Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What does it all mean?

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Was looking at this transfer window as a bit of a barometer of how much money our new owners have got.

Not looking too good is it?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Well they've paid off a three-man managerial team

They've paid Powell's compensation

They will have paid compensation for Dyer

£125k plus healthy wages for BWP, Eccleston will be on a high-end wage for us, I'd imagine Bessone's wages would be on the higher end as well. Will be surprised if another couple don't turn up on loan. I think they've weighed it up and decided to chance it this season and rebuild in the summer.

That's a fair outlay in a month for a division three team.
  • Bwp. Ecclestone, the fella from Leeds I ain't moaning and I reckon. Come the 8th we will get 2 more
  • Means very little either way IMO. Powell's not long been in the job to work out what we need and which players are right for the club. Players are often more expensive into January window. It's not like we've spent nothing at all, compensation for Powell and Dyer, wages and or loan fees for Eccleston and Bessone, we paid off Parky, Kinsella and Breacker, and are probably paying BWP a decent wage as well as the transfer fee to Plymouth.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Was looking at this transfer window as a bit of a barometer of how much money our new owners have got.

Were you expecting us to go for Torres or something?! Havent heard of many deals in the leagues below the Prem.
  • Slater has said that they weren't intending to throw money at the team without thought - and that good housekeeping will play it's part.

What were people expecting straightaway?
  • I'd expect another loanee in when the loan window opens up. You also have to believe that CP has run a slide rule over the squad and maybe believes that there is more there that people think.

Its not just who is in the squad, its how you get the best out of them. Brighton and especially Bournmouth haven't splashed the money around yet they sit first and second.

We have some under performers. One or two don't appear to be up to much but the rest is very competitive in this division.

We have both no 1 and no 2 leading scorers currently in the Division
    Benson is a proven goal scorer but hasn't really had come to the party yet.
    Joe A is a decent striker at this level.
    Waggy is a real live wire and I think could make a real difference in the run in.
    Reid is good enough if CP can get inside his head
    Mac is competent at this level
    Semedo and Racon are better than this level
    At CBs we have three old warhorses plus Llera, plus possibly Mambo
    And at full Backs we have the new bloke, plus Fry (if not recalled) plus Francis, and Jenkinson.
    We are a bit light in the keeping dept but I reckon we'll sign somebody of lioan if Robbie is injured.

Not a bad squad provided they are motivated and we get behind them.
  • I like the movements behind the scenes - investing in a solid backroom is vital to success on the field so I have no quibbles with the payoffs for Powell and Dyer. This team will have the rest of the season to change the way we have played - early signs vs Plymouth were promising - and come the summer the backroom guys will have a clear list of targets to fill in the weak areas so we can battle for promotion - from the Championship I hope!

I am comfortable with the developments and see that the awful knee-jerk decisions is now well and truly buried in the past! Onwards and upwards we go...
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd expect another loanee in when the loan window opens up. You also have to believe that CP has run a slide rule over the squad and maybe believes that there is more there that people think.

Its not just who is in the squad, its how you get the best out of them. Brighton and especially Bournmouth haven't splashed the money around yet they sit first and second.

We have some under performers. One or two don't appear to be up to much but the rest is very competitive in this division.

Waggy is a real live wire and I think could make a real difference in the run in.
    And at full Backs we have the new bloke, plus Fry (if not recalled) plus Francis, and Jenkinson.
    We are a bit light in the keeping dept but I reckon we'll sign somebody of lioan if Robbie is injured.

Well written and said!
  • we just need a baller now someone to find the pass for the strikers to run on too, i reckon now all the premier league deals are done you will have fringe players looking for the moves to get out and ply football for a few months before looking to move on again in the summer or to show their boss they are too good not to play.

watchout for a bostock style move in the next 10 days
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we just need a baller now someone to find the pass for the strikers to run on too, i reckon now all the premier league deals are done you will have fringe players looking for the moves to get out and ply football for a few months before looking to move on again in the summer or to show their boss they are too good not to play.

Completely agree and maybe a centerhalf with a bit of pace and thats it done. Even if no one comes in now (although i think they wil) this team can push on now. So many more options upfront. Need a Bostock/Shelvey type player in on loan to sit in the middle supplying BWP and nathan while Semedo does the holding job.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd expect another loanee in when the loan window opens up. You also have to believe that CP has run a slide rule over the squad and maybe believes that there is more there that people think.

Agreed, Plus possibly Solly at right back if he carries on getting fit.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we just need a baller now someone to find the pass for the strikers to run on too, i reckon now all the premier league deals are done you will have fringe players looking for the moves to get out and ply football for a few months before looking to move on again in the summer or to show their boss they are too good not to play.

Completely agree and maybe a centerhalf with a bit of pace and thats it done. Even if no one comes in now (although i think they wil) this team can push on now. So many more options upfront. Need a Bostock/Shelvey type player in on loan to sit in the middle supplying BWP and nathan while Semedo does the holding job.

