Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

solly signs jenkinson declines

Comments

• Options
    Jenks didnt get any abuse at the end of the game. Thr kids were clapped off,the abuse as they put it was more directed at senior pros
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Thanks for the article IA. The key words in that are: "...distraught at the abuse the players received...".

Mmmmm.........so if he signs for a BIG Club and gets booed during a game, or his teaam gets booed off, he's off again? Needs to grow up quickly.........
    Perhaps the penthouse flat, sports car, flash watch and cash filled bank account will compensate ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]Jenks didnt get any abuse at the end of the game. Thr kids were clapped off,the abuse as they put it was more directed at senior pros
    Glad to hear it, but I'm not convinced that as a player that would necessarily be apparent. There are plenty of arguments on here after matches about who was and wasn't booed. Anyway, the article doesn't say the abuse that he received, it said "the players". Perhaps he felt he didn't want to be in a position where that could happen to him.
  • Options
    Fair point but after the performance they put in on sat i think they deserved it. Its a shame if a player with a great future makes a decision like thatt on the back of hundred people moaning. If that really is the reason,which i doubt, he has to grow up because if he does go to one of the big four his every move will be analysed by the media,so he will need thicker skin
  • Options
    So - a career in Arsenal reserves beckons.

Good luck, off you go.

Now then where were we?
  • Options
    Very different to Parker who had a long term contract at a Premiership club. Jenkinson had a few months left a struggling League One team. Probably due to the takeover his contract wasn't extended last year and it wasn't done before he got in the first team. It's a gamble: on the positive side for the club if he didn't make the grade we could send him on his way in June and that would have been that, but its a risk that he turns out to be useful and walks to a bigger club. I don't think we can really play the disloyal card because it cuts both ways. Lots of young players get binned at the end of their contract without anyone shedding a tear (other than them) so if we've chosen not to extend his agreement at least 6-12 months prior to his contract expiry then it must cut both ways. It's turned out he's rather useful and he's now in a position to profit from the fact he doesn't have a contract and probably thinks he's quite justified as we'd have merrily sent him out the door in a few months time if it suited us. Thats the price we pay for maintaining flexibility in contracts.
  • Options
    Dont beleive for one minute a few fans booing is going to have caused him not to sign - lazy jounalism to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Dont beleive for one minute a few fans booing is going to have caused him not to sign - lazy jounalism to me.

Well, I'll emphasise I don't know all the facts anymore than anyone else on here .....but unless this rumour has it's source only on Charlton Life, maybe there's no smoke without fire?

Whatever your opinion, nobody on here has yet heard anything directly from the player himself.
    Perhaps, as a couple of others have already suggested, there's more twists and turns to come from this saga?
  • Options
    this delightful video - the full length feature. I cant listen to loudly at work but if you fast forward to the last 2 mins. You can get an idea.

Go powell...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Dont beleive for one minute a few fans booing is going to have caused him not to sign - lazy jounalism to me.

Well, I'll emphasise I don't know all the facts anymore than anyone else on here .....but unless this rumour has it's source only on Charlton Life, maybe there's no smoke without fire?

Whatever your opinion, nobody on here has yet heard anything directly from the player himself.
    Perhaps, as a couple of others have already suggested, there's more twists and turns to come from this saga?
    I'm not a journalist, but surely if you had a source you'd mention it? "Is understood to be" or "a close friend confirmed" is short hand for journalistic speculation. As you say nobody has heard from the player himself (an active twitterer) and that clearly includes the journalist, as he would have a quote in there to back up. It's a local newspaper story about League One player with less than 10 games. He knows nobody will look at it too carefully.

Even if he did give that as a reason, it's utter drivel. He was so upset about the treatment of his friends, colleagues and manager by a few idiots that he's going to turn his back on them and join some outfit that fans will never boo - presumably the Harlem Globetrotters?
  • Options
    Whilst not wanting to start this debate again, surely the club must accept some blame here if they offer the player a 12 month contract as a first year professional, he then delvelops as they hope and he then gets seduced by a bigger club and offers of more money, resulting in the club getting very little back. Surely if the club offered a longer initial contract, at least they will make money should another club come in for him. I wonder if they will learn from the Jenkinson situation or this could well happen again next year. The club needs to protect their assets. Lets face it, buying a 19 year old out of a 2nd year contract ,if its not working out, will not break the bank, compared to what they could lose by a player being poached.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Whilst not wanting to start this debate again, surely the club must accept some blame here if they offer the player a 12 month contract as a first year professional, he then delvelops as they hope and he then gets seduced by a bigger club and offers of more money, resulting in the club getting very little back. Surely if the club offered a longer initial contract, at least they will make money should another club come in for him. I wonder if they will learn from the Jenkinson situation or this could well happen again next year. The club needs to protect their assets. Lets face it, buying a 19 year old out of a 2nd year contract ,if its not working out, will not break the bank, compared to what they could lose by a player being poached.

this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Whilst not wanting to start this debate again, surely the club must accept some blame here if they offer the player a 12 month contract as a first year professional, he then delvelops as they hope and he then gets seduced by a bigger club and offers of more money, resulting in the club getting very little back. Surely if the club offered a longer initial contract, at least they will make money should another club come in for him. I wonder if they will learn from the Jenkinson situation or this could well happen again next year. The club needs to protect their assets. Lets face it, buying a 19 year old out of a 2nd year contract ,if its not working out, will not break the bank, compared to what they could lose by a player being poached.

this.

That's as maybe but we need to remember the genuinely perilous financial situation the club was in a year ago. Richard Murray was quoted as saying after the takeover at least he wouldn't have to worry about where the players wages would be found. Perhaps we just couldn't afford to take a punt on Jenkinson at that time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

this.

