Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
It has been reported that Scott Parker, as West Ham Captain today gave a half-time dressing speech of Chuchillian proportions. It inspired Carlton Cole and the like to recover from 3 - nil down to draw the game 3-3 against WBA.
I like Parker. I have always thought he has got a raw deal from England. He was a better option than Hargreaves, Carrick and even Lampard (at international level defiantly in Franks case).

I hate the way people on here have a go at him. He did nothing wrong in my opinion, apart from not taking good advice. He was always going to leave us but Chelsea at that time was the wrong option. You can't blame him though. Football is a career. He got sold a dream by Chelsea. If he'd had stayed to the end of that season he may have gone to Old Trafford as Keane was on his way out. He'd be England and Man U now captain if he had.

Well done Scotty. I want WHU to go down but Parker is quality.

So where was the WHU manager when Parker was delivering his words of wisdom? With the masseur???????

Comments

• Options
    If, Wet Spam go down, who could Parker move to?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]If, Wet Spam go down, who could Parker move to?

Probably 16/17 out of the 20 clubs in the Prem.I'd say only Man U/City/Chel/Arse wouldn't want him.
  • Options
    Will always hate him

Could have stayed until the end of the season or even not signed the 5 year deal and done his strike act the summer beforehand

How many players who leave a club in January unless the club need the money or don't want the player come out smelling of roses?

Barely had a word to say about us since he left either

Gave him as much stick as I do to Defoe on Wednesday night and that will never ever change

We would have played European football the following season if he'd given us not even five more months in repayment for the years we'd given him... now I doubt we'll ever get that close again

Will never forgive him for that as apart from to see us win something, i.e. league cup/fa cup, to see us play in Europe is/was my Charlton ambition
  • Options
    And giving DeFoe and Parker stick when they've played against us has really helped hasn't it?
  • Options
    Personally I can't see the point in "blaming" him for us not getting into Eurpoe. We might not have done it anyway - anything could've happened. And yet some people want to harp back and blame it all on one man.

He's a professional that moved on to a better/bigger club for more money to further his ambition. Didn't exactly work out as he'd planned no doubt, but that's what happens. Could've played one more game for us and suffered a career threatening injury - or could've gone on to captain England whilst still at The Valley. We'll never know.

Sure I was upset when he left, but that was years ago now. Move on. Life's too short to be hating anyone, let alone someone you've never met.
  • Options
    Chirpy I have never given either stick when they played us... especially Defoe (apart from at WHL this season as it was a foregone conclusion anyway)... too scared as that always comes back to haunt us!

I'm only "harping" back Off_it as I've been invited to by this post ;-)

and yes we might not have done it anyway but we'd have had a far far better chance with him than with £10M in the bank on Jan 31st
  • Options
    And we might not.

Unless you've got a TARDIS mate I'd suggest that you try and forget about it. No point hating someone over something like that.

Now, if it was Marcus Bent - fire away!
  • Options
    I think saying "hate" in a sporting context is different to "hatred" in real life... we may "hate" Palace or Millwall or Defoe or whoever but that's rivalry or a sporting grudge.

And as for trying to forget about it... it's not something that haunts my very soul on a daily basis, I am offering an opinion about it on a thread that invited me to do so - I don't need therapy about it! (honest) ;-)
  • Options
    Ah, so not "hate" as in "hatred", but "hate" in the sporting sense of the word. That's cleared that up then for me ISLS.
    ;o)

*Note to self: go to bed
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Luke Wilkshire the player Parker could've been if he'd stayed with us a couple more months?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]He did nothing wrong in my opinion, apart from not taking good advice.

Not sure about that. Handing in a transfer request in January when you're the focal point of a team that's achieving what we were is bang out of order. BUT he was young then and everybody has made misakes in their youth, he'd probably admit it. I think if he'd stayed at us another couple of seasons he'd be playing reguarly for a side at the top of the prem rather than the bottom. Going and failing at Chelsea means most people assume he can't cut it at the top level - which probably cost him his England career.
  • Options
    The Chelsea Parker move was one for Chelsea to buy our best player to undermine Charlton as a competitive threat. He was never going to get a sniff at Chelsea. They barely played him. We were 4th having played most of the difficult top teams away from home and with a pretty good run in. We were winning games and it looked like we could even come in at 4th.

