Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 8th Feb 1994 Blackburn 0 Charlton 1

2»

Comments

• it was a great night, can remember going absolutely mental after the final whistle down on the concourse, mate of mine got a slap after as well when he took a wrong turn outside the ground. The good old days. Have to say that we have had some memorable trips to Blackburn down the years. 2-0 win back in 91-92(i think) leaburn and lee, dalglish was manager then as well and then winning the title up there in 2000 the highlight. The missus and me stayed behind to see the team get on the bus, kinsella fell out the stadium door holding 2 pints of lager, quality day
  • Great night. Went by coach (stewarded by Peter Varney) did not get back till gone 3 in the morning, but made sure I was up for six form the next day simply to gloat and take the opportunity for us to be on all the back pages.

Totally deserved the win on the night which considering we had totally outplayed them at the Valley in the 21st game was a real achievement as they were the 2nd best team in the country.

Although we knocked Wimbledon, S Wed and Coventry in the cups in future years despite being in a lower league, this will always be better.
  • Crash Bang Wallop........
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]What a great night that was, the first time we had beaten a team from a higher division in years (ever?), I remember the Blackburn supporters being very gracious in defeat and congratulating us as we walked back to the car.

I remember Big William getting a whack on the way back to our car after the game. The mob that were goading us were about as gracious as Wenger.

After Pitcher scored his dubious deflected goal I was told he got a bit pig headed and was waiting for the call from a well known Premiership manager who was supposedly at the game.

He did get the call but not from the man in question - it was Stuart Balmer with his best Glaswegian accent pretending to be the said manager. Pitcher fell for it for most of the day until he was given the 'yellow bib' in training.
  • I remember one of my mates dancing on the pitch. Can't remember if it was when we scored or more likely at the final whistle.
  • edited February 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]What a great night that was, the first time we had beaten a team from a higher division in years (ever?), I remember the Blackburn supporters being very gracious in defeat and congratulating us as we walked back to the car.[/quote]

I remember Big William getting a whack on the way back to our car after the game. The mob that were goading us were about as gracious as Wenger.

After Pitcher scored his dubious deflected goal I was told he got a bit pig headed and was waiting for the call from a well known Premiership manager who was supposedly at the game.

Nae bastard whacked me that night....mainly coz I was't there. I had a job interview that afternoon, and after witnessing countless embarassing cup exits I missed the big one. I think we went about 60 years without beating a side from a higher division in the FA cup at least, then did it 3 times in 7 years or so. Nick, do you remember walking back to the station at Bolton in the snow, some of their lot mingled in, and one of them took a boot at Dave W and connected with the bag of pennies we'd been playing cards for. Had the odd spectacle of pennies from heaven in Bolton in December, nearly caused a stampede...

He did get the call but not from the man in question - it was Stuart Balmer with his best Glaswegian accent pretending to be the said manager. Pitcher fell for it for most of the day until he was given the 'yellow bib' in training.[/quote]

One of my mates had a pint with Curbs a little while later and he said Pitcher came in his office wanting to know why we wouldn't let him talk to West Ham. He wouldn't believe that they weren't interested, in the end Curbs rang Billy Bonds and got him to tell him. Basically Eric Hall got hold of him and convinced him he was Paolo Maldini.
  • And when he did leave us , didn't he call Charlton a " Mickey Mouse Club " ?

Stewarded a coach that night for the first time with my daughter who had time off sdchool for another dental appointment...

Memorable night.
  • He apparently held up his Mickey Mouse tie and said that was the club he'd just come from. There was talk about sending a CAFC XI to play Grays in a benefit for him a couple of years back, there was such an uproar it was quietly dropped. Can't imagine why....

