Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rise of the planet of the apes

Comments

• Options
    Going to see it next week got 2 weeks off so will wait for a rainy day when i cant hit the beach
  • Options
    I saw a really elaborate marketing campaign for this earlier this week in Ealing, Clapham and Tottenham....

?

Besides the racist overtones I think you'll find that our Simian relatives are generally a bit better behaved.

But why watch the re-makes, the originals were much better. With all that money to play with you'd have thought that Hollywood could think up something new rather than re-hashing ideas.

It's not a re-make (the awful Tim Burton effort was), this is a prequel.

On a side note the cover of the original surely contains the biggest spoiler in film history (a picture of crazy Charlton staring at the statue of liberty)

• Options
    It's being marketed as a prequel, but Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (the fourth film in the original franchise) was also a prequel.
  • Options
    Watched it last night.

Great film and great effects.

Think there will be a couple more Planet of the Apes films following this one.
  • Options
    Just watched it online, great film.
  • Options
    It's being marketed as a prequel, but Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (the fourth film in the original franchise) was also a prequel.
    Absolutely. I was wondering where this fits in. Basically, it's an alternative new version to 'Conquest' with a new name. I think they mean that it's a prequel to the new 'Planet of The Apes' as opposed to the old one. Get it?
  • Options
    Just watched it online, great film.
    Which site?
  • Options
    the original is fantastic, one of the best endings to a film ever. the second i really enjoyed too although the worshipping of the bomb business is pretty bonkers.

after that i lost interest.....
  • Options
    Just got back from Front Line Bromley where I defied the Rioters to watch this film.

Lot of old tosh but fast moving and the Apes are very well done.   Leaves the door open for the next prequel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    went to see it a few days ago, pretty good film :) did you know Andy Serkis is the ape Cesar (he plays Gollum in the LoTR too)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Tintin in cinema
  • Options
    Absolutely. I was wondering where this fits in. Basically, it's an alternative new version to 'Conquest' with a new name. I think they mean that it's a prequel to the new 'Planet of The Apes' as opposed to the old one. Get it?
    Oh, I see. I've got you, mate. I thought it might chronicle the events that led up to Conquest. But I suppose we have to pretend that film doesn't exist to make sense of this 'prequel'.
  • Options
    Just got home from cinema. Must say i enjoyed it. Pretty much as expected. I left my brain at home as i knew it wouldn't be needed. Definately left the story open for follow ups.
  • Options
    I've seen the trailer for Rise of..., so I don't think I need to see the film, the whole plotline is lain out.

As for the original Planet of the Apes - I didn't understand why the ending was a twist when I saw it.  They crashed onto a planet in the location of Earth, which had the same terrain as Earth, and which had humans living on it - where the HELL did they think they were?!
  • Options
    Just got home from cinema. Must say i enjoyed it. Pretty much as expected. I left my brain at home as i knew it wouldn't be needed. Definately left the story open for follow ups.
    I wish i had left my brain at home. Film seemed to go on forever and then end very quickly
  • Options
    Seen it today great film

Just ordered the old ones as i have not seen them in years

The Hut 7.85 for 6 disc set well worth it
  • Options
    Saw it tonight.
    Pretty good - you have to forgive some silliness such as James Franco looking exactly the same throughout despite the plot moving on EIGHT YEARS, or his apparently intelligent girlfriend of five years being shocked to find that Caesar's intelligence is due to experiments at Franco's work (seriously, what did she think caused it?) - but if you are willing to suspend your disbelief, it's pretty well done. The only other criticism I'd have is regarding the human angle - the characters and performances are maybe a little disappointing. In contrast, the ape stuff is very impressive. Andy Serkis is, as always, excellent as Caesar. Also, good to see Peppa Pig's dad playing a gorilla. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I've seen the trailer for Rise of..., so I don't think I need to see the film, the whole plotline is lain out.

As for the original Planet of the Apes - I didn't understand why the ending was a twist when I saw it.  They crashed onto a planet in the location of Earth, which had the same terrain as Earth, and which had humans living on it - where the HELL did they think they were?!
    They had been travelling at the speed of light for 2000 years. It's pretty safe to assume they believed they were 2000 light years away. Just because the planet they crash-landed on had Earth-like terrain (and it wasn't ALL Earth-like - the area they immediately encountered was uninhabitable, with no potential for sustaining life and there's even some dialogue to that effect in the film) and had humanoid inhabitants (who were little more than caveman-like savages) was no reason for them to suspect that they'd hit some sort of time-warp in their mission and, in effect, been slingshotted back to Earth.

After all, if you land on a planet run by apes, where the closest looking species to you is completely reversed in dominance, being subservient to a supposedly 'lesser' primate, after you believe you're 2000 light years away, with no immediate reference to Earth other than a superficial resemblance, it's no stretch to believe that evolution progressed differently on that planet.

