Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    C&TCF is cracking, you'll enjoy it @meldrew66.

Nigel Planer (Neil in The Young Ones) plays Granpa Joe, the rest I'd not heard of (not that that makes any difference).

was wondering how they'd do the stage settings when they enter the factory but it is very cleverly done and the effects are brilliant.

bloke who played Willy Wonka is v good. Augustus Gloop v funny, Veruca Salt brilliantly acted, Mike TV v funny and Violet Borigade (spelling?) excellent.

there's also a rave bit which i thoroughly enjoyed.

well worth a watch.
  • Options
    I'm still saving to take you to Paris.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I'm still saving to take you to Paris.

Make it New York and I'll go halves....

• Options
    We saw once a few weeks ago. Very beautiful , great
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Went to see The Audience with Helen Mirren on saturday. She was absolutely brilliant. Funny in parts and poignant in others. Highly recommended. Catch it while she is still i it though - an incredibly brilliant actor.

Saw the matinee performance today. She is amazing and some other brilliant performances............including by the corgis.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Went to see The Audience with Helen Mirren on saturday. She was absolutely brilliant. Funny in parts and poignant in others. Highly recommended. Catch it while she is still i it though - an incredibly brilliant actor.

Saw the matinee performance today. She is amazing and some other brilliant performances............including by the corgis.
    Agree it is great, difficult to get tickets but it is on a Greenwich Picturehouse from 13/6
  • Options
    Indeed Kimbo. A National Theatre Live broadcast. Well worth getting to.

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/

• Options
    kimbo said:

We saw once a few weeks ago. Very beautiful , great

Saw the film recently and just looked at the London preview. From a composers point of view I can honestly say that although not the best musical, it's the most honest and the most beautiful...Amen!

• Options
    Off to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tonight - a very excited 47 year old. The film is part of the soundtrack to my childhood. "Cheer Up Charlie" etc
  • Options
    The problem for me after seeing Les Miserables (for the first time only a year and a half ago!) is that every subsequent musical I see disapoints!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw Blood brothers at the cliffs pavillion in southend on wednesday and was very impressed! I did get stranded at west ham station though and my hammer mate had to come and pick me up! They aint all bad....
  • Options
    Saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Friday. We came away rather disappointed overall. Probably the best pantomime I have ever seen but the absence of any of the sons (apart from Pure Imagination at the end - which got by far the greatest cheer) was a surprise. The new songs were far from memorable too. The scenery, effects etc are well done but we left feeling a little cold. Wouldn't rush back but it may appeal to parents with kids (and there were LOADS of kids!) . . . . Just don't expect anything like the film in terms of music. We came out with same disappointment was the time we saw Thriller Live. Ultimately, we only paid £29 each but no way worth £73 that some will be paying.
  • Options
    Sorry..... Couple of typos in my last post; 'sons' should have read as 'songs'.
  • Options
    Went to 'nine theatre' in Beijing last night and saw Strindbergs Dream Play. Given that it is pretty incomprehensible in the original Swedish, and in any English translation, the fact that I only understood about 10 words in the Mandarin made little difference.
    There is a microscopic serious Theatre scene in China, and it was great to see such a fresh honest piece of work with immense skill from the performers. Great physicality, excellent use of voice, and of simple props, good use of space. I was impressed. It took some seeking out as most Chinese live performance is lavish stuff for tourists, with acrobatics and so on, or large scale operatic productions. It would be good to see more and more Chinese trying serious Drama, and i hope their efforts are rewarded, and the genre can grow. At the moment London is light years ahead.
    Went to the (visual) art district '798' last week and it was a stunning experience, in this regard China seems to be light years ahead of London.
  • Options
    Went to see Swan Lake at The Royal Albert Hall in June - was great - noisy swans and their blocks though! the music wasn't loud enough for me, we were in the boxes on the lower tier, about half way back. not sure if they use any amplification for the music, but it just didn't carry.

Thursday last week went to see The Sound of Music in the open air theatre in Regent's Park. Fantastic - if you get a chance to go - then do so! mainly shakespeare but sometimes other options. wind/rain/shine the show still goes on (probably with less enthusiasm sometimes though!). The girl that played Maria was fabulous, the kids were great - and enjoyed it more than the Andrew Lloyd Webber version in the West End.

Also going to see West Side Story at Sadlers Wells in August, Commitments in September and Romeo & Juliet (Ballet) at Royal Opera House in November.

• Options
    Die Walkerie at The RHA was fantastic.
  • Options
    West Side Story at Sadler's Wells last night. amazing, absolutely brilliant. i've spent all morning you tubing clips of the film. it's on till september so try to see it if you can!
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed it was on. WSS is making a bit of a revival at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    seth plum said:

Yes, I noticed it was on. WSS is making a bit of a revival at the moment.

Over 400 years old and still going strong.

• Options

West Side Story at Sadler's Wells last night. amazing, absolutely brilliant. i've spent all morning you tubing clips of the film. it's on till september so try to see it if you can!

I went on Saturday. Really great show, one of the best musicals I've seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to see the Secret Agent at the Young Vic this evening. Based on the early twentieth century novel by Joseph Conrad (he of 'Heart of Darkness thence 'Apocalypse Now' fame). The original novel is often cited as the first real Spy novel, and it concerns blowing up the Greenwich Observatory.
    I quite liked it, it was very experimental, lots of physicality, lots of rather absurd yet poetic bits. A good visual harmony, and very well performed by each cast member. I think they have taken the novel and dwelt on the chaotic idea of terrorism as the film 'Four Lions' did, but it was also about an aspect of terror and anarchy, the stealing of Time itself (did say it was a bit poetic), and also a bit about the role of women. Very decent, and I suspect memorable, and I would give it a 7.5.
  • Options
    Stone said:

I went on Saturday. Really great show, one of the best musicals I've seen.
    we saw it on 6/9, loved it, one of the best musicals.
  • Options
    Suzie, will be interested to know what the Committments is like
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I've written some awful musicals over the years, but fortunately only one was staged and double fortunately it wasn't watched by many. However, from this carnage someone saw enough to give me another chance, and I have now been commissioned to write another show. Bet I screw up :-)

• Options
    Going to see premier (I think) of commitments in west end Saturday, straight after the game, anybody else going?
  • Options
    Going to see Billy Elliot tomorrow for the 5th time but with people who haven't been before. Commitments next Tuesday! will let you know how it is @kimbo

I can't believe after years of wishing for it to happen, that Miss Saigon is coming back to London! can't blimmin wait for that! Favourite ever.

WSS also going to be on in Bromley in March time.
  • Options
    maybe_baby good luck with that. Trying to create something is a hard thing to do, but i reckon a good thing to do.
  • Options
    Last week I went to the Harold Pinter theatre to see Chimerica which I thought was very good. Jus tthink of the man with the white bags in Tanimann square in front of the tanks and the tank driver.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Last week I went to the Harold Pinter theatre to see Chimerica which I thought was very good. Jus tthink of the man with the white bags in Tanimann square in front of the tanks and the tank driver.

An Addick was involved in the creation of that play, he will be at the Valley Saturday.
  • Options

WSS also going to be on in Bromley in March time.

Doing the can can?