Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top five Billys

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bonnie prince Billy
    Billy don't be a hero
    Billy can
    Puffin Billy
  • Options
    Billy Lee Riley
  • Options
    Puffin Billy? Is that a kind of seabird type Billy? And TMA no Willies allowed.

OK no idea about BT Billy boys Henners, nor Billy Riley.

and Fanny Is Billy the Feeesh really Big Mouth Billy Bass?
  • Options
    Billy Lee Riley - rockabilly great, have a listen...

http://www.wat.tv/video/flyin-saucers-rock-roll-billy-2zaen_2xqax_.html
  • Options
    Billy Butler
    Billy Preston
    Billy Fury
  • Options
    Billy Hunt
  • Options
    Billy Butlin
    Billy Ray Cyrus
  • Options
    Billy Liar
    Billy Jean King
  • Options
    So not withstanding the fact that some recent entries are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and that we have just lost to Dagenham, the current top 5 best Billys are

Billy's Boots
    Billy Wright
    Billy Bragg
    Billy Bonds
    Billy the Fish

all of whom could have got a game with us today, although I think that I would have started Bragg on the bench and only brought him on if we needed someone on the left to drive a (red) wedge through their defence.

Are there any boxing Billys? Was Bombadier Billy Wells one (of the rank gong fame) or have I made that up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite] Are there any boxing Billys? Was Bombadier Billy Wells one (of the rank gong fame) or have I made that up?

Not making it up, Bombardier Billy Wells was indeed a boxer - British and British Empire Champion at Heavyweight from 1911 to 1919 and the first heavyweight to win a Lonsdale Belt. He was also the first Rank 'gong man' as you say. And he would probably have got a game for us today as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tom Hovi[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Are there any boxing Billys? Was Bombadier Billy Wells one (of the rank gong fame) or have I made that up?

Not making it up, Bombardier Billy Wells was indeed a boxer - British and British Empire Champion at Heavyweight from 1911 to 1919 and the first heavyweight to win a Lonsdale Belt. He was also the first Rank 'gong man' as you say. And he would probably have got a game for us today as well.

I am sure he would have got a game and not been so J. Arthur as the rest of them!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tom Hovi[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Are there any boxing Billys? Was Bombadier Billy Wells one (of the rank gong fame) or have I made that up?

I am sure he would have got a game and not been so J. Arthur as the rest of them!

Lol!

He might have been an Addick - he was in the Royal Artillery and based at Woolwich for a while. His Lonsdale Belt was on display with the Mess silver at the barracks there until the Royal Artillery moved out recently. Apparently its now at Larkhill Barracks.
  • Options
    Another boxing Billy was Billy 'Golden Boy' Walker in the 1960s. He fought, and lost to, Henry Cooper for the British heavyweight title and I think he also challenged for the European title but without success. I remember he was a crowd favourite because of his 'never say die' spirit and bravery in the ring. I think he became a succesful property owner with his brother.
  • Options
    Cordoban - mostly drive to games (rarely go) and stay at Billys after - he lives fairly local to The Valley
  • Options
    Billy Wells must have been an addick (re writes history to own ends) and I rememeber my dad going on about Billy Walker (so he must have been as well).

Incidently I come from a bit of a boxing family and had two great uncles from N. Ireland who both used to fight under the name William Orange! This was years ago however and I can find no trace of them on internet searches, they must have been born in around the 1890s.