Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 8th Feb 1994 Blackburn 0 Charlton 1

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Having beaten Burnley at The Valley in round three, Charlton took on 'The team that Jack built' at home in round four. A 0-0 draw against Batty, Shearer and co was surley the best Charlton could get and the replay money would come in handy anyway.

F.A. Cup fourth round replay. Blackburn Rovers 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (Pitcher 15). Ewood Park: Att 15,438

Blackburn: Flowers, Berg, Moran, Morrison, Le Saux, Ripley, Batty, Marker (Atkins 79) Wilcox, Shearer, Gallacher (Pearce 77), Unused sub: Mimms.

Charlton: Salmon, Brown, Minto, Pardew, Balmer, McLeary, Robson (Newton 78), Pitcher, Leaburn, Grant, Nelson. Unused subs: Garland, Bolder.

Referee: Allan Flood (Stockport).

Kim Grant was booked in the 53rd minute for time wasting!

Rovers went on to win The Premiership the following season.

Comments

• was only 11 at the time and didnt go to the replay but remember listening to it incessentantly on Radio 5 on my bedside table whilst i should have been getting to sleep.

when the final whistle went both me and my dad cheered and then he came in and said "you should be asleep". I apologised and he said "don't worry, it's Charlton".

That team is the first Charlton team i knew in terms of watching regularly.
  • edited February 2007
    I remember the build up to this game being all about what the respective teams cost. I'm pretty sure ours was under £1m and theirs over £20m in total.
    I didn't go to the replay and it was agony listening to us hang on, on the radio, just waiting for the roar of the home fans.

Was Dalglish Manager at the time?
  • What a day met on mini bus Bricklayers arms 9am,another pick up Horse and Groom,then off to Blackpool to get rat arsed.Everyone has £2 on us at 8-1 (which pays for coach to Bristol City) in next round.Then in boozer at away end at Blackburn.Was so pissed at end of game thought we had got a 1-1 draw and was waiting for extra time.Back in boozer after game then home by 4.In work up town by 9 still pissed.Now that was a good away day.
  • A great goal from Darren Pitcher - a 25 yarder that had the papers talking the next day of a million pound transfer to a Premiership club. Blackburn I think were second in the EPL at the time.

Bristol City beat Liverpool in the fourth round and we were drawn away against them instead of travelling to Anfield.
  • I was at hospitality that evening (sorry, Mortimerician & co) at a Tennent's Scottish Cup replay between Dunfermline and Airdrie, with the radio glued to my ear as usual. I got some very strange looks from the locals when I jumped up and cheered - Dunfermline were getting roundly stuffed on the pitch in front of me, but Charlton had just scored at Blackburn. The Charlton match must have been a later kick-off, as I remember being very rude and distracted back in the lounge at the end of the game as I was still desperately listeneing to the radio and encouraging us to hang on. In the end I had to retreat to the privacy of the ladies loo, as my behaviour just seemed too bizarre...
  • I'm sure The Sun backpage headline that day was

CRASH BANG WALLOP, WHAT A PITCHER

or if it wasn't, it should of been.
  • "What a day met on mini bus Bricklayers arms 9am,another pick up Horse and Groom,then off to Blackpool to get rat arsed.Everyone has £2 on us at 8-1 (which pays for coach to Bristol City) in next round.Then in boozer at away end at Blackburn.Was so pissed at end of game thought we had got a 1-1 draw and was waiting for extra time.Back in boozer after game then home by 4.In work up town by 9 still pissed.Now that was a good away day."

I remember you dancing in the pub before the game holding a poster of Shearer that you had set alight!
  • Great night out!Great atmosphere,and the journey home was good.

We were booked on the stupid o' clock train from Preston so we had a few hours to kill so some of us stayed in a snooker hall and the rest went God knows where until the train arrived.

The train ride home was fun as we managed to piss the whole train off by waking everybody up.Well we just had to tell them about our great victory....as loudly as we could :)
  • Went on the coach to this one and this was a great night. Got back at 3 am and then up again 4 hours later for work. Was buzzing all next day.

The next league game was on the saturday away at Oxford. A good 4 nil win, but Pitcher was swaning around the pitch that afternoon like he was going to get a move to a bigger club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got the day off school to head up from Yeovil to Blackburn with my dad for this one. Dont think the education attendance officers would be happy with that nowadays!
  • Was on Barmy Betty's coach that night. Missed KO, but got in just before the goal.

One of those long-midweek drives that was definately worth it. We made some cracking noise in the upper tier.

