Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of Alan Simonsen (NOT a RIP)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]There were rumours he was making his first appearance at a reserve match, so i went along with about 2,000 others. He was there - in the West stand, in a raincoat! I waited around to try and get his autograph afterwards, and in the end Richard Collins (still a director, I believe), took my autograph book and went and got it for me.

He was a superb player - but so much better than the rest of the team. Very embarrassing for them at times!

I remember this , was n't it against China or something ?

China...LOL. It was against Swansea and we won 4-1. Mind you, we did play the Chinese National team in a PSF and we won 1-0. Didn't George Best guest for us in that match?

I knew we had played China somewhere along the line , just not sure why I would've been there unless it was to see Simonsen
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

My best memory of him was an FA Cup game against Ipswich at The Valley. At the time Ipswich were arguably the best side in the country, certainly top 3 and we were in the lower reaches of the old division 2. We went 2-0 up in the first fifteen minutes or so and it looked like we might pull off a shock. Simonsen was superb but the rest of our lads just didn't have his speed of thought. Ipswich gradually pulled it back to 2-2 and it looked like a replay. At the death though Eric Gates broke away but Les Berry chased back and brought him down outside the box. Gates leapt in the air and into the box. The Ref fell for it, gave the pen 3-2 to them. Sickening.

Simonsen though was the reason we ran them as close as we did.

that was a great game Len, sort of game that makes supporters proud of their team

• Options
    Only saw him play one game, during which he terrorised Wednesday at Hillsborough. We lost, but by god he was class. Him team mates were happy just to pass him the ball and let him do his stuff. Never again are we likely to witness his class in our red shirt. Messi signing in 2018 might just about be an equal 'just'. He wasn't just great, he was off the scale for an 11 year old lad. For me witnessing Simonsen score for us during his short spell is up there with the play-off final and Carlisle in my special moments.
  • Options
    Great finish.

• Options
    I was standing on the EastTerrace and we were drawing 2-2 with Chelsea. We did not notice that some Chelsea fans had crept up behind us and said they were going to batter us for being mouthy.
    We then scored three more with Simmo getting two, hence 5-2. It seemed a long walk to the exit that afternoon.
  • Options
    I would give a thousand quid to have watched the faces of that dressing room as in walked Alan Simonsen, European Footballer of the Year.

My immediate reaction on his debut as he ran out was where did they get the kit for him from? it was so baggy on him...
  • Options
    he was our own " georgie best " he was so streets ahead of the rest of the team around him. he would have the ball in the opponents net, while our players would be expecting our goal keeper to be taking a goal kick.

he's the only player I've waited outside to see before they left the club. exceptional player.
  • Options
    The Chelsea game was superb. If memory serves me correctly I think he bagged a couple against Leicester at home that season too, beating them 2-0, again weaving through their defence both times. And that was a great Leicester side that were promoted that season, including Lineker, Smith, Melrose et al
  • Options

LenGlover said:

My best memory of him was an FA Cup game against Ipswich at The Valley. At the time Ipswich were arguably the best side in the country, certainly top 3 and we were in the lower reaches of the old division 2. We went 2-0 up in the first fifteen minutes or so and it looked like we might pull off a shock. Simonsen was superb but the rest of our lads just didn't have his speed of thought. Ipswich gradually pulled it back to 2-2 and it looked like a replay. At the death though Eric Gates broke away but Les Berry chased back and brought him down outside the box. Gates leapt in the air and into the box. The Ref fell for it, gave the pen 3-2 to them. Sickening.

Simonsen though was the reason we ran them as close as we did.

that was a great game Len, sort of game that makes supporters proud of their team

Probably the best game I've ever been to. The Gates/Wark penalty was the first Ipswich goal...Thijssen got the second and Wark volleyed home the winner from a last minute corner.

The two goals v Chelsea were his finest moments for Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boysie said:

The Chelsea game was superb. If memory serves me correctly I think he bagged a couple against Leicester at home that season too, beating them 2-0, again weaving through their defence both times. And that was a great Leicester side that were promoted that season, including Lineker, Smith, Melrose et al

The two against Leicester (2-1) were more close range. One of them was a volley. We beat them deservedly that day but they went on a great run and pipped Fulham for 3rd.
  • Options

Only saw him play one game, during which he terrorised Wednesday at Hillsborough. We lost, but by god he was class. Him team mates were happy just to pass him the ball and let him do his stuff. Never again are we likely to witness his class in our red shirt. Messi signing in 2018 might just about be an equal 'just'. He wasn't just great, he was off the scale for an 11 year old lad. For me witnessing Simonsen score for us during his short spell is up there with the play-off final and Carlisle in my special moments.