Parker going was the start of the slide of Charlton as a team and club. Curbs seemed to lose heart after that. I can understand the tripling of his wages was hard to turn down (but he seemed to get into gambling big wedges of that whilst he was wasting his time at Chelsea); but he had been at Charlton since a junior. He could have helped us to achieve something special for a club of our size. He is a good player but he wasted his talent and undermined his career big time with the move to Chelsea.

It's history, but it still happened, and it is not like he has ever admitted he made a mistake.

I know that can be hard for charlton to resist that kind of money or the demands of a player who wants to leave but in this case, I think it was a mistake to let him leave. Blackpool didn't let Charlie McAdam leave this transfer window, fair play to them for that.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am with Chirpy on this one. I think that there was quite a bit of spin from Curbs and from people like Martin Simmons at the time that Parker was a bad boy for wanting out.

As I understand it, he was due to be sold to them the previous summer but Abramovitch took over and he was not the stellar target that fitted his purpose.

For me he is a fantastic player. He should have been a regular for England. He is the best English midfielder currently playing who can play the holding role. He is more than a holding midfielder but he can playing that defensive role so well in breaking up attacks and getting the ball forward. He is an English Makele in my view.

Its possible to make cases for Lampard, Barry, Gerrard as being more gifted players than Scot. The problem for me, especially Lampard and Gerrard, is that they almost never bring their club form to England. I know that Scot would. He is capable as he showed the other day, of doing this.

I hope, even at this late stage in his career, that Capello has finally realised this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Will always hate him
    Could have stayed until the end of the season or even not signed the 5 year deal and done his strike act the summer beforehand
    How many players who leave a club in January unless the club need the money or don't want the player come out smelling of roses?
    Barely had a word to say about us since he left either
    Gave him as much stick as I do to Defoe on Wednesday night and that will never ever change
    We would have played European football the following season if he'd given us not even five more months in repayment for the years we'd given him... now I doubt we'll ever get that close again
    Will never forgive him for that as apart from to see us win something, i.e. league cup/fa cup, to see us play in Europe is/was my Charlton ambition
    With you 100%
  • Options
    When he comes out and apologises for what he did I'll think about forgiving him, until then I couldn't care less about the little rat. I 100% believe Parker leaving was the start of our demise.
  • Options
    This will always divide us - I tend to agree with Stu and ISaw - he should have stayed until the summer. Although, to be honest I never thought he'd see out that 5-year deal - I assumed he did that so that the club would get a big fee for him when he went.
  • Options
    doubt europe would have ever happened for us we dont roll like that lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]If, Wet Spam go down, who could Parker move to?

Probably 16/17 out of the 20 clubs in the Prem.I'd say only Man U/City/Chel/Arse wouldn't want him.

Think he'd slot into arsenals team perfectly and could be what they need; I reckon he'll go spurs though
  • Options
    In THAT January, I saw him in the crowd with his brother at Gillingham (CUP) when he was said to have a "knock" and couldn't play.

When I asked him about staying / going face to face, he was catagorical that he would see the season out.

Curbs later told the story of him not wanting to be Cup tied against the Gills, and then straight after the next game at The Valley, running up to Curbs in the Directors bar and demanding "what is happening about my transfer?" with his hair still dripping from a post-match shower.

Robbie Keane "playing for his only boyhood heroes - Spurs......er.....Liverpool......er er er Celtic.........er er West Ham".
    Eddie "Mr Bournemouth" Howe....."I've decided to stay here as manager and sign a 2 year contract extension".
    Robbie Savage...."I'm moving from Brum to Blackburn to be closer to my mum"

and sadly, our own Scotty Parker..........all in the same category.

