Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Iwelumo

13»

Comments

• Options
    Remember people calling him a donkey because he wasn’t Darren Bent. Would love to have a big Chris type player with us now.
    Done a great job for us.
  • Options
    Isn't the problem that it takes several years to rise up the leagues to referee at a decent level, and by the time you reach that level you don't have many years left.

It's not like being say a cricket umpire as you can go on much longer as it's far less physical 
  • Options
    Isn't the problem that it takes several years to rise up the leagues to referee at a decent level, and by the time you reach that level you don't have many years left.

It's not like being say a cricket umpire as you can go on much longer as it's far less physical 
    Ex pro’s should be fast tracked. They have the fitness levels, know the rules or should do and won’t be conned by players as easily as some referees are. It’s a great thing for the game.  
    Ex players have been fast tracked in the past, without any success. This is because,  in my opinion, the skills set of players and referees do not correlate. Refereeing is all about man management, taking into account the high level of stress of players at the highest level. Playing is about skills on the ball etc, etc 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    PeterGage said:

Ex pro’s should be fast tracked. They have the fitness levels, know the rules or should do and won’t be conned by players as easily as some referees are. It’s a great thing for the game.  
    Ex players have been fast tracked in the past, without any success. This is because,  in my opinion, the skills set of players and referees do not correlate. Refereeing is all about man management, taking into account the high level of stress of players at the highest level. Playing is about skills on the ball etc, etc 
    Nonsense. So ex players can’t go on to be successful managers and coaches then ? No man management skills involved there are there ? 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Nonsense. So ex players can’t go on to be successful managers and coaches then ? No man management skills involved there are there ? 
    There are a lot of players who get fast tracked into management and a lot of those are adequate at best and poor at worst. Referees get held to a stupid high level, they get berated and frequently insulted by thousands for decisions that are questionable instead of factually wrong.
  • Options

It's debatable whether ex players know the rules, when you hear pundits on tv.. 
  • Options

It's debatable whether ex players know the rules, when you hear pundits on tv.. 
    should is what I said. A refereeing course should remedy that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PeterGage said:

The phrase ‘Man management’ allows you to draw a comparison to coaching. But coaching has no relationship to being a referee. Being a ref and a player are not remotely similar. Managing a squad isn’t anything like managing a 90 minute game. It’s just the word ‘management’ has more than one meaning. 
  • Options
    The trouble with refereeing is it is run by school teachers, bus drivers, any anybody else that fancies it, part time.  Most have never played the game to any level whatsoever. Yet do a 2 week course and all of a sudden are refereeing, and experts. Look at some of the perma-tan clowns we had at the Valley. The game desperately needs ex-pros to referee other pros, and raise the level. Then the usual jokes that start off bullying 14yr old kids won't come through the ranks, and get onto the leagues list. Go and watch any Sunday leagues matches and see how laughable  some of these refs are.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

PeterGage said:

The phrase ‘Man management’ allows you to draw a comparison to coaching. But coaching has no relationship to being a referee. Being a ref and a player are not remotely similar. Managing a squad isn’t anything like managing a 90 minute game. It’s just the word ‘management’ has more than one meaning. 
    Players are human just like anyone else. Nothing to suggest they can’t be great referees just like anyone else. They do have an edge over Ivor Bigdick bank manager from Carlisle though because they know the game and can see and know what players get up to on the pitch. 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

It is certainly not nonsense, because as I said, it has been tried b4 and was a dismal failure. You cant argue with facts.

The difference between man management on the field of play to that of a manager is carried out undee totally different circumstances. That management on the field of play requires a cool -headed calm guy, managing 22 players, whose state of stress and lack of logic during that period is extremely high. Whilst not denigrating the man management skills of managers, the correlation between the two circumstances are wide apart.

Having refereed at a high level, pro players knowledge of the laws (or as you call them rules) is no greater than that of a sunday league player (I have officiated at both levels).

I am all for fast tracking any new referees, be they ex players or otherwise if they show aptitude at their career start, but alone, it is not the answer

• Options
    Most Refs and linos can't keep up with play. The just don't have the fitness levels of pros.they don't have the spacial awareness of pros. They also can't anticipate what going to happen next. They don't have cool heads and most crack under pressure. Just look at some of the performances we see week in week out!They tell the linos not to make decisions in or around the box and then signal to the lino which way a throw goes so they don't cross. 

One i came across was a headteacher, and all he wanted to show you was him running the line at Upton Park!

We need to clear out all the wannabe , spotlight seeking fools and replace them with ex-pros who know the laws, but more importantly know the game. and lets be fair their are plenty of instances of so called elite refs getting it arse about face. 

• Options
    I'd like to see Savage Robbie refereeing .. anything to get the dickhead away from 'punditry'
  • Options

Most Refs and linos can't keep up with play. The just don't have the fitness levels of pros.they don't have the spacial awareness of pros. They also can't anticipate what going to happen next. They don't have cool heads and most crack under pressure. Just look at some of the performances we see week in week out!They tell the linos not to make decisions in or around the box and then signal to the lino which way a throw goes so they don't cross. 

One i came across was a headteacher, and all he wanted to show you was him running the line at Upton Park!

We need to clear out all the wannabe , spotlight seeking fools and replace them with ex-pros who know the laws, but more importantly know the game. and lets be fair their are plenty of instances of so called elite refs getting it arse about face. 

Wow, so many statements un supported by facts.

