Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Books for World Book Day

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]We may have been meant to read it, which is different to actually reading it !

Actually don't think we ever had to read a book in full in English, just extracts etc.

You need to set Dylan and Jake an example.

The Hungry Caterpillar is good and the above mentioned Dr Seuss. Even you could manage them in one sitting.

Might even improve your writing : - )
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]which is today.

Its tomorrow !!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]which is today.

Its tomorrow !!!!!

Thought it was Thursday 3rd.
  • Options
    It will be the day when they release the results of a survey saying that x% of children are now turning off their tv's in favour of books.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]The book that inspired you - The Pianist - Władysław Szpilman.

The book that you loved as a child - any Dr Seuss - It's how I learned to read!

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Treasure Island!

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins. FACT ;-)

The book I manage PR for!... shameless plug... OUT TODAY!
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The book I manage PR for!... shameless plug... OUT TODAY!

"I love this book! Ursula strips off her logical, left-brained, hypnotherapists cloak to reveal some
    deeply personal insights into howmoon magic and psychic skillshave become a part of her life."

Sorry, but I'm out

Oh. Why's that?... ;-) It's not exactly a book for football fans... or men at all actually! Just thought I'd give it a mention!

I should also mention Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson - best football book EVER.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The book I manage PR for!... shameless plug... OUT TODAY!

"I love this book! Ursula strips off her logical, left-brained, hypnotherapists cloak to reveal some
    deeply personal insights."

Sorry, but I'm out

Oh I don't know, I'm getting a semi reading that!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]

Sorry, but I'm out

I think you might be disappointed if you read the whole book but
    The Red Robin will be happy : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    Have never really understand where other than on holiday, anyone gets the time to read a book. Train maybe, but then when do you read a newspaper ??

I mainly read on the train. I gave up newspapers (except at weekends) about 8 years ago so I could read more books. Never regretted it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]

Sorry, but I'm out

I think you might be disappointed if you read the whole book but
    The Red Robin will be happy : - )

I'll be sure to pass your thoughts on!
  • Options
    Surely everyone knows it is Paper in the morning to work and book on way home in the evening.

The book that inspired you - never really had a book the inspired me
    The book that you loved as a child - The Goalkeepers Revenge
    The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Memoirs of a Geisha

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Stephen Hawking, A brief history of time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The book that inspired you To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

The book that you loved as a child Stig of the Dump - Clive King

The book that you would take with you to a desert island Home & Away - Colin Cameron

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should Catcher in the Rye, Catch 22 or perhaps some other book with the the word catch in the title. Perhaps To Catch a Thief.
  • Options
    Book that inspired you - Difficult to answer, but as above, To Kill A Mockingbird certainly stands out. Long may it be stay on the school syllabus.

Book that you loved as a child - Your Code Name Is Jonah (or any of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' stories)

Book that you would take to a desert island - The Name Of The Rose - Umberto Eco

Book that you've never got round to reading but think you should - Despite being an avid reader I'll always be playing catch up as long as I live, such is the endless list of classics. If I had to choose one that is always nodding at me from my bookshelf it's Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. It's supposed to be quite a challenge but The Name Of The Rose is such a joy to read I have to pick it up one day. Be interested to hear if anybody else has read it. And their opinion of it.
  • Options
    I loved name of the rose but couldn't get in foucaults pendulum. Similar style but very dense.

Have you ever read the Periodic Table by Primo Levi, Dec, lots of short pieces but I'm sure Eco was influenced by Levi.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The book that inspired you - A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Book I loved as a child - John of The Sirius - Doris Chadwick

Book I would take to a desert island - The Complete History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Book I've never got round to reading - The Pianist - Wladyslaw Szpilman
  • Options
    Book that made you laugh the most - can't decide between Catch 22 and Portnoy's Complaint.
  • Options
    Oh man alive, I'd forgotten about Portnoy's Complaint, that's hilarious. Any book that has a chapter titled Whacking Off has got to be good!
  • Options
    The book that inspired you -1984 George Orwell

Book I loved as a child - The Eagle of the Ninth Rosemary Sutcliff or Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain

Book I would take to a desert island - The Complete Works of William Shakespeare...this is assuming I don't have a Theatre Group there to perform them, because Shakespeare is to be seen and especially heard, but if not then I'll read him.

Book I've never got round to reading - The f*cking Da Vinci Code after about ten pages when I realised it was total crap, likewise any Harry Potter.
  • Options
    The book that inspired you - Flanagan's Run

The book that you loved as a child - Watership Down

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus

Let me save you the trouble: Men go off alone and think about stuff, women like to talk it out but dont want practical advice. That really is it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I loved name of the rose but couldn't get in foucaults pendulum. Similar style but very dense.

Have you ever read the Periodic Table by Primo Levi, Dec, lots of short pieces but I'm sure Eco was influenced by Levi.

Not read any Primo Levi, mate. He's on the list, although I was intending to start with If This Is A Man (although perhaps not on holiday).

Yes, the density of Foucault's Pendulum is the obstacle I need to get over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I loved name of the rose but couldn't get in foucaults pendulum. Similar style but very dense.

Not read any Primo Levi, mate. He's on the list, although I was intending to start with If This Is A Man (although perhaps not on holiday).

No, not beach holiday stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The book that inspired you

The Iron Fist - Jack London

The book that you loved as a child

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen - Alan Garner - I won it in a writing competition

The book that you would take with you to a desert island

A prayer for Owen Meany - John Irvine

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should

The Stand (author's edit)- Stephen King - on my bookcase
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]The Stand (author's edit)- Stephen King - on my bookcase

His best book by far.
  • Options
    Book that inspired you: 'The Aventures of Richard Hannay: Omnibus Edition'. Four novels inluding 'The 39 Steps', by John Buchan.

Book you loved as a child: 'Wind in the Willows' by Kenneth Graham.

Book to take to a desert island: may I take the 'Complete Works of Shakespeare'? With a lot of time on my hands I may be able to make sense of them! If not, I'll take Chambers''Biographical Dictionary'.

Book I should have got round to reading: any Charles Dickens' book. Just hasn't happened but there's still time, I hope!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]The Stand (author's edit)- Stephen King - on my bookcase

His best book by far.

That's a bit like saying Elliott is the best goalkeeper at Charlton, in my not very 'umble opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]

KY should do the trick
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

No, not beach holiday stuff.

I actually did read 'If This is a Man' on holiday, but my edition also had 'The Truce' in it, which was helpful for bringing me back to normality.
  • Options
    The book that inspired you - Monty by Nigel Hamilton

The book that you loved as a child - Charles Buchan's Football Annual (any year).

The book that you would take with you to a desert island - Wisden (any year)

The book that you've never got round to reading that you think you should - Last years Wisden (still on the shelf) or Winston Churchill's "History of WW2" (6 volumes).

As you can see, its Sport & Military History for me, rather than fiction.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

His best book by far.

That's a bit like saying Elliott is the best goalkeeper at Charlton, in my not very 'umble opinion.

King may write formulaic popularist fiction but he always draws his characters and setting painstakingly before he embarks on any action, leading you to care what happens to the protagonists. Contrast with the huge best-seller The Da Vinco Code (thankfully not nominated in this thread) where we barely know the hero's name before he is being chased through Paris in some mysterious twaddle.