Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Charlton ?

Comments

• Options
    Mum's family from Charlton, Nan and Granded and various others from that side of the family used to watch them, my Great Uncle (by marriage rather than blood) was Wilson Lennox who played up front for us in the the late 1920's.

Had a brief flirtation with Watford as they were my local side until I was about 7. Charlton scarf for Xmas when I was about 8 combined with my nan taking me for a walk to see the mystical, overgrown Valley, viewed from The Heights, was enough to convince me and then a school trip to see penultimate game at Selhurst against Newcastle was enough to seal the deal. Back again with my dad the following week for the West Ham game.
  • Options
    Grandad was raised in the area and was a fan in the 40s.
    Him and my Dad a moved to Dageham in the 60s and they both used to cycle from Dagenham to Charlton every other week. My Dad used to think that football was an all day thing and was suprised when he realised how long a game actually took. My grandad became a black shep because he moved across the river and despite being there most weeks hardly ever saw the family tat still lived there.
    My Dad's brother had a trail with the club and still has the letter from Jimmy Seed. He became a reporter and occasinally reorted on the club.
    My Dad moved his family out to Essex and gave the 'gift' of Charlton to me and two brothers.
    There are now the beginnings of the fourth generation of fans with three nephews under 7 (not been to their first games yet).
    i have recently moved back to the area and feel like I've 'come home' to where my family is from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Coveredendchoir[/cite] during the late eighties my friend (Tangoflash) took me and his younger brother to the odd Charlton game at Selhurst Park and then ironically onto Upton Park.

And i'm still regretting it....;-)
  • Options
    Used my Stepdad's season ticket one Saturday when he couldn't take my little brother to a game. Watched football on Telly but was never fussed enough to go to a match.

Shamefully I can't remember who we were playing, but I was utterly blown away by the atmosphere. It was two seasons before the Play Off win so I guess I timed it pretty well! Was soon in work and could get my own season ticket and went to every game until kids came along which forced a 5/6 year break. Happily I now take my two boys 8 & 4 with their own Season Tickets. 8 Year old's first game was 3-2 home win vs Sheff Wed....2-0 down at half-time....they don't come much better than that.

He had his first away game on Sunday against Spurs, prior to that he used to declare himself a Charlton AND Spurs fan despite my demands that he was CAFC. He was screaming at them on Sunday...COME ON REIDY/JOE/WAGGY/JACKSON! When the third goal went in he covered his eyes and refused to watch for the next 15 minutes. Didn't speak to me until we got off the Tube at Greenwich....

"So....still a Spurs fan?"

"NO WAY!"

Loved Rufus, Kiely and Kinsella, now got boys who love Wagstaff, Jackson and Akpo! At least I have someone to share the misery (and sometimes joy) with!
  • Options
    First game 1959 - cannot remember who against, think it might have been Sunderland. Have been a regular for over 50 years. Will be attending a game this season with dad, son and grandson - so, 4 generations. ( anyone know of similar ).

Loved Firmani - Hales - Rufus - Simonsen - Mendonca and The tank.
    Hated Mullery - Noades - Millwall - Pardew

Best memory, 1998 final. Worst, selling Hales to Derby. Great goals - Hales at Southampton and Ray Treacy ( was it Derby?)..............
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: swedey[/cite]I'm a new convert, only "found" Charlton in late 2009 when I moved to Brockley from Sweden and wanted to support a football club reasonably local to me, and a friend of mine happened to live in Floyd Road. I didn't know much about English football at the time but remembered Charlton as one of the clubs that very rarely found their way onto TV when I was a kid, and also felt more drawn to the Valley than the Den. I started following the club online and then went along to the home game v Carlisle last spring. Then didn't make it back until Sheffield Wednesday last autumn and am now very fond of the club and jonesing to go to what matches I can afford and be around for. Living in New Cross-ish area I suppose I am in Millwall land but, eh, not interested.[/quote]

