Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

photography thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    The 25600 was pre flash and only using the 18-105 (can’t remember what zoom it was at) with the aperture fully open
  • Options
    The 25600 was pre flash and only using the 18-105 (can’t remember what zoom it was at) with the aperture fully open
    Ah ok, that's not as bad as you think.

2 stops down from ISO25600 is ISO6400.
    3 stops down is ISO25600 is ISO3200.

Both more than acceptable to be shooting at with flash.  Just realise its going to be a bit more noisy.  If you've got Topaz suite, it'll clean them up.  Even the latest lightroom AI will clean the noise up but depending who's seeing the photos, most wont even notice the noise.

(Obviously, I'm saying that, I'm shooting Nikon mirrorless full frame now - both handle ISO really well as are full frame sensors.  I cant tell you whether the D5500 handles it as well as they do.  Have a practice and look at the images on a computer and see if you're happy with the noise!)

• Options
    Thanks again @JohnBoyUK for all your help.

The Prom was a week and a bit ago. It was a very fast paced event with a lot of crazy kids and unfortunately forgot most of what you taught me within minutes as I didn’t have much time to think.

The outside photos seemed okay but when we got to the venue, the dark room was a struggle (also some of them were hanging out outside the venue also in daylight).

I had focusing issues (it wouldn’t so I set manually) as at some point I must have set single point AF instead of Auto Area. I don’t know how this happened but after three pints my mind was blank of how to resolve it.

I did bounce the flash backwards although it didn’t seem to give me enough light on occasions, even when I got what I thought what was as acceptable exposure, looking at the photos, the highlights are a bit harsh with not enough diffusion.

I wasn’t happy with the photos at all, with some of the exposures and some blurry due to the AF area. Photoshop and Topaz rescued a few for me.

On the flip side, the Prom organiser and quite a few of the parents gave really nice comments…. ‘told a story of the day’, ‘loved the photos’ ‘fabulous’ etc. …… Like I said, they weren’t expecting much! 😂

• Options
    Thanks again @JohnBoyUK for all your help.

The Prom was a week and a bit ago. It was a very fast paced event with a lot of crazy kids and unfortunately forgot most of what you taught me within minutes as I didn’t have much time to think.

The outside photos seemed okay but when we got to the venue, the dark room was a struggle (also some of them were hanging out outside the venue also in daylight).

I had focusing issues (it wouldn’t so I set manually) as at some point I must have set single point AF instead of Auto Area. I don’t know how this happened but after three pints my mind was blank of how to resolve it.

I did bounce the flash backwards although it didn’t seem to give me enough light on occasions, even when I got what I thought what was as acceptable exposure, looking at the photos, the highlights are a bit harsh with not enough diffusion.

I wasn’t happy with the photos at all, with some of the exposures and some blurry due to the AF area. Photoshop and Topaz rescued a few for me.

On the flip side, the Prom organiser and quite a few of the parents gave really nice comments…. ‘told a story of the day’, ‘loved the photos’ ‘fabulous’ etc. …… Like I said, they weren’t expecting much! 😂

Ah, never drink on the job :)

Ha, I got roped into shooting an impromptu family shoot about 6-7 years ago and I was absolutely smashed.  It only dawned on me the day after I looked at the photos that all but 1 of them was out of focus.  Have since refrained from all boozing until I've packed all my kit away on wedding days.

At least you gave it a go and really good the organiser and other parents have given you good feedback.
    At the end of the day, if they are happy, you have to be happy!