Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Telephone rules

What's your unofficial cut off time for ringing someone who is not a close friend or family ?

Are there different 'rules' for calling mobiles and landlines ?

A bloke from another team i've never spoken to before called on the house phone last night at 10.15pm, just to see if my club wanted a friendly this Sunday. He woke up my wife and one of the babies, and it took me nearly an hour to get the baby back to sleep again. To say i wasn't impressed was an understatement and i let the fella know.

Was i right to be off with the fella ?

In my rules, i wouldn't call someone i didn't know's landline after 9pm, mobile after 9.30, though i may text them up to 10pm.

What are your rules ?

Comments

• I was going to say 9 for a landline before I even finished reading your post. I wouldn't even ring my mum and dad after 9.30 unless I knew they were going to be up.

Think you've every right to have a word with him.

I'm available for Sunday by the way!
  • AFKA, you're turning into Larry David. Happens to all of us eventually.......
  • Got to be no later than 9 pm unless pre-arranged, on either land-line or mobile. While I'm at it (and even though I used to manage in the industry) calls from call-centres should not be allowed after 8 pm. Sadly the law is 9 pm and in some cases 10 pm, that realy hacks me off!!
  • texts anytime

Landland after 8.00 am and before 10pm
  • Yes, if the 'phone (landline) rings after 9.30p.m Mrs.M immediately think 'disaster, accident, emergency' etc. Mind you she's on the blower to my daughter for most of every evening so no-one else can get through: what do they find to talk about?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]texts anytime

Landland after 8.00 am and before 10pm

this
  • I don't mind getting called before 10PM, what I do mind is getting texts at any time of day but especially at night from my sister that say "CALL ME!!!". I always assume the worst and ask if she's been raped or something, but nah, she just wondered if I got any tickets to go home. :/
  • we don't have a landline which gets rid of that problem. wouldn't call my parents landline after 9ish unless they were expecting a call from me.

would text anyone at anytime. If people don't turn their phones off or on silent over night then thats not my problem. Texts were invented to be non obtrusive 'respond when you want' way of communication.

Afka, get him back by sending him texts to his landline every time you're up doing an early morning feed. the landline will ring - he'll get to the phone and it'll be some automated voice speaking your message in a monotone way. just do it at 4am tomorrow morning saying "not very funny is it". that'll teach him :-)
  • Unless its urgent I probably wouldn't after 9.30 although I have done so later.

I therefore have to argue on this fellas side for a moment. I suspect he doesn't, like me, have children. Us child-less folk run normal services until 11 or 12 at night and can forget that other people's days end much earlier.
    He may not have gotten back from work until 8 or 9pm then had something to eat and had other calls to make before yours.

So whilst I understand why you shouted at him and I'm sure he does too, do understand that we are all different.
  • I would say before 8 am and after 10pm are no nos, unless it is an emergency. Texting to mobiles is OK outside this time and if people really don't want to be disturbed they will have switched off their mobiles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fuck me .... I wouldn't call at that time.
  • Good thread. I get a hell of a lot of calls both from clubs (usually the KSFL) confirming matches and I have to make a lot of calls to assistants about travelling arrangements and times etc for my Kent League games.

For me I don't like to ring much after 8-8.30 as I have no idea if the recipient has young children or has to get up stupidly early for work etc. Certainly I would ring no later than 9 so I have sympathy with you AFKA for being rung at 10.15pm especially with the little uns.

Mobiles are different. I should imagine to ring no later than 9.30-10pm. They are a less intrusive way of communicating. I would never text to confirm a game. Email sometimes is better followed up with a call.
  • landlines 9.30 mobiles depends who it is txts 11.00
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Unless its urgent I probably wouldn't after 9.30 although I have done so later.

I therefore have to argue on this fellas side for a moment. I suspect he doesn't, like me, have children. Us child-less folk run normal services until 11 or 12 at night and can forget that other people's days end much earlier.
    He may not have gotten back from work until 8 or 9pm then had something to eat and had other calls to make before yours.

So whilst I understand why you shouted at him and I'm sure he does too, do understand that we are all different.

Nope, i live in a childless househould and i wouldnt call that late. in fact i was bed at that time last night.
  • Mobile of a friend = anytime.
    House of a friend (who lives alone) = anytime.
    House of a friend who shares = 10 pm.
  • Landlines - certainly no later than 10pm unless its an emergency, but in relaity no later than 9pm unless it can't be helped.