Good work Swedey, thats the spirit!!
  • Options
    Grandfather lived on Woolwich Road and went in to the Valley in 30's. Dad was born on Woolwich Road in 40's and another supporter.
    Also had family on Woolwich Road, Charlton Lane backing onto the terrace and around SE London spreading out towards Chislehurst, all who showed varying degrees of commitment. We moved to darkest Hampshire when I was a toddler. First game early 70's, then regular in the 80's while studying in London.
    Introduced CatJunior to the Valley as a 4th generation Addick first season after relegation from the Prem and he looks like he's well and truly hooked......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]First game 1959 - cannot remember who against, think it might have been Sunderland. Have been a regular for over 50 years. Will be attending a game this season with dad, son and grandson - so, 4 generations. ( anyone know of similar ).

Loved Firmani - Hales - Rufus - Simonsen - Mendonca and The tank.
    Hated Mullery - Noades - Millwall - Pardew

Best memory, 1998 final. Worst, selling Hales to Derby. Great goals - Hales at Southampton and Ray Treacy ( was it Derby?)..............

My Dad's first game was Sunderland in '61 i think. We got him a programme from the game for his 60th birthday.
  • Options
    I posted this in early 2009 in another thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Right then...this is it... I feel the time has come for me to affirm my commitment.... I'm in: Charlton for life on Charlton Life.

Never in my time supporting the club have I seen us sink so low.... but I find my support unwavering and the affinity with Charlton actually stronger than ever

I've flitted around the net over the last couple of years checking out different forums and message boards..... signed up and posted on a few..... but never felt I really belonged on any of 'em..... I signed up as a member here about a year ago.... and purely lurked through 2008..... but our current plight has brought me closer in some way... I have felt the need to connect with my fellow addicks like never before...and through this site I have done so... and felt some comfort and consolation.....

People call me Siv.... I'm 31 (now 33) and have been supporting Charlton since my old man (a Charlton supporter) told me it was about time I got into football, bought me a Mexico '86 sticker album and educated me about Charlton. I grew up down on the south coast near Pompey... and so everyone at school either supported them or Liverpool (80s yeah). I got massive stick...but never once did it bother me.

Didn't catch many games back then..... understandably enough.... but the old man took me to Selhurst a couple of times.... and back to the Valley for a look. I have some great photos of me looking over a wall at the weeds.... and also in the North stand. I joined the supporters club I think... and subscribed to Voice of the Valley, which was GREAT for a young addick in isolation btw... I seem to remember writing to Lennie Lawrence asking if I could come and train with the lads and maybe get a free kit (I really didn't understand about the financial situation it seems).

I remember going to Upton Park with my Dad and half-brother who was back visiting from the states to see a 'home' game at some point. Charlton is defo in the family. Dad grew up in S.E. London/Kent...and raised his first batch of kids locally inc. the half-brother. The eldest half-sister married a palace bloke (oh dear) but one of the younger ones married a true charlton-blooded male. They are our strongest regular link to the club now and both have season tickets for themselves and 3 of their 4 kids. They sit down by/in the disabled supporters area as one of the nephews is in a wheel chair. They feel well catered for I think...... only bad note about them is the fact that their youngest daughter goes to school with Warnocks daughter, has become her best friend and goes with her to bloody Palace games... couldn't believe the pics I was sent over Christmas with her face painted up in red/blue with a freakin' eagle on it!!!!

Anyway....other games I remember were regular fixtures against Pompey at Fratton Park (standing on the uncovered end on one side of the partition fence with my 'mates' from school on the other side hurling abuse at me to the bemusement of surrounding fellow addicks)... I remember Robert Lee being superb in about 91 I think! And then there was that game in '92..... back to the Valley...... and to top it all - against Pompey! I thought I had no chance of a ticket.... but applied anyway... I think I was a member of the supports club or something...and that's what did it...coz I remember the thrill of getting the ticket in the post and realising I was going home to watch a game. Getting on the bus outside my house to start my journey up to the Valley sticks firmly in my mind...decked up in red scarf and a beaming smile...... I was 15 and on my own up to London no worries.... got to the ground and found my way into the West stand......

and the rest is a blur..... empty east side.... colin walsh goal.... final whistle......then the journey home with loads of people at waterloo asking me how we had got on and wishing the club well (nice!)

drifted away from Charlton a bit when I went to uni from 96-99.... but was at Wembley for the play-off final with my dad, half-bro (flown in from states) and aforementioned half-bro in law....what a game...what a game....am glad I made it..... and the buzz and teh higging or strangers and tears from an old old old man behind me will stay with me for the rest of my days....

