chucking it to a defender if there is not one free and he clearly has not got the huge throw that blessed Elliot.

Well I'm not suggesting that he throws it out to someone that is marked but he needs to control his kicking a little better because saturday quite a few balls went straight through to Chesterfields goalie & quite a few others were aimlessly kicked to no one . Obviously the outfield players need to make space or go back to pick up a short throw. This isn't a boo boy rant just an observation but if we're looking to build from the back a little more thought needs to go into it.
  • Michael Slater not only talks the talk, but he is trying his darndest to try and walk the walk, I have not been this excited about supporting Charlton for years, we need to keep the momentum going, sure there will be hiccups, but I genuinely believe we have and will continue to back the boys, vocally as well as financially.

I want the Valley to be rocking with noise, creating an atmosphere which lifts and encourages the team, and makes it a place that opposition teams hate because they know there going to be beat.

The point about Hamer, I think he will come good given time, it's important to remember he didn't join us for preseason , so hasn't had the same opportunity to blend and settle in as the others have, looks like a player who needs to know the crowd are right behind him.
  • I totally agree with Slater it's just a shame that nobody has spoken to Hamer despite mr slater claiming that all players are aware of the way chris powell is trying to get us playing. I lost count of the amount of times Hamer just booted the ball upfield to absolutely noone & occasionally to the opposition goalkeeper, sorry if you don't like it but it's the truth  
    The Hayes goal came from a big boot by Hamer.
  • Cheers for putting this up WSS.
  • I remember reading last season that despite being top of the league, some Brighton fans were urgeing their team to get forward more quickly, and Poyet was calling for patience.

Well done to Slater for having the balls to say this as he's risking being seen as critical of the fans.
  • Well said Mr Slater.  Patience is something we can't afford not to have this season.

I seem to remember saying something very similar after the Rochdale game a couple of weeks back...  Great minds think alike, I suppose!
  • I remember reading last season that despite being top of the league, some Brighton fans were urgeing their team to get forward more quickly, and Poyet was calling for patience.

Well done to Slater for having the balls to say this as he's risking being seen as critical of the fans.
    Spot on JM. Patience is absolutely what is required. Most of us on here know this. 

My personal view is that you will not eradicate it completely because the wounds of watching a team who have under-performed in recent seasons are still not healed and when things are not happening quickly enough some can't hide their feelings.

We have a squad of real winners who are making us very hard to beat and gradually that will start to rub off on even the most difficult to please. 

• Well said Mr Slater.

Booing brings no positive to the team.