Didn't go but this was the 4-5 defeat after being 3-1 up! We knew how to fuck it up in those days too!
  • Options
    I was at the reserve game when he came on at half time & at the Newcastle game shown & the FA Cup game mentioned. However, I am mightily p**sed to have missed the 5-2 Chelsea game and probably a couple of the other games mentioned as I used to play football on a Sat afternoon in the early 80's.

Best player to have worn the shirt over the past 40 years & I only saw a handful of games........gutted.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Boysie said:

The two against Leicester (2-1) were more close range. One of them was a volley. We beat them deservedly that day but they went on a great run and pipped Fulham for 3rd.
    Your memory's better than mine, fella and you're absolutely right. They were close in. I was expecting a good hiding from Leicester that day. Don't think I've ever felt so much excitement when a Charlton player's been on the ball. He was streets ahead of our team at the time. A genuine privilege to have seen.
  • Options
    Boysie said:

Simonsen said:

Boysie said:

Your memory's better than mine, fella and you're absolutely right. They were close in. I was expecting a good hiding from Leicester that day. Don't think I've ever felt so much excitement when a Charlton player's been on the ball. He was streets ahead of our team at the time. A genuine privilege to have seen.
    He was the reason I first started to watch Charlton (that and being a London club with a quirky ground). I think I can still picture one of the goals....a side foot volley high into the net. He was also a provider and I seem to remember him supplying a nice cross for Steve White to score a similar goal v QPR (our consolation goal in the 3-1 defeat).
  • Options
    The two most skillful players i have seen in 35 years of watching Charlton. Both Danish , both sublime. Claus Jensen and Alan Simonsen
  • Options
    According to 'The Bible' the game against Cambridge on February 5th 1983, were Simo scored from the spot, was on match of the day. Alas, my google and utube search skills have deserted me.
  • Options

The two most skillful players i have seen in 35 years of watching Charlton. Both Danish , both sublime. Claus Jensen and Alan Simonsen

Yep...both excellent and make it into my all time squad. For excitement at seeing the ball at someone's feet....Simonsen, Paul Mortimer and the early Robert Lee (his turns were superb). Simonsen was the best though....goals, skill to beat a man, technical ability and vision. He could still have played for any of the top clubs but we got him!
  • Options

I was at the reserve game when he came on at half time & at the Newcastle game shown & the FA Cup game mentioned. However, I am mightily p**sed to have missed the 5-2 Chelsea game and probably a couple of the other games mentioned as I used to play football on a Sat afternoon in the early 80's.

Best player to have worn the shirt over the past 40 years & I only saw a handful of games........gutted.

I thought he played in that reserve game Golfie, I was there and I remember he crossed an absolute peach on to the head of our CF who just couldn't fail to score. Top, top quality player, the buzz around the crowd that night was amazing, a bit like now (lol)
  • Options
    Only Young at the time, but I remember my Dad telling me that in years to come I should consider it a privilege to have seen him in a charlton shirt. He was right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did we lose 3-2 to Boro or was it a 3-2 victory.
  • Options

Spot on ......Bedsaddick ....could not agree more.
  • Options

3 2 loss, although after being 3 0 down we nearly snatched a point at the end
  • Options

3 2 loss, although after being 3 0 down we nearly snatched a point at the end
    My first home game. Think we may have hit the bar very late on. Possibly Peter O'Sullivan? (Kevin Beattie was superb for Boro that day and Malcolm Allison was the manager).
  • Options

Simonsen made Jenson look average.

• Options

Kicked off behind the Covered End as we'll.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I rember a group of about twenty of us from the firm mainly the Eltham crowd going to Wembley to watch Allan play for Denmark against England, having an international player was a real novelty back then (unless they played for a really small country Graham Moore , Wales). Denmark won 1-0 and Simonson scored the penalty. It was strange as we were all half heartily cheering away on the England terrace.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ketman said:

Remember my Dad telling me about a game versus Chelsea at the Valley where their fans were giving him loads of stick most of the game then he got the ball beat about three of them scored then waved at all their fans in the Jimmy Seed sorry South Stand. He then proceeded to repeat the same trick and waved at them again after scoring. Think the Charlton fans then started giving the Chelsea Scum loads after that.

In my memory he only came on as a sub and beat Chelsea almost single handily, fantastic player head and shoulder above the rest of the team ( well not literally as he was about pretty small ).
    The down side ofcourse that his signing for what turned out to be a few weeks bankrupted the club. Mind you I believe he is still the only player to have worn our colours who was once European player of the year.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    WayneK said:

Kicked off behind the Covered End as we'll.

Did it? I was in the away end (didn't know the drill so just sat anywhere) and left the ground via the strange hillock with the goalposts on it! (and I'm certain the tannoy was playing Zambezi by The Piranhas!)
  • Options
    It also kicked off at the top of Floyd Road that day.
    We came back well from 0-3 down, and at 2-3, I remember Paul Elliott almost poking the ball home for an equaliser.