99-00 was the season that I felt the furthest from the team....I went of to do work on organic farms in Sicily for most of the season (Nov-June) and only went to the nearest town to go online once a week.... I remember being astounded at how well we were doing.... but not really knowing much about it... or being too emotionally involved.... I know we stuttered over the line... and I thought 'typical drama' but perhaps our most successful playing season since I have supported the club was when I felt the most distant...

Since 2000 I have lived mostly in Asia teaching English etc. Played with a team called Phoenix in Taiwan (hence the login name...ok....ok...it is quite north american... but there were many North Americans on the team...and Phoenix fitted my Charlton credentials quite nicely thank you) and spread the word to the lads...

...am sure many of you who have lived around predominantly non-CAFC supporting communities have the feeling that when old friends hear about Charlton they will think of you... and in terms of both my lives down Pompey way and in Taiwan am sure this is the case

Have seen Charlton shirts in weird places around Asia on my travels too...and always make sure to look for knock off shirts in Bangkok when I am there (had a Redbus one...and Viglen one... but nothing for years and years now)

and now I am in China.... and will be for the foreseeable.....

Charlton are at a low ebb... and my lady (Taiwanese) asks me if I have considered changing my team.....

.... and it really hits home.... that this is for life. There is no changing allegiences... and my support and love of Charlton is not contingent on success on the pitch (but some would be nice)

I'm in this for life.... and for now Charlton Life is providing me with a strong connection to what is going on back there....

... I thank you all for that....

Cheers,

Siv
  • Options
    Doesn't matter that it's copy pasted from the old thread, great story, Siv.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    appreciated your own account of arrival in addick-land too, pal!
    you made a good choice
  • Options
    I am another late bloomer, first game I attended was in 05 or 06. My memory isn't great but I remember Curbs last match and beating Man City 1-0 on my 16th birthday.
    My Dad was a Millwall fan in the early 90's. He took me to a few games but I remember very little as I was quite young. I would probably still be Millwall if it wasn't for the fact that he one day decided to support Liverpool instead. Can't blame him for that.
    Of course I never got to go to a Liverpool match and as I got older I lost interest in football. Watched international matches but never had a club I could call my own. That was until a friend of mine mentioned she and her family all had Charlton season tickets and there was usually at least one spare. I jumped at the chance to watch football live again, the way it should be.
    I loved everything about it. The atmosphere, the blazing red and white, the feeling of walking into the east stand and seeing the whole stadium stretched around you.
    Money issues mean I have yet to buy my own ST but so far this season I haven't missed a single home game. And next year I plan to take the plunge and get my first ST.
    I still get a chill walking into the east stand, I hope I always will.
  • Options
    Born and bred. Simple.
  • Options
    My dad first took me to see us against nottingham forest in the old first division around 10 years go. I dont remember anything from the game, other than i sat in the east stand and that the walk down to the bottom rows felt really long and steep.
    When your dad supports charlton, and your grandad did, then it makes it a no brainer. However, having spent my whole life in west ham land (always an essex boy) i've always had a soft spot for them, such that when my dad stopped taking at around 14/15 i got a season ticket at upton park with my west ham mates. I'd always love going to see premiership football (having never really experienced us in the top flight) and seeing the worlds greatest players. I still went charlton everyweek though, and if they clashed i'd make sure i was down the valley. Anyway, im now a season ticket holder in the covered end, along with one friend who ive converted from west ham, and another mate who is a tottenham fan but nevers goes white hart lane and loves seeing lower league football (infact sunday was the first time he'd been there in over a year, and he was in the away end aswell).
    The past two years have been my first proper seasons as a football fan, i've been to twenty new grounds in that time period and love every second of it, all thanks to my grandad.
  • Options
    My dad started going in 1948 as he was living in Blackheath and thought he'd soon get to see us play at Wembley - such was his luck! He took me to a few games in the late 60's but I was more interested in the Hammers in those days - the lure of Moore Hurst and Peters was too great but for some reason when I was playing at the park in my West Ham kit I was always a certain Harry Redknapp! I remember my dad taking me to a couple of frendlies against West Ham at the Valley and sitting in the west stand in my West Ham hat and scarf and rosette. He clearly took it better than I would these days if it were my kids!!

