Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    So, with all that moolah being bandied about is Jenkinson now our friend..?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If Jenkinson does sign for Arsenal then I bet he will be well pissed off that he has already opted for Finland at international level!

Any youngster going through Arsenal has a very decent chance of getting an England call-up.

I think you can switch if you haven't played a full international.

You are right.
  • Options
    Even if he was still starting for us and was under contract for a few years I would have been delighted with a million for him. Quite surprised if that's true really.
  • Options
    It may be that they will offer a fee rather than risking going to the tribunal. £1m would be good if it's true.
  • Options
    I note that the ever sharp Daily Mirror thinks that Jenkinson is a left back - worth bearing in mind the next time they say something elese about Charlton.
  • Options
    Depends on how the £1m is made up and it does not say we have accepted. It maybe £200 k up front, £50 k on first first team appearance, £250k after 20 full appearances, £150k is he becomes a full international for Finland or £500 k if he becomes a full international for England in a competitive game, suddenly £1 mill looks a long way away.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hope the deal is structured in our favour. Up to a £1m means nothing. we get £50K upfront and if he ever plays for England (meaning he will by then be worth £10M) we get the other £950K.

Shame he is leaving as I think he will be a good player, I don't have too much of a problem with him given he will be joining arsenal - who would genuinely turn that opportunity down? Won't follow his career after just 7 games though and the Charlton.

Another poor Parky decision - 12 month contract and never played him but now he is good enough for Arsenal...whereas Francis got 2 years and what is he good for?
  • Options
    I should think 1m is the very minimum we should receive after the years and years of effort that Charlton have put into this young man's development.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Another poor Parky decision - 12 month contract and never played him but now he is good enough for Arsenal...whereas Francis got 2 years and what is he good for?

Yes because I'm sure the manager sits down and personally negotiates all contracts and ensures they fit his own financial constraints with no influence from anyone else.

Must be Parky's fault again!
  • Options
    I guess he won't be on our table at the sponsors dinner then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was he in the draw..?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I guess he won't be on our table at the sponsors dinner then?

He will, just in an Arsenal tracksuit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite] Another poor Parky decision - 12 month contract and never played him but now he is good enough for Arsenal...whereas Francis got 2 years and what is he good for?

Absolutely nothing say it again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    "The tall teenager"

If that is the most they can find to say about him then it's cleary written by a journo who has never seen him play, know nothing about him and is simply looking at his stats.
    It's one thing the journo not having done a lot of research about a league one player (although he could have really got his favoured position right), he also believes that Arsenal have two players already recognized in that position (which Jenkinson doesn't play in) - which suggests he is unaware that Traore is on loan at Juventus and has been starting for them this year and doing rather well. British tabloid football journalism really is a shit heap. Do these people not have google?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If Jenkinson does sign for Arsenal then I bet he will be well pissed off that he has already opted for Finland at international level!

Any youngster going through Arsenal has a very decent chance of getting an England call-up.

Sometimes even if you have - Thiago Motta recently played and scored for Italy having already turned out for Brazil.
  • Options
    Danny Wellbeck can still play for Ghana as the England international he played in wasnt competitive
  • Options

Really? What, even if you play U-21's like he is apparently close to doing?

I remember Tim Cahill struggling to play for Australia because he had played for Samoa as a 14 year-old, but maybe the rules have changed.
  • Options
    As long as you haven't played a competitive full international you can switch.
  • Options
    The rules have changed in the last few years, as is said above Welbeck can still play for Ghana as last week was only a friendly whilst Lee Camp made his debut for N Ireland when he has played a few times for the England u21s.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]So, with all that moolah being bandied about is Jenkinson now our friend..?

I'll be your friend ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/9447524.stm

I know Plymouth are in a much worse position than us, but seems whatever happens we've done a lot better than they have.

£150k for one of their most promising young players. Gone to Southampton but was linked with Prem clubs.
  • Options
    Disgusting that clubs like Southampton were allowed to stay in the football league.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I guess he won't be on our table at the sponsors dinner then?[/quote]

He will, just in an Arsenal tracksuit[/quote]

Bet that table will be a bundle of fun
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I guess he won't be on our table at the sponsors dinner then?

I asked yesterday and was told he would be there but without doubting the person who told me we shall just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Would be a little shocked if he was there, irregardless of him having to be there as he was sponsored, as it just leaves open a situation that could get messy if certain irate fans attend. That said, you could say the same about many of the players who will be there. Could be an interesting evening!
  • Options
    Surely the whole Jenkinson situation is a product of the way the Club found itself before the takeover. There was no spare money therefore how could they offer Jenkinson a lucrative longer contract. The lad could easily see that the club was in difficulties, his contract was coming to an end so he looked elsewhere. By the time our new owners took over he, or his agent, was possibly talking to other clubs. We were playing him out of position and we have 2 other RB and Arsenal wanted him - there is no contest.

I don't blame the lad, especially as some reckon he is an Arsenal supporter anyway, and wish him good luck.

So those of you criticising him just ask yourselves what you would do in a similar situation, forget loyalty as we fans are the only loyal ones, to him it is a job and any of us would want the best training with the best prospects, to Jenkinson that is at Arsenal.
  • Options
    Agree, and if he really is an Arsenal fan he can't turn them down. Even more so if he is getting a 4 year deal.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think it is our duty as fans to hate and boo him at every opportunity for the rest of his career. The message needs to go to young players that this will happen if they take the dark side/route. This means we should also show total support and encouragement to Jonjo at every opportunity throughout his career for the same reasons. I mean, If he is good enough, he would still end up at Arsenal, just we would get our fair reward for the part we played in his development.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think it is our duty as fans to hate and boo him at every opportunity for the rest of his career. The message needs to go to young players that this will happen if they take the dark side/route. This means we should also show total support and encouragement to Jonjo at every opportunity throughout his career for the same reasons. I mean, If he is good enough, he would still end up at Arsenal, just we would get our fair reward for the part we played in his development.

Agree. Shows how fickle fans are sometimes. One minute players are slated for not signing new contracts and when they do decide to further their careers and the club gets more money than the players are worth, the fans commend the board for doing a good job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think it is our duty as fans to hate and boo him at every opportunity for the rest of his career. The message needs to go to young players that this will happen if they take the dark side/route. This means we should also show total support and encouragement to Jonjo at every opportunity throughout his career for the same reasons. I mean, If he is good enough, he would still end up at Arsenal, just we would get our fair reward for the part we played in his development.

Lol that will have them quaking in their boots! You mena that one time in some minor cup when we might get Arsenal we'll boo him .. ooo no better stsay at the valley.

It will be very interesting to see if Semedo and Racon have signed pre contract agreements and IF they have why the clu8b have not thrown them to the wolves in the way they have a kid.