Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Mills to Hull

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
How are the mighty fallen - Danny Mills gone on loan to Hull for two months.

His career has really nosedived in recent years!

Comments

• Options
    Blimey! Didnt he get some games at the World Cup 4 years ago?
  • Options
    ..although couldn't he have done us a favour over the next few weeks with our situation!
  • Options
    If Luke is going to be played at left back for the next few weeks, he could of done a job for us on a month's loan.

Not the most popular bloke with fans and team mates, Robbie Fowler said he could start a fight in an empty room, but he always gives you 100%.
  • Options
    Great minds Eltham !

I suspect he has had a bust up at City, and they want him away from the place sharp.
  • Options
    I'm sure I've seen Mills play centre half before as well....certainly aint afraid to put himself in where it hurts
  • Options
    But the PL transfer window is closed.

Anyway isn't Hull the way to get to Everton ? ;-)
  • Options
    if he's got 1905 and curb_it directing him then he'll end up there!
  • Options
    I've never really understood why he got a hard time when he came back to the Valley, did he have a pop at us when he left?
  • Options
    we got relegated and wasn't he one of the only ones to jump ship? he thought he was better than he was and didn't want to stick around and help get us up. I guess we didn't need people like that around!

i heard he was a nasty piece of work and not that well liked in the dressing room.
  • Options
    i think with Mills it was a case that you tend to boo good players, yet random non-entities get a warm reception.

Mills was good for us, cried when we got relegated, and the money we got for him got us promoted again. Never said anything derogatory towards us, got a good reception when he first come back, got stuck in to a couple of players and a lot of people turned on him.

I have no problem with the bloke whatsoever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More a case if we got rid of Mills we could keep Kinsella I thought. With some of his money we brought in Keily so the club was the winner in that one!
  • Options
    I always understood it to be a Mills or Kinsella goes situation with Curbs.

AFKA's comments on Mills are my thoughts - I have no problem with him and think he pushes Johnny H close as my favourite right back.

Socred on his debut at Crewe as well and had him at 33s.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]More a case if we got rid of Mills we could keep Kinsella I thought. With some of his money we brought in Keily so the club was the winner in that one!

i think curbs basically said that Mills wanted to go and for that price they would have been mad not to let him as he wasnt as key to the team as Kinsella. they wanted to keep kins at all cost.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah I seem to recall that he wanted to go (may have thought he was outgrowing Charlton - the usual England place thing as well) and we did make a big profit on him- I can't remember how much we paid Norwich for him but I have a feeling it was something like £225k -250k.

I think it's common knowledge that he does have something of an `attitude' problem!
  • Options
    i think we signed him from £350k, and sold for £2.75m

At the time, Leeds were on the up, and he got in the England squad about 3 days before. I certainly don't begrudge him that move.

The funny thing was Narridge fans illundated us with how ripped off we had been !
  • Options
    As I recall he couldn't get in the Norwich side when we bought him - Curbs plucked him out of their reserves on the cheap!
  • Options
    Curbs plucked him out of their reserves on the cheap!

The story I heard was that the English second division were playing a representative match against Serie B in Italy, as the match was at the Valley, Curbs was appointed manager and recruited for his team players who weren't playing regularly from the other teams in the league. As he was interested in signing Mills and I think Eddie Youds he persuaded the relevant teams to lend him those players so he could give them an unofficial trial before signing them. I don't know if it's a true story but it sounds good.
  • Options
    Mills was one of Curbs' best bits of business.
    500k from Norwich reserves and sold him for £4m a season and a bit later.
    Who remembers him destroying Julian Dicks at the Valley - think that ended Dicks' Premiership career
  • Options
    I think he went to Leeds for around £4,250,000, but Norwich took a cut of the profit.
  • Options
    I remember that. Still think that DM's finest moment was the last gasp goal at villa park that kept us up till the final game of the season.

Aside from the play off final, I think that was the best game I have ever seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's just say that Mills called Shaun Newton a name that Shaun didn't like and neither would have Carl Leaburn. Mark Bright or Keith Jones. So no he wasn't liked by those players or a few others. He didn't just wait to move he asked for a move and his agent was in the papers the day after relegation. Not the leaving but the way he did it but a good player and good business for us. The money meant we could keep Kinsella and buy Keily
  • Options
    really, was never aware of that.

perhaps he's waiting for Big Ron to re-enter the game ??
  • Options
    That's sad to hear, Henry - I liked him as a player as well.
  • Options
    I also feel that's sad to hear- I was probably wearing my Charlton tinted glasses, but i thought he was excellent at France 2002 and did a good job for us. The goal at Villa was wonderful!

But if had stayed- would we have Luke Young?
  • Options
    Leeds in that era ensured our promotion twice, with paying 3.6 million for Bowyer and then 4.25 million for Mills.

I thought Mills di OK in Japorea in 2002; France was 98.

We all love Leeds and Leeds?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]. Japorea in 2002; France was 98.

I need a "smack on head" smiley thingy- i was in France watching France get beat by Senegal in 2002!!

Stand corrected! :-)
  • Options
    This is what was being discussed this time last year. Funny old game init?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]This is what was being discussed this time last year. Funny old game init?

Do some work Off_it ...LOL
  • Options
    Nah, can't be arsed. Feel sleepy and want to go home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]we got relegated and wasn't he one of the only ones to jump ship? he thought he was better than he was and didn't want to stick around and help get us up. I guess we didn't need people like that around!

i heard he was a nasty piece of work and not that well liked in the dressing room.

We got a serious good offer for him by Leeds. I think he would have stayed but the dosh was too much for the club to ignore for a player who cost well under a million less then two seasons earlier.

He comes from Norwich and I know one or two who know him quite well. I don't think he's disliked indeed I heard that his demeanour is quite mild away from the game.

I for one cheered him at Palarse last week.