As I grew up I wanted to go to games regularly and my dad bought me my first Charlton season ticket. It was the 74-75 season when we won promotion to the old second division - I was lucky enough to have supported us during the great years of Pecock, Powell, Hales, Flanagan. I've been a season ticket holder even since.
  • Options
    Although my Dad was a born and bred Man United fan, because we lived in Bexleyheath and i was starting to get a real interest in football at the age of 6, my Dad wanted to take me for a match. He talked about taking me to Charlton because they were a 'friendly' club and he always liked our style of football. So he managed to get cheap tickets for Charlton V Blackburn 2001 which ended up 2-0 Blackburn, but i loved it soo much i wanted to go again, so a week later my Dad got tickets for the game against Ipswich, which we won 3-2.
    I got my first season-ticket in 2004-05 season, and since our relegation in 2006 i have had one since and still to this day my Dad has only missed 4 games that i have attended that i haven't so he has Charlton in his heart as well :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I used to live in Forest Hill SE23, didn't like Palace, didn't like Millwall. Then some team called Charlton started playing at Selhurst in 1985 (I think) and me (aged 13) and my Mum went to watch a couple of games and were hooked. My dad was away a lot and hated football but god bless my Mum she took me religously! I became a Junior Red straight away and my favourite early player was Johnny Humphrey, I thought he was great and I can honestly never remember him having a bad game. Now at 38 years old I still go with my Mum to watch Charlton and she still has my little Junior Red badge on my old scarf that she takes to every game, ah bless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I used to live in Forest Hill SE23, didn't like Palace, didn't like Millwall. Then some team called Charlton started playing at Selhurst in 1985 (I think) and me (aged 13) and my Mum went to watch a couple of games and were hooked. My dad was away a lot and hated football but god bless my Mum she took me religously! I became a Junior Red straight away and my favourite early player was Johnny Humphrey, I thought he was great and I can honestly never remember him having a bad game. Now at 38 years old I still go with my Mum to watch Charlton and she still has my little Junior Red badge on my old scarf that she takes to every game, ah bless.

Lovely story mate.
  • Options
    Family - my Dad and Granddad....

My first game was at Upton Park when Charlton were playin their home games there. I was about 7 or 8. My father took me overseas to see my first game, when he had already been involved as a director of the club. I dont remember the result. After the match me and my dad got to kick about the pitch and i have a classic photo of the day which to this day is still one of my earliest and most cherist memories.

Since that first game i have been to about 50-60 games watching Charlton Athletic, all while travelling overseas from Chicago to London. When i was 12, my youth club from Chicago travelled to London and we took PK's against Bob Bolder at The Valley during a halftime break against Port Vale. My favorite game was the comeback game at the Valley and the most emotional game i have ever attended was the playoff final win over sunderland at Wembley...

I am Charlton Through and Through
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Great reading these mine is mostly the same as me little brother nla started with the old man in the late 70s up to about 83, then stopped going until I was at eaglesfield in 86 when a little group of us started going, was there through the selhurst years started going away regularly from 89 had a great laugh met some great people a lot who post on here. I Remember nlas first away game out of london at sunderland he was a mouthy
    little sod then (some might say he still is lol) he was crapping him self when a group of sunderland fans from the stand next to the away end that he had been giving it too started to come up into the away end. We never got in too much trouble as he said in his post. Still go now but now you will find me selling jackpot tickets in the family enclosure at home games and I do a few away when I can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My dad and my mum's side are all chelsea, they grew up in S.W London.