Agree with you both. If we don't get that CM in then Racon really needs to step up to the plate. Semedo does the vast amount of the dog work in there, Racon needs to score and more importantly create far more than he does.
  • [cite]Posted By: better red than dead[/cite]Agreed, Plus possibly Solly at right back if he carries on getting fit.

Yes I thought I'd included Solly.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we just need a baller now someone to find the pass for the strikers to run on too, i reckon now all the premier league deals are done you will have fringe players looking for the moves to get out and ply football for a few months before looking to move on again in the summer or to show their boss they are too good not to play.

Agree with you both. If we don't get that CM in then Racon really needs to step up to the plate. Semedo does the vast amount of the dog work in there, Racon needs to score and more importantly create far more than he does.

Just not 100% sure Racon has that vision needed to pick those passes, he is best at helping Semedo break up play but with those 2 up front we need just a little bit more than a spoiler.
  • This transfer window underlines what a disaterous innovation it has become.
    Designed to level the playing field, it in fact infllates prices (Carroll anyone?) puts the fear into the hearts of managers and directors alike and achieves none of its original goals.
    Get rid of the whole concept, I say

Charlton have done remarkably well I reckon
  • Oh I daresay that some people are moaning, somewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]This transfer window underlines what a disaterous innovation it has become.
    Designed to level the playing field, it in fact infllates prices (Carroll anyone?) puts the fear into the hearts of managers and directors alike and achieves none of its original goals.
    Get rid of the whole concept, I say

So what do you have then, just one transfer window or you can sign someone at any point in the season after a months notice, Lets face it most employers can get more employees when they like and most employees can leave work after a months notice. So in your opinion what would be better.
  • I also believe everyone that thinks Carroll was over inflated (and yes its a lot of money) but if the two forwards they have brought in get them in the Champions league (and yes thats a big if) but this is football and stranger things have happened. If they actually manage that the those two players have cost nothing at all, because believe me they wouldn't have got there with a sulky torres
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Slater has said that they weren't intending to throw money at the team without thought - and that good housekeeping will play it's part.

But i thought he was just saying that to keep the prices down.;-) in all seriousness though im not moaning and think the squad is nearly there. Would've just liked to see one ore two more signings,not loans,to really kick us along. Just think we're a little bit short thats all.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Slater has said that they weren't intending to throw money at the team without thought - and that good housekeeping will play it's part.

Thats fine Oggy but he didn't say he wasn't intending to throw money at the team with thought. Is that saying they just didn't think about it or did think but didn't feel they needed anyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• We haven't sold any key players.

If we hadn't had the takeover I doubt I would have been able to say that.

The players who've come in aren't shabby meanwhile the loan option is still available till March.

Not much spent but the other clubs in the mix have also brought people in.

Bing has given a good analysis of the squad. Now up to CP et al to get the best out of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Bwp. Ecclestone, the fella from Leeds I ain't moaning and I reckon. Come the 8th we will get 2 more

Loans coming in may be delayed a bit to ensure that if we make the play offs as oppossed to auto, the loanees are still available for those matches. As they are emergency loans they are on a fixed period, unless like Fry they are youth loans.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Was looking at this transfer window as a bit of a barometer of how much money our new owners have got.

Arsenal didn't make too many signings, must be skint.
  • I think Newcastle have played a blinder - £35 million for Carroll! That would only happen in the January window - they can keep that money safe until the summer and pick up some good players for a lot less.
  • Sign of a coach (CP) who believes he can get something more out of the current squad, just a few tweaks obviously. That's better news than CP making drastic changes at this point. I am more optimistic now that we can improve our promotion chances, particularly with the recently announced management set-up: CP, AD, DM and KP. Again, I am really looking forward to tonights game rather than just going along!
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I think Newcastle have played a blinder - £35 million for Carroll! That would only happen in the January window - they can keep that money safe until the summer and pick up some good players for a lot less.

Thats probably a good theory until you realise that come the summer it will be Mr Pardew picking up those good players.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Was looking at this transfer window as a bit of a barometer of how much money our new owners have got.

Were you expecting us to go for Torres or something?! Havent heard of many deals in the leagues below the Prem.

Except for Sheffield Wednesday, who seem to have brought in a whole new team to go with the new team they brought in in the summer.
  • Desperation rather than ambition methinks.
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Was looking at this transfer window as a bit of a barometer of how much money our new owners have got.

Arsenal didn't make too many signings, must be skint.
    thing is smart arse,they havn't got simon francis playing at right back have they.

depends on how you want to look upon i suppose.

If your expectations were they were going to through a lot of money at it in an attempt to get us promoted in 5 months time, then no it isn't looking good.

If your expectations are for providing a solid platform where the club attempts to live within its means with a more sustainable growth, then yes it does look ok as no one has left.

I'm personally disappointed an improvement to what we have at centre half hasn't arrived. It may well do in the next few weeks in the loan market, but i saw that as our key objective in the transfer window, and it hasn't happened.

I still expect 2-3 loans to emerge before the end of the season, the success and quality of those will probably dictate how our season pans out.

But i'm more optimistic about our future than i was a month ago, which to me is a positive.