1. I have, above, aleady, debunked the myth that ex pro players are the panacea of any ills that pervade the art of refereeing. That's not to say that some ex pros cannot contribute to the game beyond their playing days.

2.To say referees aren't fit is simply unsupported. All referees, on obtaining senior status, has to pass an annual fitness test. At Premier League status, officials are additionally constantly monitored. League referees run between 6-8 miles per game and are constantly on the move, while players average 7 miles per game, with "rests" inbetween, when the ball is not in their zone.

3. "Referees under stress" - really? Examples please. 

4. Referees are human and humans make mistakes in all walks of life. Stats show the refs at the highest level get some 95% of the important decisions right; hopefully VAR ( an altogether different debate) can improve this ratio.
  • Options
    Point 2 is a load of old waffle though, I can run 10 miles no problem, could I keep up with a top level game of football? Not a chance.

Anyone who has spent time watching football has seen refs who are unable to keep up with play, so it's not unsupported at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    See how many times refs get in the way when sides are attacking, because they are told run a diagonal, and not aware of what is going on around them. Cant see how an attack is developing.

I Think Stu_of_Kumming answered point 2. plus they don't train like pros, all have 2nd jobs like driving instructors, police officers. and of course teachers!

Ellery losing it when Tony Adams called him a cheat , Arsenal vs Millwall ,
    Pohl booking the same player 3times in a World Cup match,
    The world cup final ruined by an English ref who missed a kung-fu kick on a Spanish player then gave a goal kick when it clearly was a corner.
    Bennett sending Paul Hart to the stands because Hart asked about a foul,  and ranting at his assistant. 
    Anders Fisk bottling a Euro Cup match and jacking because Mourhino  called him out.plus the myriad we see at the Valley week in week out.

Ask Ferguson, Warnock, or Lee Bowyer about the todays refs.

You say they get 95% of their decisions right, you are right the shame is the 5% they get wrong are the vital ones
    the free kicks in the centre of the park that are given,then not given if its in the box!

• Options
    See how many times refs get in the way when sides are attacking, because they are told run a diagonal, and not aware of what is going on around them. Cant see how an attack is developing.

I Think Stu_of_Kumming answered point 2. plus they don't train like pros, all have 2nd jobs like driving instructors, police officers. and of course teachers!

Ellery losing it when Tony Adams called him a cheat , Arsenal vs Millwall ,
    Pohl booking the same player 3times in a World Cup match,
    The world cup final ruined by an English ref who missed a kung-fu kick on a Spanish player then gave a goal kick when it clearly was a corner.
    Bennett sending Paul Hart to the stands because Hart asked about a foul,  and ranting at his assistant. 
    Anders Fisk bottling a Euro Cup match and jacking because Mourhino  called him out.plus the myriad we see at the Valley week in week out.

Ask Ferguson, Warnock, or Lee Bowyer about the todays refs.

You say they get 95% of their decisions right, you are right the shame is the 5% they get wrong are the vital ones
    the free kicks in the centre of the park that are given,then not given if its in the box!

There is not a single referee at the Premier League that has a aecond job - please try to keep up.

You quoted Tony Adams - 25 years ago! That argues against the point you make.

The point you mske against "referees getting in the way, runs opposite your view that referees are not fit and dont keep up with play. A case of "when you are in a hole, stop digging".

On a more serious note, I am more than happy to meet up with you at an away game (I am a home boycotter) and sit together so that we can exchange comments in live mode. Please send me a pm. Thanks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Okey dokey, will PM, Perhaps Reading?
  • Options
    Reading will be good for me. Not too much travelling.

Enjoy the rest of your day 
  • Options
    Poor old Chris - I had no idea his eyesight had deteriorated to that extent. :D
  • Options
    I have to say that some of the comments on here about refs are laughable. I get as riled as the next man when they get it wrong but that's part and parcel of the game and the passion that goes with it (even if sometimes it's inappropriate).

Some of the correct decisions they make are remarkable given the speed of play, and I'm often surprised at the accuracy of their decisions, especially linesmen with offsides.

Sometimes they get it wrong...

Notwithstanding that, I will always join in with any chant of "the referee's a wanker".... 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    PeterGage said:

If done properly, ex players will make better refs. They will know all the things that go on during a game of football. Great to see.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

If done properly, ex players will make better refs. They will know all the things that go on during a game of football. Great to see.
    If not as referees then I think having ex-Players involved in VAR decisions as an advisor would be a good call
  • Options

You are talking a load of BS
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

How was it "not done properly" last time when the experiment was, sadly, a dismal failure?
  • Options
    my mate is a ref/official.  28 now and hes been doing it since he was 16/17 started off down goals etc, eventually working his way up, this season he is now efl, was 4th official for the colchester/port vale game. 

quite decent wage aswell, plus mileage etc paid, lunch

he says that he will need to be on the efl lines and 4th official for at least 2/3 seasons before he gets a ref gig. 
  • Options
    my mate is a ref/official.  28 now and hes been doing it since he was 16/17 started off down goals etc, eventually working his way up, this season he is now efl, was 4th official for the colchester/port vale game. 

quite decent wage aswell, plus mileage etc paid, lunch

he says that he will need to be on the efl lines and 4th official for at least 2/3 seasons before he gets a ref gig. 
    At least he started young enough to progress to EFL level and still young enough to hopefully reach the heights of the Premier League. Best of luck to him in his current and future career.