As for not bothering to see 'Rise' - I'm not sure there are any people left on Earth who can't figure out what 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' is about from a: the films that have gone before, and b: the title. Just because you know what happens in a film doesn't mean it;s not worth watching! I've read Lord Of The Rings about 50 times. The films are still awesome.

Are you the sort of bloke who sits in the cinema saying "that bald geezer's dead" in the opening reel of the Sixth Sense?

:o)
  • Options
    Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes at The Stag in Sevenoaks.

Really enjoyed it. Well worth a look, and for anyone in the area - The Stag is a fair bit cheaper than other cinemas and they don't rip you off with refreshments. You just have to make sure you get there on time, since they play a lot less trailers/adverts before the films start. They also have 2 for 1 on Tuesdays so I'm told.
  • Options
    Took my nieces to watch it at Chatham Odeon.Definitely a prequel.Prefer the original but definitely not bored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They had been travelling at the speed of light for 2000 years. It's pretty safe to assume they believed they were 2000 light years away. Just because the planet they crash-landed on had Earth-like terrain (and it wasn't ALL Earth-like - the area they immediately encountered was uninhabitable, with no potential for sustaining life and there's even some dialogue to that effect in the film) and had humanoid inhabitants (who were little more than caveman-like savages) was no reason for them to suspect that they'd hit some sort of time-warp in their mission and, in effect, been slingshotted back to Earth.

After all, if you land on a planet run by apes, where the closest looking species to you is completely reversed in dominance, being subservient to a supposedly 'lesser' primate, after you believe you're 2000 light years away, with no immediate reference to Earth other than a superficial resemblance, it's no stretch to believe that evolution progressed differently on that planet.

As for not bothering to see 'Rise' - I'm not sure there are any people left on Earth who can't figure out what 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' is about from a: the films that have gone before, and b: the title. Just because you know what happens in a film doesn't mean it;s not worth watching! I've read Lord Of The Rings about 50 times. The films are still awesome.

Are you the sort of bloke who sits in the cinema saying "that bald geezer's dead" in the opening reel of the Sixth Sense?

Blimey a bit deep its only a bloody film

• Options
    Not really. 'Deep' would have been a philosophical musing on the nature of mankind, a moral discussion about our willingness to destroy ourselves in petty squabbling or a biological discourse about the inevitability of a single species rising to dominate all others in an ecosystem.

In fact, explaining the film from a merely events-observed point of view is probably the opposite of 'deep' as it requires you to ignore the human aspects (emotions, feelings etc) of the story.
  • Options
    i went to see horrible bosses last night. jeniffer aniston talking absolute filth in it. its great.
  • Options

- fair enough; I was probably not concentrating at the beginning, I had assumed they were trying/expecting to land back on Earth.  But I am still surprised it didn't cross his mind; he knew that he was centuries in the future, and with that in mind, the planet he landed on was very similar to Earth, even with the animals being different (but considering just how different a life-form could be on another planet, these were incredibly similar).  But I guess it's also about context - the film was made at a time when 'the future' meant wearing silver and flying about in little cars, with robot butlers - so I suppose the 'planet of the apes' would look very different to what he would expect to see of Earth in the future.

As for Rise of..., I meant more that all of the poignant moments appeared to be in the advert, and I imagine the film would lose a lot of impact because of it.  I'm not saying that I won't see a film unless I know absolutely nothing about it - I've enjoyed watching films like Memento and The Machinist more than once!  It's more akin to not wanting to watch a comedy after you've seen all the jokes on the adverts - there must be somebody who agrees with me about that?
  • Options
    I'm still upset at Leroys spoiler for Sixth Sense. :-(
  • Options
    Not really. 'Deep' would have been a philosophical musing on the nature of mankind, a moral discussion about our willingness to destroy ourselves in petty squabbling or a biological discourse about the inevitability of a single species rising to dominate all others in an ecosystem.

In fact, explaining the film from a merely events-observed point of view is probably the opposite of 'deep' as it requires you to ignore the human aspects (emotions, feelings etc) of the story.
    Or it might lead to a discussion about how we might treat animals better if they could talk.
  • Options

Or it might lead to a discussion about how we might treat animals better if they could talk.
    Hopefully not.
  • Options
    Worth a watch but nit boring and drawn out
  • Options
    Worth a watch but nit boring and drawn out
    Not enough monkey business for your liking then Matt?
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it and gives a sound enough backdrop to build upon. 2nd one (spoiler alert) will centre around virus spread for humanity and the apes taking control no doubt, before the 3rd comes full circle to that rocket on a mars mission coming back to Earth only to witness humanity's annihilation. This is another one of those reboots, so a funny way to work around it, but a full raging ape vs man global war in the next would do me nicely, if even we know who comes worse off.