Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Only just caught this thread.

I have seen a couple of touring productions recently and I finally got dragged along to see Wicked.

I didn't particularly enjoy Wicked but my teenage daughter lapped it up.Louise Dearman was excellent though.

I saw the current touring version of Evita when I was working up in Salford recently.The main known face is former Wet Wet Wet front man Marti Pellow who plays Che but for me star of the show was Madalena Alberto whose portrayal of Evita was superb.If you like the music from Evita this cast was probably the best I have personally seen live and certainly better than the West End Revival six years ago.

Then two weeks ago I saw Will Young in Caberet at the Wimbledon Theatre.I found this production extremely moving and an excellent piece of musical theatre.For older posters it also stars Lyn Paul the former lead singer of the New Seekers.The stage play is much better than the film and captured the brutality of Nazi Germany.

I will be going to Jesus Christ Superstar at the O2 in a couple of weeks time as I find that piece fascinating.In my opinion you can watch it from any religious standpoint and amazingly it works extremely well.

My only criticism of this arena production when I went last year was that I thought it would be better suited to a smaller venue which ironically is the exact opposite of Andrew Lloyd Webber's view.Tim Minchin in particular was excellent.
  • Options
    got tickets for the Commitments next Thursday, looking forward to it - loved the film
  • Options

got tickets for the Commitments next Thursday, looking forward to it - loved the film

This is the only juke box musical I would go and see as it does have a great script...hope you have good things to say about it EA.

Enjoy.

• Options
    A theatre thread on a football club's forum?!Do I need any more convincing that Charlton Life is the most special place I can find on the net? I'm really glad to see such a thread with five pages of posts,which shows that there're a few of you who are really into theatre.I have the Les Misérable 25th Anniversary concert at O2 on both DVD and blu-ray and am a big fan of Alfie Boe and John Owen Jones.Bought all of their albums last year.I know I totally sound like a newbie compared to all you veteran fans,but I do like Les Misérable alot.I thought I was past the age of reading classic novels but after I watched the musical,I searched for the Chinese ebook version of Les Misérable and finished reading it in three weeks.It's hands-down THE greatest work of literature I've ever read and also makes me really appreciate the musical.
  • Options

Going to see premier (I think) of commitments in west end Saturday, straight after the game, anybody else going?

Well after the dross served up at lunch time at the valley, I was not in a great mood going to see this.

What a fantastic night out, the show was all I expected it to be & more. Doesn't follow exactly the story line of the film, but close enough for my liking. Many extra songs in the show, the singers were really good, but the lead male had a fantastic voice.

At the finally everybody was up on there feet, a great end to a great evening.

Really recommend you go if you get the chance, it was a complete sell out & I understand tickets are selling well. Be interested to see what the pro's take on the show is.

• Options
    Went to see The Commitments last night as part of the preview week. Thought it was good - I think there are a few sound issues - we were in the stalls, probably 2 thirds back, and thought the speaking was quite quiet to start with, but it defo got louder.

Main blokes singing voice was awesome! I think there are some jokes that are really funny and others that could do with a bit of work, timing etc, but I'm sure they're tweaking every day as it's so new, you wouldn't have thought it was only their 4th day of performances - but really enjoyed it and like Hartleypete says, everyone gets up at the end for a sing song which was good fun!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    This is a song from Chess, normally sung by a guy...but 'er indoors thought she'd give it a go. Some of you will know that Grace is autistic and life with her can be somewhat difficult at times, but I have to forgive her when she does stuff like this...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4imG5mjTs&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Wow how have I only just taken note of this thread, perfect for me! It's my passion to make it to the west end! I go to Sylvia young theatre school part-time so wish me luck with it all!

If you could take the time to see something I'm in then please take your time to watch me in a show in Bromley, a musical called Vampyre.

Tickets can be bought here: http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/lpcpa

Thanks, A2TR.
  • Options
    going to watch Avenue Q in the Dugdale Centre Enfield on the 30th November local theatre meant to be really good and personal looking forward to it
  • Options
    I saw The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui last week. In truth I was a tad disappointed that they didn't include practically any of the Brechtian elements that you associate with the play.

A polished production though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to see Mojo next month and Henry V in December ...looking forward to both ...will let you know what they are like. .
  • Options
    If you could like this video on youtube of me singing empty chairs at empty tables that would be great as well! It was over a year ago but I haven't had anything videoed of me for a while ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlrs8qQmMY
  • Options

I saw The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui last week. In truth I was a tad disappointed that they didn't include practically any of the Brechtian elements that you associate with the play.

Say again ?

• Options

If you could like this video on youtube of me singing empty chairs at empty tables that would be great as well! It was over a year ago but I haven't had anything videoed of me for a while ...

You need to sort the miming out words are about 4 seconds in front of your lips.

• Options

Say again ?

Bit of a long winded name for a play I agree! (If that's what you mean)?
  • Options

My mate Alex is in this (in fact he is playing the lead tonight) - we are going to see it when we are back in the UK at the end of November. I know about Brecht, but little more so have nothing to compare it with, so hopefully I wont be disappointed.
  • Options
    Anyone seen Chimerica yet? I am off to see it on Wednesday.
  • Options

My mate Alex is in this (in fact he is playing the lead tonight) - we are going to see it when we are back in the UK at the end of November. I know about Brecht, but little more so have nothing to compare it with, so hopefully I wont be disappointed.
    I was doing research about Brecht so that is why I was disappointed. On balance, if I had not had those expectations I would have found it enjoyable.
  • Options

Saw the world premier of this at the Almieda in Islington.
    A proper Charlton fan was heavily involved in this production.
    Filmic, but good. Gets an 8 on the Setheatreometer.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Saw the world premier of this at the Almieda in Islington.
    A proper Charlton fan was heavily involved in this production.
    Filmic, but good. Gets an 8 on the Setheatreometer.

cheers Seth - I have heard good things elsewhere too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

You need to sort the miming out words are about 4 seconds in front of your lips.

Sorry cant work out if this is a joke or not ...
  • Options
    Yup Chimerica is a good'un. But only on for a few more days. If you can catch it well worth a watch.
  • Options
    Did anyone else see the 50th anniversary of the National documentary on BBC 4 last night?

I found it interesting.
  • Options
    took the missus to see The Bodyguard last night, was alot better than I thought it would be and she thought it was one of the best shows she'd seen, definitely better than the film and will get you some decent brownie points fellas
  • Options
    I went to Strangers on a Train last month. It was okay, I didn't know how far removed it is from the Hitchcock film. The production values were decent but I don't have much to compare it to.

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and pay for The Book of Mormon next month. I've been waiting for prices to come down but that'll probably never happen, as a South Park (and mormon) fan I have to see it before it goes.
  • Options
    Going to see The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui on Thursday, been invited to the end of run party afterwards too. Nice...
  • Options
    I've seen bodyguard when it first came out and thought the fella that plays frank was terrible and a bit cardboard. Saw Jersey boys Saturday and thought it was brilliant
  • Options
    Different frank last night, he was pretty good...Beverly Knight was superb
  • Options
    Henry V at Noel coward theatre ... Jude Law is impressive ... handled the battlefield speeches and the comic / romantic sections equally well. Very good use of the stage and set design.
  • Options
    Enjoyed Ui immensely. Henry Goodman is remarkable, had a nice chat with him at the party afterwards too *clang* ;-)