That's as maybe but we need to remember the genuinely perilous financial situation the club was in a year ago. Richard Murray was quoted as saying after the takeover at least he wouldn't have to worry about where the players wages would be found. Perhaps we just couldn't afford to take a punt on Jenkinson at that time.

Thats a fair point, but will the club learn from it? Hopefully we will not be reading the same thread this time next year!
  • Options
    It's evident that Jenkinson has only made his mark in recent months and has come a long way since he was offered his existing contract.

We now have the benefit of hindsight, but if he'd appeared to be such a shining jewel a year ago ..... IMO he would no doubt have been offered a longer contract.
  • Options
    People need to calm down a bit here, Jenkinson looks an OK player but no more than that.

He is nowhere near the Rufus/Bowyer/Shelvey types who - quite literally - were obviously going to be top-class players after having made only one or two appearances.

Jenkinson's game is steady at best, there is nothing outstanding there to suggest he is Premiership class.

I suspect he knows this too or why would he opt for Finland over England?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]People need to calm down a bit here, Jenkinson looks an OK player but no more than that.

He is nowhere near the Rufus/Bowyer/Shelvey types who - quite literally - were obviously going to be top-class players after having made only one or two appearances.

Jenkinson's game is steady at best, there is nothing outstanding there to suggest he is Premiership class.

I suspect he knows this too or why would he opt for Finland over England?

The lure of international football can be quite enticing. I always said if I'd never make it as an England player I'd happily play for my second nationality, Brazil. Oh shi....
  • Options
    Two points on this:

First - as with all transactions this comes down to whether two parties can agree terms - we don't know what is stopping him signing whether it is not attractive financially or whether the lure of Prem clubs is stopping him signing.

Second - After the boo boys behaviour at Dagenham - how can we expect to play the loyalty card?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Whilst not wanting to start this debate again, surely the club must accept some blame here if they offer the player a 12 month contract as a first year professional, he then delvelops as they hope and he then gets seduced by a bigger club and offers of more money, resulting in the club getting very little back. Surely if the club offered a longer initial contract, at least they will make money should another club come in for him. I wonder if they will learn from the Jenkinson situation or this could well happen again next year. The club needs to protect their assets. Lets face it, buying a 19 year old out of a 2nd year contract ,if its not working out, will not break the bank, compared to what they could lose by a player being poached.[/quote]

this.[/quote]

That's as maybe but we need to remember the genuinely perilous financial situation the club was in a year ago. Richard Murray was quoted as saying after the takeover at least he wouldn't have to worry about where the players wages would be found. Perhaps we just couldn't afford to take a punt on Jenkinson at that time.[/quote]

Equally you could argue that Jenkinson was taking a punt that the club would not go into administration or have issues paying wages.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]People need to calm down a bit here, Jenkinson looks an OK player but no more than that.

I suspect he knows this too or why would he opt for Finland over England?[/quote]

The lure of international football can be quite enticing. I always said if I'd never make it as an England player I'd happily play for my second nationality, Brazil. Oh shi....[/quote]

I reckon that at 54, I can kiss my England chances away, but still reckon there is a chance of a call up to India
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]but still reckon there is a chance of a call up to India

I got a call up from India today ......... MBNA credit card.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol. Check your balance
  • Options
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will sign Charlton's young left-back Carl Jenkinson. Arsenal will pay a fee that will rise to over £1m for the teenager, who has played a handful of first team games for the Addicks but is out of contract at the end of the season. - Daily Mirror
  • Options
    Wonder what the starting fee will be
  • Options
    So if true Parkinson is scouting for Arsenal that where the rumours come from.
  • Options
    Reported in press today that he has 4 year contract............
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Potentially over £1m is a good deal for us if true considering the number of games he played and the fact that we only gave him a 1 year deal.

He might turn out to be a Prem regular, on the fringes of the England squad (or regular for Finland...), but no guarantee he'll even make it in the Prem.

Wenger lands Charlton left back

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is signing Charlton's young left back Carl Jenkinson - and putting him on a four-year contract.

The tall teenager, who has made just a handful of appearances for the League One outfit, is quitting to go to the Emirates at the end of his deal in the summer.

Jenkinson was born in the London area but has played for both England and Finland at youth level. He is seen as a potential first-teamer with the Gunners, who have Gael Clichy and Kieran Gibbs in the position.

Arsenal will pay Charlton a fee that will rise to over £1 million for his signature rather than go to a tribunal. Jenkinson is likely to stay under Wenger's wing next season but could be loaned out during the campaign.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Arsenal-sign-Charlton-left-back-Carl-Jenkinson-article720352.html
  • Options
    If Jenkinson does sign for Arsenal then I bet he will be well pissed off that he has already opted for Finland at international level!

Any youngster going through Arsenal has a very decent chance of getting an England call-up.
  • Options
    "The tall teenager"

If that is the most they can find to say about him then it's cleary written by a journo who has never seen him play, know nothing about him and is simply looking at his stats.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]"The tall teenager"

If that is the most they can find to say about him then it's cleary written by a journo who has never seen him play, know nothing about him and is simply looking at his stats.
    Which would be why they think he's a left back...

Quick look on somewhere like wikipedia gives you his age, height, appearance stats and a bit about him playing for England and Finland.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If Jenkinson does sign for Arsenal then I bet he will be well pissed off that he has already opted for Finland at international level!

Any youngster going through Arsenal has a very decent chance of getting an England call-up.

I think you can switch if you haven't played a full international.