Like Shirty, also remember the Oxford away one a few days later. Two away games in a week, no chance nowadays !
  • Funnily enough I remember having £2 on us at 8/1 that night too. When you look at the team sheets it seems quite low odds. From what I remember of the game they battered us and Pitcher's goal got a big deflection. Shearer missed chance after chance.
  • I was skiing in Cervinia, Italy at the time. Long before texts/mobiles/Internet etc. Late phone call back home that night brought the good news.
  • was at a scouts quizz night in st lukes hall in charlton, had the radio on one headphone hidden up my sleve got bollocked for jumping up when pitcher scored, was 14.
  • What a great night that was, the first time we had beaten a team from a higher division in years (ever?), I remember the Blackburn supporters being very gracious in defeat and congratulating us as we walked back to the car.
  • went up on the coach from bexleyheath, didnt get there until just before kick off and got dropped off outside the pub by the away end. lots of drunken charlton boys sliding down the bank outside in the mud coming out of the pub .
    fantastic atmosphere in the upper tier , I couldnt speak afterwards , but straight back on the coach and got home about 4 in the morning . My son had left his Charlton scarf draped over the bannisters for me when i staggered in, not sure why he didnt go now , probably chasing girls ....
    darren pitchers goal took a wonderful deflection ,and Steve brown was magnificent as usual. listening to the local radio as we pulled out of blackburn , they couldnt believe it .....beat bristol in next round and had that great day neat
  • I was only 8 at the time, but remember my dad glued to the radio and going absolutely mental at the final whistle. He then spent the next hour trying to explain how impressive a win it was to me. How Blackburn had the best striker in the country in Shearer and Charlton had kept a clean sheet and managed to win in their own back yard. Myself being a Villa fan at the time just wanted to go to bed!
  • stood at the back of the lower tier.

'Dentist appointment' that afternoon, home at 3.30 and in school in the morning.

Great days, never missed a match in those days.

Oxford was good as well singing 'we'll be running round in Bristol with our willies hanging out'

Two 1500 away turnouts in a week, those were the days.
  • Took half day off and drove up. Four of us in the car, found a pub on the Preston Road and had a couple of beers before hand. I said to the others that if we won we would go back to the same pub, ended up leaving there about 11.45 after me having a few orange juices whilst the other got tanked up. They all fell asleep on the way back. Three hours later we are back in south London and I get pulled over for speeding. I explained to the copper that my team had just beaten a team from the top disivon for the first time in 50 years and that I was just dropping the lads off and going home as I had to be at work in the morning. He said to mind as I go and to slow down. I think he thought that we had come straight back after the game and not spent almost an hour & a half in the pub. Lucky days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I right in thinking that this was the last time we beat a team in the FA Cup that was a division above us?
  • Cracking goal from Pitcher though to win it.
  • edited February 2009
    I think Coventry were a Premier side when we beat them 2-3 after being 2-0 down. We were in our Championship winning season then. Also Sheff Wednesday 2-0 at home a couple of yeras after this one.
  • Happened to coincide with a business trip I was on in the Manchester area. Got a couple of tickets, one for me and one for a colleague who was Citeh fan (with a soft spot for the Addicks).

Blackburn were going great guns and with a real star studded line up. They had great ability wide with people like Ripley and a top quality attack with Shearer.

I couldn't believe it when Pitcher scored after only 15 minutes. We held them until half time and I remember saying to my mate, it's going to be a long second half.

When Grant was booked for time wasting about ten minutes in, I was already looking at my watch. Nails were bitten, Blackburn pressed but still we held firm, 70 minutes gone, dare we? 80 minutes gone, might we? 85 minutes, can't bear it! Injury time, still they pressed. Suddenly it was all over. The jubilation was magnficent. What a result! Correct me if I'm am wrong but I believe it was the first time we had beaten a team from a higher league than us since the 1930's. Now that was some result.

I stayed in a Hotel that night near Preston and I phoned my Dad, who hadn't heard the result! He couldn't believe it! Next up Brizzle City then Manure. Happy days.......!!!!
  • The only downside of that season's magnificent FA Cup run to the Quarter-Finals was .......... we dropped like a stone from a handy 2nd place and missed promotion by a street.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The only downside of that season's magnificent FA Cup run to the Quarter-Finals was .......... we dropped like a stone from a handy 2nd place and missed promotion by a street.

Yes thats right Oggy. It was all looking rather good at the time. However looking at the team it wasn't quite there so perhaps we punched a bit above our weight.
  • I also remember, Bing - that season the squad were numbered according to their surname alphabetical order.

The No1 shirt was worn by Sweaty Balmer, who of course played centreback.

Just struck me at the time as strange to see an outfield player wearing the No1 shirt.
  • Bloody daft Oggy. One of the modernisations that didn't stand the test of time.
  • edited February 2009
    what number was our salmon? that kit was crap, collars were really crap, and the viglen peeled off
  • Salmon was the keeper, he had an absolute blinder up there that night. There was one tip-over from a Shearer header that was top-class. The numbering was alphabet-based so as an S he would have been well down the list, I think he might have been Number 23? Pitcher was 16.