Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chess.com

Comments

• Talal said:

I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

Out of interest, those who whooped my arse in the last tournament and who look like whooping my arse again, you know who you are, heartless b'stards;)
    Have you been playing regularly for a long time and have you read / studied the game?

Only you all seem to have clear strategies, against my, let's move it here and see what happens:(

Are you making full use of the Analysis button to play out possible scenarios two or three moves ahead?
    What analysis button?
    On the iPad app it appears as a mini chess board with a spy glass.
    Ah, I don't have the app, I'll get it.

So you've been cheating, that's why you keep thrashing me;)
    You don't need the app, it's there just noticed it.
    No wonder my brain's been hurting been doing it all in my head. Though to be honest that's really how it should be done, would rather it didn't have this option.
    It is why the ratings on Chess.com cannot be compared with real chess ratings gained in proper timed face to face matches. I have never really played chess on real chess boards with clocks. The analysis button is excellent training device. And if you are really keen, after each match, you can get the computer to analyse every move suggesting better moves and pointing out mistakes and blunders.
    I think the computer might explode, analysing all my blunders.

So that's one of the advantages of upgrading?
    Don't think you need to upgrade to get access to the analysis button or the post match analysis feature.
    I think you do for analysis but not post analysis.
    I don't pay, the analysis button is there both during and after.
    As Red says it doesn't give you any hints or help during a game, just let's you move pieces on the board.
    Oh and I managed to beat AA, he is human after all :smile:
  • I don't use the analysis button but no problem with anyone who finds it helps them.
    I played club chess for many years and am really enjoying our tournaments, I think chess is a great game
  • Talal said:

Winchesster Rifle is back, so the very first group may finish this year after all.

I retract this comment, Winchesster Rifle appears to be on vacation... again.
    Don't really see the point of time limits if you can just pause repeatedly but hey ho.
  • I have clicked on the analysis button and it just shows you the moves that have taken place. There is not an option there to look at moves that have not happened yet?

This must be for paid members, I am a paid member on Gameknot and you have an option to analyse a game, but this is not available to free members so it looks like it is the same.
  • As I said I'm not a paid member but I can do it. After you press the analysis button you can then play out any possible scenarios.
  • Talal said:

Talal said:

Winchesster Rifle is back, so the very first group may finish this year after all.

I retract this comment, Winchesster Rifle appears to be on vacation... again.
    Don't really see the point of time limits if you can just pause repeatedly but hey ho.
    Are you saying you would like him fired?
  • Talal said:

As I said I'm not a paid member but I can do it. After you press the analysis button you can then play out any possible scenarios.

I apologies I can see that however Leroy seems concerned that the computer made suggestions for players. This is not the case, you can move your opponents pieces yourself to assess scenarios but the computer has no input.
  • Talal and I now playing a truly insane attacking game
  • A quick thanks to all of you who've thumped me on chess.com.
    Which is all of you.

Not having played for years it has been slow to come back, and I can see a good number of you are far better than I ever was. But I've enjoyed getting trounced, and have set myself the aim of losing more slowly by cutting out catastrophic errors. Cheers all.
  • Jints69 on chess.com if anyone wants a game
  • Sponsored links:

• I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

Out of interest, those who whooped my arse in the last tournament and who look like whooping my arse again, you know who you are, heartless b'stards;)
    Have you been playing regularly for a long time and have you read / studied the game?

Only you all seem to have clear strategies, against my, let's move it here and see what happens:(

I learned the moves at seven, got really interested after the Fischer-Spasskii match in '72 and have for Charlton, Lewisham, Streatham and Dulwich chess clubs since then with a break between '91 and 2011. I used to study openings a lot, I have studied middle and endgames anything like enough.
  • I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

Are you making full use of the Analysis button to play out possible scenarios two or three moves ahead?
    What analysis button?

Strictly speaking, it is cheating as the laws say you aren't allowed to analyse on another board but I don't think any of us has a problem with it's use, do we?
  • Talal said:

Talal said:

I can only assume staring at a chess board for more than 5 minutes induces some form of insanity in me and is the only explanation for the constant gaffs, I keep making.

What analysis button?

