Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Mills to Hull

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Curbs plucked him out of their reserves on the cheap!

The story I heard was that the English second division were playing a representative match against Serie B in Italy, as the match was at the Valley, Curbs was appointed manager and recruited for his team players who weren't playing regularly from the other teams in the league. As he was interested in signing Mills and I think Eddie Youds he persuaded the relevant teams to lend him those players so he could give them an unofficial trial before signing them. I don't know if it's a true story but it sounds good.

I seem to remember that BFR.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Let's just say that Mills called Shaun Newton a name that Shaun didn't like and neither would have Carl Leaburn. Mark Bright or Keith Jones. So no he wasn't liked by those players or a few others. He didn't just wait to move he asked for a move and his agent was in the papers the day after relegation. Not the leaving but the way he did it but a good player and good business for us. The money meant we could keep Kinsella and buy Keily

I didn't know that but coming from Norwich, it doesn't surprise me. Most Norfolk folk I meet are so insular that they think they need a passport just to leave the county. It really is a very uncosmopolitan part of the world. It doesn't of course excuse that kind of language but I have heard more racist remarks in the 9 years I have lived up here than in the whole of the rest of my life and yet the number of ethnic minority faces you see are very few and far between. Lets hope he's found out a bit about the world since then and doesn't make that mistake again.
  • Options
    Took me a moment to cotton-on to the fact this post was a year old! D'oh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Let's just say that Mills called Shaun Newton a name that Shaun didn't like and neither would have Carl Leaburn. Mark Bright or Keith Jones. So no he wasn't liked by those players or a few others. He didn't just wait to move he asked for a move and his agent was in the papers the day after relegation. Not the leaving but the way he did it but a good player and good business for us. The money meant we could keep Kinsella and buy Keily

I didn't know that but coming from Norwich, it doesn't surprise me. Most Norfolk folk I meet are so insular that they think they need a passport just to leave the county. It really is a very uncosmopolitan part of the world. It doesn't of course excuse that kind of language but I have heard more racist remarks in the 9 years I have lived up here than in the whole of the rest of my life and yet the number of ethnic minority faces you see are very few and far between. Lets hope he's found out a bit about the world since then and doesn't make that mistake again.
    The most racist people I've met are usually from Rural white villages/towns.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I in no way want to defend him if he made an offensive remark but it wouldn't be the first time that a young man (he was 19 or 20 at the time) said something stupid.

As Bing says hopefully he has matured since then. The fact that he regularly appears on BBC programmes as a pundit suggests that he has.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]As Bing says hopefully he has matured since then. The fact that he regularly appears on BBC programmes as a pundit suggests that he has.

does he??

Yeah, I guess in 10 years or so, now he has a family, grown up, earnt loads etc, if the reputation he may have created was true, then lets hope its in the past now. I did cheer him at palace too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

Yeah, I guess in 10 years or so, now he has a family, grown up, earnt loads etc, if the reputation he may have created was true, then lets hope its in the past now.

Exactly. I mean, just look at Lee Bowyer. He was just a kid when he got done for drugs whilst with us but since then he's cleaned up his act and has barely put a foot wrong.

;o)
  • Options
    Danny grew up a lot when his son died of Hydrocephalus in 2002, he's been pretty active raising money for charities, and he's grown up a lot because of that.
  • Options
    didn't know about that. how sad.
    sometimes you forget that people have private sad things going on in their life, when our priority is on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Danny grew up a lot when his son died of Hydrocephalus in 2002, he's been pretty active raising money for charities, and he's grown up a lot because of that.

Didn't know that. Good for him. Never really understood what all of the fuss/booing with him was about in the first place. He did well for us in terms of the performances he put in on the pitch and in the profit we made on him, so it's all good really.

Plus he gave it plenty away at Ipswich that time - what a great day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DM on joining Charlton:
    http://www.dannymills.co.uk/news_31_08_2007.html
  • Options
    Great interview from earlier this year, including a reference to the loss of his son Archie to spina bifida and hydrocephalus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=443584&in_page_id=1779
  • Options
    Didn't know about the loss of his son.

Sad.
  • Options
    Didn't know that either. Must be so difficult to have a career in the public eye when something like that happens (difficult for anyone, of course.)

I was delighted when we re-signed him, and he's clearly already made a difference to the defence.