Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Iain Dowie

Comments

• Yeah, think you are right there. His CV was very ordinary when he came to us and that should have rung alarm bells but we just ploughed on ahead. I think he might be a "personality" manager who needs to get a bunch of youngsters together and have them as "his" team, but that just cant be done in the Premiership!!!
    Must admit that Coppell is doing fantastic things at Reading although I am sure they will suffer as we have with the bigger boys coming in to relieve them of Doyle, Sidwell and Convey!!!!
  • I heard at Man U on Saturday from someone whose son is at The Academy that Dowie chinned J F Moneybank.This was a new one to me,(obviously heard loads of other rumours/truths.
  • Looks like he's getting the Coventry job.
  • edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Looks like he's getting the Coventry job.

According to John Gaunt on Talksport who is a sky blue and knows people within the club, its by no means certain that they will be going for him.
  • bit of luck he'll sign Amady Faye
  • and Pouso and Hasselbaink and Diawara for what we paid for him.
  • Thought pouso was gone?
  • Nah, he's here till the end of the season, getting paid a fecking fortune every week for no reason whatsoever.
  • no, i think its been cut short, i'm led to believe.
  • Thats wat i thought. Was sure i didnt dream this one. dunno where i got this from? maybe ketman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone got the Chelsea programme to hand? Is he in the squad list on the back cover still?
  • The BBC suggest that Leicester will appoint Dowie when Mandaric takes over the club.
  • IMO Dowie was all about management speak but actually backed that up with very little actual ability.

For that reason I can understand why interviewers would be impressed with him, particularily in light of the fact that we were looking for fresh ideas.
  • yeah spot on Dan, have to agree.
  • Dowie was overrated as a manager. He did OK at Palace because of one player - AJ who bailed them out time after time. His signings have been appalling except for Reid who is injured 90% of the time ( tho' sometimes Faye has a good game). Diawara, Pouso and Traore are not Prem standard. After his tenure here he has struggled to find work but it looks like he will get something at a standard he belongs at - the fizzy pop league. He will go to Leicester as I believe MM likes him and tried to get him at Pompey but the Tango one wouldn't let him talk to them.
  • edited February 2007
    Coventry City will unveil Iain Dowie as their new manager early next week, BBC Sport understands.

Dowie will take over from caretaker boss Adrian Heath, who was installed in the role following Mickey Adams' dismissal on 17 January.

Former Crystal Palace and Oldham boss Dowie has been out of football since leaving Charlton last November.

Dowie turned down the recent vacancy at Hull and was strongly tipped to follow new owner Milan Mandaric to Leicester.
  • A lot of people have mentioned Dowie's passion and acknowledgement of the fans. However that's about all he had going for him. His tactical and talent spotting abilities are nil. He will serve a club in the lower leagues quite well but can't mix it in the prem.
  • Just got home from doing another crepe night tonight at the chateau, me and the Mrs got talking to a very nice lady about cabages and kings etc, when all of a sudden, she called her husband over to say hello it was our Iain and I gota say he ain't a bad fella
  • Go & wash your bloody mouth out............
  • brogib said:

Just got home from doing another crepe night tonight at the chateau, me and the Mrs got talking to a very nice lady about cabages and kings etc, when all of a sudden, she called her husband over to say hello it was our Iain and I gota say he ain't a bad fella

Really?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2015
    Sorry over stepped the mark
  • Never thought he was a bad bloke just utterly incompetent. Did you let him know you were a cafc fan?
  • edited September 2015
    He's married? Really.
  • Never thought he was a bad bloke just utterly incompetent. Did you let him know you were a cafc fan?

Literally said hello and his taxi pulled up. Then got stuck talking to the father of the bride who is on the board at Bury
  • edited September 2015
    Having a bad spell as Charlton manager doesn't make him a bad person. You can tell he's a nice bloke.

Pardew however you can tell he's not a nice guy.
  • Personally I don't hold too much against Dowie. He probably really is quite a personable chap, but the record shows he is not a very good manager.

I think it's important to remember that ok, he bullshitted his way into the Charlton job, but his appointment, which to me smacked of desperation at the time, was not RIchard Murray's finest hour either.

The ensuing events understandably made him a tad unpopular with all of us ;-) but I think it's fair to say that the whole Charlton / Dowie episode was doomed from the outset.
  • tom- k said:

brogib said:

Never thought he was a bad bloke just utterly incompetent. Did you let him know you were a cafc fan?

Literally said hello and his taxi pulled up. Then got stuck talking to the father of the bride who is on the board at Bury
    You say he's a good bloke and base this on him saying one word?

Well he shook me hand and werent pissed up and gobbing off like 99% of the rest of the guests put it that way
  • ...I spose those on here knocking him would've chined him