When he came onto the pitch to do the Valley Gold draw (see Garry Nelsons book) I was behind the Covered end, people were fighting each other to get back up the stairs to offer him their opinions.
  • Discharged myself from hospital to go to replay and ended up with an infection after my wound bleed after climbing untold stairs upto my seat in stand we was sitting and then made it all worse when celebrating our goal and then victory!What a night and wouldnt of missed it for anything.Cant bring myself to mention the scorers name but do remember seeing him on TV AM the next morning.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Blackburn I think were second in the EPL at the time.

as i remember it we were second in the league also at the time! i remember it clearly. i always used to go to blackburn games as my dad's ex-boss was a season ticket holder so used to meet up, only for this one we sat with the home fans. imagine their faces when i leapt up and quickly sat back down, lol. i remember going for a pint afterwards in blackburn then getting a phone call from my misses saying she was really ill, and my dad asking how on earth i could get 130mph out of my company's 1.4 astravan on the way home lol. a great away day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Also bet on us that night.
    We also hired a minibus.
    Unfortunatly only half of us returned though.
    The other half spent the night going round a roundabout with somone elses vehicle wheel lock on...
    If i remember rightly, that evening was my first introduction to 20/20.
  • Blimey was that 17 years ago? I listened to it driving up the M1 to Newcastle for a meeting - I think I let the steering wheel go when we scored.
  • Bloody brilliant night - Mental in the Upper tier at Full Time!!

Pitcher is a tool, though! Didn't one of the board bet on correct score and scorer?
  • Was skiing in Cervinia. Found out result next day with a phone call home. No internet or mobiles (for the masses!) in those days!
    Missed the Bristol City game too but made the 1/4 final!

As for that quarter, just looked up the attendance. Can you believe it was ONLY 44,347? It was a full house. Just shows how football has changed in 15 years.
  • and was this really 19 years ago?
  • I went on a coach from Medway. Do not remember much of the game . Apart from Pitchers deflected goal. Got home about 3 and went to work the next day. Talking about the great Darren I remember when he played against us at Sell Out I think he got booked first . Everyone stood and gave. Him an ovation
  • Went on the coach with @rikofold we were in the lower tier. Remember being told captial gold had said we had a tiny away following of 300-400. They hadn't noticed the top tier! Memorable after match when now club chaplain Matt Baker supplied Top Gun esque victory cigars!
  • I was there, the pub across the way was rocking. Think I remember a game of 'keep hat' after some poor Blackburn fan had his hat 'borrowed'. All good natured though. Atmosphere in our end was phenomenal. Was truly a blinding night!
  • I was there, like others had bunked off school. So I saw a famous cup victory but then flunked my A Levels that summer. I did 50 games that season which probably explains why.
  • Went on the coach with @rikofold we were in the lower tier. Remember being told captial gold had said we had a tiny away following of 300-400. They hadn't noticed the top tier! Memorable after match when now club chaplain Matt Baker supplied Top Gun esque victory cigars!

If I remember correctly they took an age to smoke, but at least you could light up in the ground back then.

That game was the end of Pitcher. So we had two things to celebrate ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• "Monster" result !
  • 22 years ago, a cup shock of huge proportions.

Whatever happened to, the hero's?
  • Fucking hell 22 years ago that's unreal where have the years gone
  • Remember listening to it on Capital Gold in my room at home. Got too nervous in the second half so turned it off and when I turned teletext on on 90 expecting us to be 2 or 3-1 down, I couldn't believe it when I saw we had held out.
  • This FA Cup run was just before I became a Charlton fan, remember cycling back from the library just as the Manchester United match was happening but strangely the Peter Schmeichel sending off is probably my biggest FA Cup memory
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7403730296

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/

Daily programme updates on twitter - follow @addicksjrp
  • Alan McLeary and Stuart Balmer gave their best performances for the club that night.
  • Great game, great result and a great night. Sadly my dads last game before his old heart gave out but at least he went out on a high.
  • I'm sure The Sun backpage headline that day was

CRASH BANG WALLOP, WHAT A PITCHER

or if it wasn't, it should of been.

Yup, it was, and have the cutting somewhere as well. That was the only game in the FA Cup run I missed. Seem to recall that after we beat Burnley in the 3rd Round, getting home after a four-hour trip back from The Valley and sitting up late to watch the goal on MOTD and they never even showed them ... and then that Schmeichel wiping out of Kim Grant in the QF ...
  • 22 years ago, a cup shock of huge proportions.

Whatever happened to, the hero's?

They watched their Rome burn :-(