Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British & Irish Folk Music

Recently I've been getting more and more into Folk Music, guess I'm just getting old and mellowing out!

Anyway, although I like the stuff I'm not really aware of that many artists (I know there are loads, I just don't know who they are). I've been listening to Mumford and Sons, Beth Orton and Laura Marling as well as Flogging Molly (not exactly orthadox folk) for a little while and I've recently discovered the angelic warblings of Kate Rusby. Any Lifers recommend any other acts I should check out, particularly UK and Irish groups/artsist?

Comments

• edited July 2011

Saw Richard Thompson last week at the Orchard,superb. Other acts to look out for: The Unthanks,Bellowhead,Show of Hands,Karine Polwart.The list goes on.Went to the Cambridge Folk festival last year,it is well worth a visit.

• Villagers album's very good.
  • Possibly not quite folk but I really like The Leisure Society
  • Ed Sheeran up and coming singer/songwriter
  • Saw Richard Thompson last week at the Orchard,superb. Other acts to look out for: The Unthanks,Bellowhead,Show of Hands,Karine Polwart.The list goes on.Went to the Cambridge Folk festival last year,it is well worth a visit.

Didn't spot you there! It wasn't you with the fire alarm was it?!
  • Bombay Bicycle Club - Flaws, Horse Feathers - Thistled Spring

anything by Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzalez/Junip, Kings of Convenience, The Rural Alberta Advantage, Seabear, Vetiver

Not British though!

• Cheers guys, plenty to be going along with there! I shall get on You Tube tonight and then iTunes.

Talal, are The Rural Alberta Advantage Canadian?  If so, I shall definitely check them out seeing as I"ve just moved to Alberta.

• yep they are indeed from the cold land :)
  • I was the good looking 57 year old who didn't have a beard.No it was'nt me who set off the alarm.I have been to loads of concerts but that has never happened to me before.It was great the way Richard picked up the song from where he left off. What a guitarist and singer.Makes my attempts at playing the guitar look pretty poor.

• Shane Mac and the boys are in Greenwich this Saturday...

http://www.greenwichsummersessions.co.uk/line-up/saturday-30th-pogues/

• Sponsored links:

• Steve Knightly, Danu, Christy Moore, Bob Dylan and Lindisfarne
  • Goats don't shave, are a good irish folk band.
  • edited July 2011
    Isnt the Edmonton Folk Festival on soon?? The Calgary one was just last weekend, it was mostly dull - KD Lang, Blue "Chuffin" Rodeo, Buffy St Marie, Joel Plaskett etc etc

However there was some good stuff notably the excellent The Head & The Heart, Bonnie Prince Billy, Felice Brothers, Dark Dark Dark, Lightning Dust, Yo La Tengo and a real gem from Alberta a guy called T. Buckley.

As for British Folk, i really liked the recent series by The Owl Service and for an American take on British Folk look no further than the first couple of albums by Espers. Meg Baird's debut solo Lp is my favourite modern trad folk album.

For older stuff, the absolute pinnacle has to be Fairport's Liege & Lief from around 1970, likewise Unhalfbrickling.
  • Yeah, it is but tickets went on sale just after I arrived and sold out before I found out about. Not really got anyone to go with this year but it's on my list for things to do once my wife joins me.
  • i used to get taken to dorking folk club while going every year to trowbridge folk festival! so at 36 im well into to folk know! phil beer ,the albion band,rock salt and nails,tarras,the strawbs and also scottish folk wolfstone
  • I forgot to add Alasdair Roberts to my little modern day  list - Scottish troubadour & incredible guitarist. Love his work.

Sandy Denny/Fotheringay of course, Shirley Collins, Pentangle, Meic Stevens, Vashti Bunyan - there is so much to explore..........
  • A thought from an old timer, Foster and Allen, The Pogues, great sounds.
  • Not a fan of folk music normally. Then I saw Bellowhead on Jools Holland's show. Got two of their albums now, brilliant stuff!
  • Bellowhead are excellent ... as recommended to me by algarveaddick last year :-)

Also try Dervish, Alyth McCormack, Antje Duvekot, Eliza Carthy, Jim Moray, Cara Dillon, Karine Polwart, Unthanks. Imagined Village, Julie Fowlis, Martin Carthy, Lisa Knapp, Runrig, Seth Lakeman ... there's some great music out there at the moment.

And the best of all of course ... The Pogues, virtually every album. Plus try out Shane's other band The Popes.

• It's the Cambridge Folk Festival this weekend (I think). If you can't get to that, there will be coverage on Radio Two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Villagers album's very good.

excellent
  • Back in the dark ages they had folk evenings in The Railway Blackheath and The Tramshed Woolwich and occasionally some good people would turn up.
  • Show of Hands, Oysterband, Seth Lakeman to name but three.
  • Try a few of these...all recent(ish) albums and all regularly on my playlists.

The Boy Who Trapped The Sun - Fireplace
    Fionn Regan - The End of History
    I Am Kloot - Sky at Night 
    Stornoway - Beachcomber's Windowsill
    Midlake - The Courage of Others
    The Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin

And would definitely agree with blackheathaddick and stonemuse about the Villagers album - Becoming a Jackal.  Fantastic album!
  • Fionn Regan - The End of History
    Stornoway - Beachcomber's Windowsill

Great choices
  • Cheers stonemuse.

Fionn has a new album out in a couple of weeks...100 Acres of Sycamore.  You can get a taster/free download of the title track on his website - www.fionnregan.com  If it's anything to go by, can't wait for the rest!!

I should have mentioned David Kitt as well.  A personal favourite, with The Big Romance, Misfits Vol 1 and Square 1. 

• Recently I've been getting more and more into Folk Music, guess I'm just getting old and mellowing out!

Anyway, although I like the stuff I'm not really aware of that many artists (I know there are loads, I just don't know who they are). I've been listening to Mumford and Sons, Beth Orton and Laura Marling as well as Flogging Molly (not exactly orthadox folk) for a little while and I've recently discovered the angelic warblings of Kate Rusby. Any Lifers recommend any other acts I should check out, particularly UK and Irish groups/artsist?

Go and see Pentangle (original line up) at the RFH on Monday night... catch them while you can. Still tickets available.
  • edited July 2011
    Cheers stonemuse.

Fionn has a new album out in a couple of weeks...100 Acres of Sycamore.  You can get a taster/free download of the title track on his website - www.fionnregan.com  If it's anything to go by, can't wait for the rest!!

I should have mentioned David Kitt as well.  A personal favourite, with The Big Romance, Misfits Vol 1 and Square 1. 

Hadn't heard of Fionn Regan before, just listened to one song on youtube - I want that album now! Cheers
  • Saw The Chieftans in the Free Trade Hall in Mancester in 1980 and never looked back! Agree on The Pogues, by the way.
  • Saw Pentangle at RFH last night - fantastic. I can't encourage you enough to try and see them while you can... this would appeal to anyone who likes folk, jazz, blues or just good (real) music. Many of their songs take you direct to an olde green England that is becoming ever harder to imagine.