You don't need the app, it's there just noticed it.
    No wonder my brain's been hurting been doing it all in my head. Though to be honest that's really how it should be done, would rather it didn't have this option.
    It is why the ratings on Chess.com cannot be compared with real chess ratings gained in proper timed face to face matches. I have never really played chess on real chess boards with clocks. The analysis button is excellent training device. And if you are really keen, after each match, you can get the computer to analyse every move suggesting better moves and pointing out mistakes and blunders.
    I think the computer might explode, analysing all my blunders.

So that's one of the advantages of upgrading?
    Don't think you need to upgrade to get access to the analysis button or the post match analysis feature.
    I think you do for analysis but not post analysis.
    I don't pay, the analysis button is there both during and after.
    As Red says it doesn't give you any hints or help during a game, just let's you move pieces on the board.
    Oh and I managed to beat AA, he is human after all :smile:
    Well played. Re your earlier comment about you thought you mucked it up, I think it was always winning once you'd fixed the d pawn and the bishop supporting it. I probably should have given up the pawn a lot earlier and tried to get some counterplay when I still had some pieces on the board.
  • I have clicked on the analysis button and it just shows you the moves that have taken place. There is not an option there to look at moves that have not happened yet?

This must be for paid members, I am a paid member on Gameknot and you have an option to analyse a game, but this is not available to free members so it looks like it is the same.

It allows you to play through possible moves yourself, not with assistance from the computer. You should see the board change to a paler version of itself, you can play both sides and reset to the initial position with the circle/arrow button.

It allows you to play through possible moves yourself, not with assistance from the computer. You should see the board change to a paler version of itself, you can play both sides and reset to the initial position with the circle/arrow button.
    Thanks AA, I haven't been using that function but it may save me a blunder or two going forward.

• IdleHans said:

A quick thanks to all of you who've thumped me on chess.com.
    Which is all of you.

Not having played for years it has been slow to come back, and I can see a good number of you are far better than I ever was. But I've enjoyed getting trounced, and have set myself the aim of losing more slowly by cutting out catastrophic errors. Cheers all.

Fair play to you for taking it all in good spirits :smile:
  • Normal service resumed with AA, battered me this time! Well played.
  • Talal said:

Normal service resumed with AA, battered me this time! Well played.

Thanks. c5 was the cause of your problems, leaving the hole on d5 and backward d6 pawn. Once you've swapped off on d4 you just have to be patient but it's not a position I'd be comfortable in.
  • Bloody hell, how do you find the time to play a game that quick? With nine on the go at once, I'm lucky if I can play two moves a day...
  • It didn't take AA very long to be fair!
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

Thanks. c5 was the cause of your problems, leaving the hole on d5 and backward d6 pawn. Once you've swapped off on d4 you just have to be patient but it's not a position I'd be comfortable in.
    When I read gogglely gook like this I realise I will always be a novice at this game!
  • This game against Charente is my Sistine Chapel. I'm not beating it in this decade. Might still mess it up even, but what a trip. What a story ;)
  • Talal said:

When I read gogglely gook like this I realise I will always be a novice at this game!
    Perhaps you could try being a novice when you play me, that would be nice;)
  • Nice trap, Talal:(
  • edited September 2017
    That Bishop of yours Red, is a bit of a Devil:(
  • Well played Talal, your chess seems to be getting better as these tournaments progress
  • Well played Talal, your chess seems to be getting better as these tournaments progress

Cheers mate. Was another close game though before that king move. Nearly missed it as well, was concentrating on the bishop.
  • Nice trap, Talal:(

Cheers.
  • Fuck me, I've only won a bloody game!

Apologies for crowing, the_real_idle but having been soundly thrashed for the last umpteen games by the rest of this lot and likely to be thrashed by them again, I've got to make the most of my moment of glory.

No doubt you'll thrash me in the next game.
  • Fuck me, I've only won a bloody game!

Apologies for crowing, the_real_idle but having been soundly thrashed for the last umpteen games by the rest of this lot and likely to be thrashed by them again, I've got to make the most of my moment of glory.

No doubt you'll thrash me in the next game.

Plenty of doubt, my friend. I'm glad my Palace impression has brought you joy.