But my first proper football match I ever went to was against Barnsley I think. I dont remember how old I was.

One of my dad's mates who he worked with in the London Fire Brigade was charlton so we went with him and his son.

It was in the early 80's I think. Anyways, we were 3- 0 down inside 25 mins, and I was in the old covered end. The ground was not the one we see today, the massive east terrace looked like it went forever!

We ended up winning 5 -3, and I just loved it!

i went sporadicly after that, the old man wasn't that keen, but I got there when I could when his mate Terry went.

There then was a lad in my year and my class in secondary school who was Charlton, so we went down quite a bit including last game at the Valley, and went frequently to Selhurst to watch the boys. I didnt go to Upton Park, and I kind of stopped going for a while after leaving school at 17. 3 years later I moved to Oz for a years working visa and Have been here ever since.
    I guess what rekindled my love for the club was reading the result of the playoff final over here, on my birthday, 27th may, and years later Tel's post on here for addick supporters in Oz to get in touch.

I just love my club.
  • Options
    My story is a bit weird. I'm from Swindon but go to uni in Aberystwyth. I play football manager a lot and randomly managed Charlton on the 2007 edition. I kinda liked Charlton and was at a stage when I was getting into football and didn't really want to follow any of the big four and had always followed but never really felt drawn to. I then started following their results in real life, was disappointed when they got relegated and by the end of the 2007/2008 season I was a supporter, got to my first match in 08/09, 21st March 2009 vs Preston, 0-0 draw but was great to get to the valley. Due to money and where I live I am forced to listen to every match on Charlton Player but I did make last season's play-off first leg at Swindon (in the home fans...) and will be at Walsall for the penultimate match of this season, already looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Hate to admit it but was a gooner as a child before losing all interest in football from the age of about 11. This stayed the case until my later teens when i started to get the bug again and decided to start following a team within reasonable distance from my hometown (Gravesend). Didn't like Gills (and still don't). This happened to co-incide with me starting a new job on the Maritime ind est on woolwich rd, behind Mackro's. As i now worked in charlton and they had a top-flight team, i thought it was the ideal choice as i worked saturday mornings anyway so no need to travel to home games. The problem with this is that nobody told me that charlton now played their football in south norwood. Bloody typical. I now had to travel to games after all. Despite this, I decided to go and watch them play their next home game against Norwich and seeing us beat 0-1. Surely this would deter me and send me to Islington to pick up where my young self left the game behind? NO. Too late. Despite all this, i had caught the "addicktitus" bug which I am told is a life-time affliction and my life has never been the same since.
  • Options
    Although i was born in Kent all of my Grans brothers and sisters lived in Leytonstone and were WHU fans, but when the Munich air crash occured i heard about a player called Bobby Charlton surviving the crash and had heard of a club called Charlton Athletic and so the the love affair started in 1958? even though Dave Webb of Chelsea was a distant relative the Addicks remain the only ones for me, for better and for worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]...i worked saturday mornings anyway so no need to travel to home games. The problem with this is that nobody told me that charlton now played their football in south norwood. Bloody typical. ....
    I know what you mean! I deliberately chose a Uni in London so I could rekindle interest, go to home games and, being an impoverished student, have enough relatives 2 mins from the ground to get some tea. I don't know what annoyed me the most - moving from the Valley or missing out on a free meal! Didn't stop me from trekking down to Selhurst tho' (and I even bought many a burger from the kiosk thingy by the steps for the Arthur Waite terrace), then back to the Union bar to swap match reports with mates who'd been to other London games. Happy days.
  • Options
    It's all my Dad's fault.
  • Options
    same oggy, and his dads before him...