Mobiles - fair game at most times.

Texts - are we being serious? What would life be if you didn't wake up to a drunken text sent late doors from someone every so often?!
  • What is this 'text' thing that you speak of?

An honourable chap would not dare to intrude into another fellow's soirée via the infernal 'Mr Marconi's celebrated telephonic apparatus'.

A brief note, handwritten in cursive style, and delivered by a grubby, yet trustworthy street urchin (for one ha' pence) should be the preferred method of communication - and that before the evening ignition of the gas mantle, I counsel.
  • No later than 9pm on a landline is reasonable.

If the joker who rang at 10.15pm was Mensa's Finest, than you were more than entilled to give him both barrels down the phone.
  • Our landline went at around 10-45 on a recent Thursday night. As you do at this hour, I approached the phone with an 'oh my god, what's happened' expression.

It was my good friend Skel, a few beers in, to inform me that we had won the quiz league. It probably could have waited.
  • edited April 2011
    Landline call not after 9
    Mobile call same
    Text- depends on who you are texting and how important it is. Also depends on whether the receiver is the type to keep their phone on/off or on silent. Would say up to 10.30pm is reasonable.
  • Sponsored links:

• I once worked with a guy who would only communicate during which he termed office hours.
    I dont mind friends and family ringing up at anytime if it is important
  • I never make work calls before 9:15am which is plenty of time for people to get up, get ready, etc but I do have colleagues who start ring people an hour earlier. At the other end of the day I won't call after 8:30ish and refuse to answer our landline after that as well (but will see who's called just to make sure it's not an emergency).

Can completely understand why you'd be pee'd off.
  • AFKA, am sure there is a rule for that in the KSFL handbook...

9.30-10pm landline cut off, 10pm mobile...it's up the owner if they want to turn the phone to silent or not.
  • On a similar note, if a mate drunkenly calls or texts you at silly o clock in the morning which wakes up your other half, is it universally agreed that this is in fact, 'your fault' !!
  • edited April 2011
    You'd think common sense would prevail, but it's less common than you'd like! I used to be on the committee of a car club and we had to tell the members not to call us after 9pm.

I think there's widespread agreement on here. Any landline phone calls we get after about 10pm we assume to be an emergency or important. Mobiles are different. Texts, anytime.
  • In younger days I lived in a shared house in Hackney.

One guy called Vic run a publishing business from the house so would constantly get calls starting "Is Vic there?" which will be funny to 80s punk and Monty Python fans.

Another guy in the house was head of some sort of wannabe Charles Manson cult leader who would have distraught followers calling him at all hours but he'd never get up to answer the phone. So we started telling the callers he's been re-born or been abducted by aliens or that he was conducting a human sacrifice and couldn't come to the phone. None of them seemed too surprised by this.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]On a similar note, if a mate drunkenly calls or texts you at silly o clock in the morning which wakes up your other half, is it universally agreed that this is in fact, 'your fault' !!

Certainly.

A few of us stayed in Stoke after Crewe away in the promotion year and left a load of messages on our gooner mates landline in the early hours.

Little did we know, his missus had family over and was sleeping on the couch right by the phone. She was not impressed!
  • Long day (vacationing) yesterday down here in San Diego, kids went to bed very late for them and finally in bed and drifting off at about midnight when we hear a phone ring once. Odd theres a phone in our condo, maybe someone called and realised they had the wrong number. Drift off again - 10 minutes in and it happens again. I get up and unplug the phone. Then it happens again and again. Going crazy, unplugged the alarm, the tv, the toaster. After about the 6th ring and past 1am, the Missus suddenly remembers she'd packed her new phone (even though its not set up for international calls) - it's the bloody phone letting us know it's battery is drained!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaargghhh!!!!
  • If I dont know the person anytime after the kids are in bed which is about 830 then the response will be frosty to say the least if its a pal they would only call the mobile as I don't answer the house phone after 830 without sounding like I am about to rip your head off.

A mate can ring me anytime up till midnight and I wouldn't be that annoyed.

My work phone is 24-7 so those who call it need to
  • Being a miserable bugger I don't like being called at the best of times. 9pm is a fair watershed I think though, unless you know there's young kiddies in the house.
    Texts? - Fair Game!!!! No way, I get seriously pee'd of with our kid lately who sits texting in the middle of film. I'm trying to concentrate and all I can hear is ping, ping ping in my kinnear. They should switch the whole network off when I'm watching the tele.