Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Iain Dowie

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
New manager of Coventry????

Comments

• I heard he was on his way to the interview but got lost,fcuk him the ugly,2 bob,palarse tosser.
  • i heard he sent his brother instead
  • Did he jog there or get a cab?
  • There are a few motorways in the Coventry area.
  • Well, I suppose he is getting closer and closer to Lancashire. Maybe he is waiting for Fergie to retire and he can take on the Man Utd job!
  • Apparently they're after Paul Ince

Which'd open up a nice job at the foot of League Two for Mr Dowie.
  • Ha! Yes, Macclesfield should be nice and convenient for him to pick his kids up from school as well!!!
  • And if they did drop, they could go part-time to allow him to catch up on some quality time with his family. Job's a good'un!
  • Who cares!Move on!
  • Give the bloke a break. He tried his best for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair enough Dave, I don't disagree with you there but I think its fair to have a crack at his refusal to leave Lancashire, don't you? I was never happy about that from the start and I felt that it should have precluded him from being given the job in the first place.
  • He never refused,he bought a house down here,just never moved his wife and kids down as they were settled at school.I think whatever his mistakes may have been he was a genuine bloke who gave his all to make it work at Charlton (maybe too much).I have a feeling he will still make a very successful career as a Manager.
  • i agree Steve, but it does already feel like he was never really here, doesn't it ?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i agree Steve, but it does already feel like he was never really here, doesn't it ?

Well, now that Djimi has fugged off I spose you're right to an extent. However, if I was in charge of the CAFC bank account I think I'd probably still be feeling his presence very keenly.
  • Yer I just feel uneasy with all the hatred of him,cause I don't think he was that bad a bloke.But Pards has definitely got the place buzzing again.
  • Chirpy - I know you felt the decison was wrong at the time to sack Dowie, but do you now feel that with Pards coming in things have worked out for the best?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Chirpy - I know you felt the decison was wrong at the time to sack Dowie, but do you now feel that with Pards coming in things have worked out for the best?[/quote]

Pardew would have been my choice over Dowie after Curbs left, but he wasn't available and most likely would have turned Charlton down even if he was offered the job.

Dowie worked hard, he did his best and it's easy to criticise him for wanting to keep his family in the north-west but that was something that was discussed at the interview (I presume) and was an on-going situation with Crystal Palace, so if anything it's the club's fault for employing him on that basis, not Dowie's.

Good luck to him.
  • whatever the good or the bad about dowie's reign, my lasting memory of him is how much passion and pleasure he showed at the final whistle after the victory against man city , he was as pleased as anyone in the ground that day
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Chirpy - I know you felt the decison was wrong at the time to sack Dowie, but do you now feel that with Pards coming in things have worked out for the best?

Oh absolutely right. I called for Pards last year before Dowie was appointed. I knew it wasn't going to happen at the time but he was always my first choice. I love the bloke.
  • It all kicks off again today.

Jordan v Dowie
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]He never refused,he bought a house down here,just never moved his wife and kids down as they were settled at school.
    ...and it allowed for some "extra-curricular activities" allegedly!
  • Those who thought Dowie wasn't a success this season at Charlton are very much mistaken.

His niece has scored 16 times for the ladies team....
  • Northstandsteve: He never refused,he bought a house down here,just never moved his wife and kids down as they were settled at school.I think whatever his mistakes may have been he was a genuine bloke who gave his all to make it work at Charlton (maybe too much).I have a feeling he will still make a very successful career as a Manager.

------

Er, that's not right at all. He did not buy a house in London, the club rented a flat for him which is a big difference. You are right that he did not move his wife and kids from Manchester, because he did not want to take his sons out of their school until they had finished there which was going to be another three years away.
    In the corporate world, nobody would really want to hire someone who was not going to relocate their family fully to their town of work precisely because the company would be nervous that the executive would spend too much time and energy travelling to see their family and that the tenure could be shortened because of this factor.
    IMO, Charlton should NEVER have appointed him in the first place because of this factor plus the fact that he HAD told Orangeman that he wanted to be closer to his family.
    He seems like a great bloke, although the jury is still out on him as a manager (Pouso, anyone?) but we were wrong to offer him the job in those circumstances and have paid the price.
  • Ormiston Addick you seem very confrontational all the time chill man chill
  • northstandsteve: Sorry, mate, must have been over in Oz too long and taken too many testoterone pills!

Wasn't being narky regarding Dowie, just that I knew in my bones that it would all end in tears as soon as he said he was not relocating his family to London, it just did not seem right to me and so it proved. For my money, we should never have given him the job on that basis alone but I think we panicked because he was the last option available and....well, we all know the rest.
  • can you really put it all down to that though? (he said calmly and in a non-confrontational manner)
  • i think you've called it pretty accurately Ormiston.
  • thats better now we can talk nicely
  • Razil: I really do think that you can. I think that we all sometimes forget that there are human beings involved in football subject to the same pressures and feelings that the rest of us are. For that reason I think that it was naive for our board to think that Dowie could manage the club yet have his family, whom he is obviously devoted to (I am not taking the piss there), 200 miles away. Let's face facts, he did that for two and a bit seasons at Palace and then wanted out so why did we not take heed of that?

Of course, in his short time at the club, missing his family would not have been a huge issue but it was symptomatic of the larger problem in that he was not fully committed to the cause long-term, even if he really thought that he was.
  • I take your point, but what direct impact did that have? Personally I feel he just isn't quite a good enough manager, and the Prem with a club like ours or Palace was beyond him unlike Pards, Coppell etc who seem to know what they're about