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=56

heres my story... written all the way back in 06... crikey time is flying!!
  • Options
    Dad, Grandad, Uncles were always Charlton, they took me to my first game circa 1960, cant remember who against, but can remember how awsome the Valley looked.
    I was born in Plumstead, lived in New Eltham just a few hundred yards from Sparrows Lane and was taught tennis by KP at Crown Woods during the summer term (one term I think). Anyway getting back to when I was a kid I always stood on the old East Terrace down by the railings, while my Dad, Grandad and Uncles stood halfway up. As I grew up, I still went with my dad and uncles but my grandad stopped going around 1966 as he had the honour of becoming Mayor of Woolwich/Greenwich and he had 'events' he had to attend. He then had a heart-attack a few years later and became an armchair supporter until he passed away in the early 80's. I moved from the East Terrace when I was about 13 and went to the mighty covered end, great fun....but still met up with my dad and uncles to get a lift home!!
    As time marched on I continued to go until I joined the Army, then could only watch on TV either Match of the Day or The Big Match...always had the pee taken out of me as I was the only addicks supporter in my Regiment. I left the Army in the mid-70's and came back home and was able to watch as many home/away games as I could.
    Now many years later and having lived in various places in the UK, worked abroad in Asia, India and The Middle East and now a little down on my luck, in a financial sense, I am unable to get to a matches, but I am still Charlton through and through - always have been and always will be. I come on this forum as often as I can (daily at least) and feel in touch with all thats happening.
    My Dad, Uncles etc have all passed on (Uncles ashes scattered in front of the covered end goal) but thats where some of my fondest memories of them will always be ......at the Valley on a cold Saturdy afternoon watching players like Bob Curtis, Phil Warman, Paul Went, Matt Tees, Hales/Flanagan, Colin Powell, my old mate Richie Bowman and of course Dick Tydeman.
    I hope soon to get to a game, see the ground and pass my respects to some members of my family.
    In the meantime I'll continue to support from afar and still imagine those early days as a kid of turning up for a game full of anticipation, the smell of roasted horse chestnuts from outside the ground, the peanut seller in a white coat walking round the outside of the railings, the cheers when the addicks scored, the near abject silence when the opposition did, outsinging the away fans when I progressed to the covered end and then the analysis of the game as we all left to go home while others had their ears transfixed to a trannie radio to hear the other scores............... as though it were yesterday!!!
    I may be away from Charlton......but Charlton will NEVER be away from me.
  • Options
    Charlton all comes from my dad, so I've got him to blame. I was another 80's kid who "supported" Liverpool, or namely Ian Rush. I had the stick albums, even a photo of me holding my completed Panini Liverpool page looking all proud (cringe when I see it now). My dad was strangely really patient with me. He never tried to push Charlton on me, just kept me informed as to how they were doing. I remember the play-offs with Peter Shirtliff scoring those two goals late on. We were listening to Radio 2 and dad wouldnt speak or move and i wanted to play, being an annoying 11 year old. He seemed really down and I asked him why and he told me Charlton were about to be relegated from Division 1. Of course I was ok, Liverpool were a good team, but I wanted daddy to be happy so i sat with him and crossed my fingers. When we equalised my dad jumped all over the place, and when the second went in he cried, and I can honestly say I've only seen him cry 3 times in my life (I'm 36 now).
    Bizarrely I wasn't converted that night, it wasnt until he took me to see Liverpool play Charlton at Selhurst the next season that it started to happen. I think we were thrashed 3 or 4 nil and I told my dad I didnt like it and it wasn't fair. He said "that's what its like for a Charlton fan son", and I was sold. Then Paul Mortimer came along, THAT goal against Norwich was scored, and I was cured at last. Liverpool were gone and my life of stress began.
    Even now I can't believe I supported Liverpool when I was younger, but I suppose it's just part of life and growing up. As my dad always says when i ask him "I knew you'd come good in the end son".

ps....my little boy is 2 years old, and there will be no softly softly from me. I make sure I show him the Charlton badge at least once a day and always tell him that Man Utd are evil and bad. That should do the trick!
  • Options
    Born and raised in Denmark, I moved to London in 1999 and stayed there for 8 years.
    I spent the vast majority of my time in South London.
    I've always been a firm believer in supporting the local team, and as it was a choice between either Charlton or Millwall, it was an easy one.
    My first game at The Valley was when we lost 4-2 to Spurs in the FA Cup (after being up 2-0).
    Apart from the Addicks, I support my local team from Denmark, Odense (where I was born).