P.S. I never tire of seeing that Johnny Robinson goal against MUFC on the big screen before a game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I am with Chirpy on this one. I think that there was quite a bit of spin from Curbs and from people like Martin Simmons at the time that Parker was a bad boy for wanting out.

Oh come on Bing.
    That episode knocked the stuffing out of Curbishley.
    We had been in the top 4 for something like 5 weeks; stuffed Chelsea on the boxing day and beat Spurs away in the same week
    We were well on course for our best ever finish under Curbs and had a strong shout for a Champions league spot.
    Chelsea then tapped up our best player and he demanded he be allowed to move as he would rather rot in the reserves than play for us again.
    No spin required.

Yes, Chirpy we should move on, but it sticks in the craw playing suck-arse to Parker when you think of what might have been.
    I'm with ISaw in this respect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with every word of the OP. I think he was the natural replacement for Keane in as much as anyone can be, and would offer Man U more than Carrick ever could or Arsenal more than Song or Eboue. Really good player.
  • Options
    the two things which angered me about his move were the timing and the fact that he was a much better player than someone who was to sit on the bench for Chelsea. Imagine him adding that much needed steel to Arsenals midfield .

I honestly believe if he had waited until the end of that season he would've got a better move elsewhere or got the chance to pay in Europe for us.

The fact that only now when it's probably too late for him as an international that he's getting complimented was his own fault but I still think it's mad that he hasn't been in that England squad for at least the last three years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]the two things which angered me about his move were the timing and the fact that he was a much better player than someone who was to sit on the bench for Chelsea. Imagine him adding that much needed steel to Arsenals midfield .

I honestly believe if he had waited until the end of that season he would've got a better move elsewhere or got the chance to pay in Europe for us.

Yes, indeed and I and a lot of other fans would have been a lot more understanding and wished him well.
    Who knows, if we had secured a Champions league spot instead of Chelsea he might have even wanted to stay and be part of it.
    Unless of course it was about the money.

That's all conjecture but for me, monsieur you just ruined our perfect season.
  • Options
    I thought he played great against Denmark and had me wistfully recalling him in our shirt. I'm not bitter anymore...the greedy little barsteward. No really I just accept that players are money motivated. Contracts stand for nothing. Clubs do the same thing when it suits them, like Newcastle wanting Carrol out.
  • Options
    Greedy self centered tosser.
    I would like to see him win fcuk all (and go down to the championship with WH).
  • Options
    Doesn't it strike anyone that if one player was responsible for us losing our European dream blah blah, then he was also the key to getting us to 4th in the first place. The timing sucked, but it cost him more than it cost us. He is a decent player but not irreplaceable. It was great to have him as long as we did. I'm not bitter he left, any one of is would have done the same thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]but it cost him more than it cost us

you're having a laugh aren't you!

The Parker saga was the beginning of the end for our PL adventure, it was certainly an episode that left Curbs questioning it all, as he himself admitted in his book. Where are we now?
  • Options
    Combining league position and involvment in the team, Parkers best years are still with Charlton. Hope he plays the next competitive game for England he certainly deserves it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]but it cost him more than it cost us

you're having a laugh aren't you!

The Parker saga was the beginning of the end for our PL adventure, it was certainly an episode that left Curbs questioning it all, as he himself admitted in his book. Where are we now?

Agreed, but i think it was compounded by the fact that Curbs didn't get all the £10 million and some to try and replace him and others that had left.
  • Options
    Completely agree with ISaw here. He is a tosser and I'll never forgive him for what he did. There is no justifying his decision. He was in the England squad by then at us anyway, and we were above them. It was about one, simple thing - £££££. So sod him.

Having said that, I have found it hard to want him to fail, as ignoring what I think of him personally, I think he is a fucking superb player, probably the best I have seen at Charlton in my 18 years of going, and it always annoyed me when he was with us - and even since he has left - that he appears to be underrated to the likes of Lampard, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jenas etc etc etc